Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · PPA Equipment Insurance

PhotoSmithogra

Account locked
p.1 #1 · PPA Equipment Insurance

I've accumulated a good deal of photographic equipment and at any one time while out shooting I could have as much as $20,000 to $25,000 worth of equipment with me. In addition to concerns about theft, I also worry about falling with a 1D Mark IV attached to a 500mm f4L II in my hands (I'm not getting any younger). So, I'm looking for reasonable equipment insurance. Someone recommended joining Professional Photographer's Association. Members get $15,000 in equipment insurance against theft or damaged equipment with deductibles ranging from $250 to $750 depending upon the type of loss and how many claims you have in a 12 month period.

Does anyone have any experience with PPA and their insurance coverage?

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:57 AM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · PPA Equipment Insurance

I have not used PPA insurance for a couple of reasons: 1) Cost of coverage is excessive. It sets a minimum dollar number for insured equipment, and might include other coverage like personal liability that you may not need. 2) You have to be a paid PPA member which essentially delivers nothing unless you are into contests and awards. Other than that, a rider on a homeowner policy will most likely not pay replacement cost. It usually doesn't cover loss or damage to rented equipment either.

Here, in his own words, is a photographer's solution to the best photo equipment coverage:

I purchased a policy through Travelers Insurance, and for only $500/year I receive two-million dollars of liability coverage (per occurance, 4-Million aggregate) and twenty-thousand dollars of equipment coverage at FULL REPLACEMENT value with a $250 deductable!! I compared a LOT of policies...and this one was far and away the best coverage for the money. The best thing about it is, you're NOT required to pay a dime up front...I was issued a binder number as soon as I finished the paperwork. Its has already paid for itself five-times over...my computer died, and I received a check before I even sent in...Show more

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password