Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Midwest Snow Skating Open

Steve Gotter
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Midwest Snow Skating Open

This event was arranged in Elkhorn, Wisconsin by Phil Smage, a snow skater who has won a few times in his events at the Winter X Games.

Shot with 7D 17-55 2.8 IS
ISO 400, f/8, 1/1250

Critique welcome.

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:04 AM
Steve Gotter
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Midwest Snow Skating Open

Few more

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:07 AM
ElanKawesch

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Midwest Snow Skating Open

There is some nice action in here, and it's great that for most of the pictures you included some context rather than just a tight shot of the athlete.

Is there a reason you shot at f/8? The backgrounds on these are all pretty messy. With a 17-55 focus wouldn't be an issue at f/4 or even f/2.8. For example, #3 would be pretty sweet with that background blown out of focus.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Steve Gotter
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Midwest Snow Skating Open

That is a great point Elan, thanks for mentioning it. To be honest, I was mainly focusing on shooting video for the day, the photos were just for fun here and there when I wasn't shooting video. So the f/8 was from trying to keep a deep DOF for the videos, and when I switched to photos, I didn't even think about it.

You are definitely right, though. It would have looked a lot better with the backgrounds more blurred.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password