Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What would you do?

BillP57
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What would you do?

I recently received a request from the HS yearbook sports editor to use some of my photos in exchange for a "free" ad in the yearbook, as his staff was not able to get to all sports. I responded to I was willing to consider the offer and wanted to know the value of the ads. He did mention that if I wanted "money" he would have to talk to his adviser.

The next email I received had a list of sports he needed, football cross country, gymnastics, girls soccer, boys soccer, indoor track, outdoor track, golf, baseball, softball, boys tennis, wrestling, girls lacrosse, and girls basketball and that he needs about 15 images of football and basketball and 5-7 of each of the others. My first thought was "what did they cover?". This is much more than what the first email seemed to be talking about and would be about 100 images.

I would like to help out, but this is way more than an ad is worth and I would like to know what a fair starting point might be. I have not dealt with yearbook before and I know it's a fundraiser, but I don't want to be taken advantage of or take advantage of the kid in this situation. The HS has over 1500 students and I am sure the yearbook committee pays a photographer for student portraits.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Bill

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:23 PM
hleidich
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What would you do?

In my case, I donate pictures for use in the yearbook...I get access others don't and my kids are often on the teams I cover. I haven't seen any pictures used outside of the yearbook so I don't feel I'm "being abused". Outdoor sports they can cover ok but indoor stuff, the school just doesn't have the equipment for decent pics...I don't mind contributing this way.

If family or individuals want prints, then I do charge.

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:24 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #3 · What would you do?

I share with the yearbooks where I do T&I for the school. It's a goodwill thing. They don't ask for much. It's part of my contract to furnish the team photo for the Yearbook. I'll fill in some action if they ask... Most of the time, they don't ask. I don't go out and shoot action for the yearbook. I shoot for MaxPreps. There are times when they look at the MP galleries and see I shot something they didn't and ask for a filler shot.

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:26 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #4 · What would you do?

I provide all of the team photos to the yearbook for the schools that I take the T&I shots for. I also send them a few action shots from the games that I shoot. Having nice photos in the yearbook seems to generate more T&I opportunities for me each year. Our school yearbooks do not have the money to pay for photos. A half page add in our local high school yearbook runs about $250. I would offer a limited number of photos to them and see if they would give you the free add space.

Jeff

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:47 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #5 · What would you do?

I do have sideline access, but I do not shoot for the school or have any contract with the school. I shoot for sales to parents and some of the coaches purchase collages for senior gifts. I wouldn't have a problem with filling in a few photos for the yearbook, as I said in my original post. I just get the feeling from the original email that they didn't do their job and are now looking for someone to bail them out.

Excerpt from original email "Me and my team were not able to take pictures of every sport. Andi was wondering if i could use some of your amazing pictures that you have taken and post on your website. I can repay the favor with an ad in the 2013 KHS Maroon. If you would rather money then I would need to look and ask
permission from my adviser."

Thanks for the replies. Hearing other opinions I will probably just give them the images with the understanding they are for the yearbook only and let it go at that. The thing that got me is that I will be supplying about 80-85% of the sports photos in the yearbook, for just and ad.

Bill

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · What would you do?

Ok....this could be a foot in the door. Typically in the past, for 3 or 4 photos I got a 1/4 page add in the yearbook. Anything more, I was paid and did have to go through the yearbook advisor. But I always worked with the yearbook advisor to stay under their budget for extra photos. I would also go into to class talk to the yearbook class about copyright infringement, why pay is important, and how to approach a photographer for image use in the yearbook. The last school I booster shot for, they would contact me with a list of images, and I would come back with a deal for them, within their budget. The more they bought, the lower the per image price would be. So lets say they wanted one photo and I quoted $50. If they wanted 10 photos, I would drop that to $40 an image. But the photos also lead to senior photos, T&I, and other photo opportunities.

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · What would you do?

Bill: I wouldn't do it. In the case of those who have responded, there's been a ying to the yang, but in your case it seems you are being asked you to just give away a bunch of your photos. Maybe it's a good cause, but even so, there's a limit to what might be expected 'for free,' and this request far exceeds that limit. As for foot in the door, I doubt the high school kid who is asking for the photos is in a position to turn this into a business opportunity for you, so if that's the hope, some higher authority would have to be involved in the negotiations.

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:30 PM
robby521
• •
p.1 #8 · What would you do?

i do this for our local school.they give me full page adds in the yearbook and all programs,which are from 65 to 250 for all the sports.they even came to me and asked if it was ok if i was announced as the main sponsor for some of the home games.the staff have very few taking good pictures.the last 3 years they have used all my pictures.and they even give both of my daughters a yearbook which sells for $75.00.they also give me a pass for any games and to playoffs plush shirts,hats and free food.lol by doing this has helped me a lot because other schools call!

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

andyz
• • •
p.1 #9 · What would you do?

I offer many images to the yearbook, but I'm a hobbyist and it is my access ticket. Case in point, I have never shot track and field but was asked to do so this week. I have to start somewhere. They offered me a full page ad, but I don't do this as a business. If your images are your livelihood I'd offer help, but perhaps "teaching them to fish" is appropriate for the sports remaining until they finalize the yearbook and offer a few images for the sports that have ended and get an ad for your business in there.

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:46 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #10 · What would you do?

Bill, sounds like your work is being appreciated! If it helps, my school will hire Life touch, (they also do the yearbook portrait work), and pay them to be there. I think his rate is around 200 per game. Amazes me that he can show up late, shoot a few images with a kit lens and they were happy with the dark, grainy out of focus images, just to fill a few pages. I would go to the yearbook advisor, hopefully an adult being paid by the school and work a deal. I am sure your images are FAR better than what they used in the past. In my case, the AD is the one pushing, since Athletics are such a large part of the HS experience. I now get all the T and I, and it is morphing into much more. Even asking me to cover alumni events. I don't know how you are set up, but I have found, the large yearbook portrait companies have long term deals and really don't care about the sports action and candid shots, but if you mess with their portraits, you may have Tony Soprano knocking at your door!! good luck, I am sure there is a deal there for you and them!

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:28 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #11 · What would you do?

Thanks for all the replies. Everyone has given me something to think about and many of the pros and some of the cons have been covered. I think this will require a little more communication and preferably with the adviser. I may be able to work out something that would be beneficial to both myself and the yearbook, with or without cash on their end. I appreciate all the help.

Bill

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · What would you do?

Bill....like other have indicated, I also help out the yearbook staff at one of the local high schools. I think this year I provided about 6 or 7 images. They in turn give me a free ad and in turn they send a lot of work my way such as T&I for many of the sports and posters. I agree with what Russ said....it appears this certainly exceeds the limit and someone didn't do their job properly or didn't do it at all if they are asking for that many pics.

I would call the adult in charge (the Advisor) or whatever they are called and request to meet with that person and lay the cards on the table and tell them exactly what's at stake.

You probably need to find out if the paid photographer for the portraits is required to furnish pics of sporting events as well.

In my area...the hired photog is contracted to shoot the head and group shots for the yearbook but is also required to furnish a certain number of shots for each sports team (game shots) and certain school functions. So if they are asking to 100 images...that is pretty substantial. Let the advisor know that you would be willing to donate XXX amount of images.....but the rest would need to be compensated at the rate the hired guy was getting.

Bill....if I may ask...were you covering these sports for a certain media source or as a parent or another source like Maxpreps?

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:20 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #13 · What would you do?

I provide pictures for yearbooks, but you'll learn that each year the requests will only increase and they'll depend more and more on your photos.

A couple of years ago I changed my policy to where only pictures that have already been sold would be provided to the yearbook. This has worked well because I make a note of that on my galleries and website. So parents and kids still have incentive to look and buy, plus a little more incentive to buy if they want to increase the odds of their action shot being included in the yearbook.

The yearbook staff still makes the selections of what gets included, but they don't have free and open access to every shot that I've taken at every event.

And since the pictures were previously paid for, I don't mind them getting used again in the yearbook. The yearbook also comps a full-page ad.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:38 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #14 · What would you do?

Frank, I am shooting on spec for sales to parents and don't work for any media outlet or service at this time. I think I will limit the number of images they get in exchange for an ad and anything over that would have to be compensated.

Clarence, I like the idea of only offering images that have already been sold. Right now that is a fairly limited selection, but definitely something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the replies.

Bill

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #15 · What would you do?

I have happily donated photos to the yearbook, but what strikes me as odd here is the sheer number of shots they are requesting. It seems ridiculously excessive unless they are printing the yearbook version of War and Peace, and it is rare to find any school with that budget. It's also kind of odd that they haven't already submitted fall sports pages, but maybe their printer is more flexible than most.

If you decide to do this, I would suggest you tell them that they need to narrow down the number of shots. They're asking for too many. They can do preliminary layouts from your website; they don't need a huge number of original files.

Also, you need to be clear with them about your copyright, and the fact that the files may be used only in the yearbook, not transferred to anyone else, used on Facebook etc. Do not assume they understand, and be clear that they will be responsible for seeing that the files don't get into anyone else's hands. Ask what kind of security they have on their yearbook files. Yearbook advisors particularly those who are also members of the faculty can be good at seeing this as a teachable moment and explaining that copyright infringement is theft. From my experience that's a discussion that needs to be had with the entire staff before you turn over anything.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #16 · What would you do?

Oh, and after a few years, I started giving lessons in sports shooting to some of the interested students. A couple of them became quite good.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:16 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password