Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New to sports photography

dhb820
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · New to sports photography

Sports photography is one area that I have not spent anytime in. I am currently taking a photography class and will eventually need to work on this. I have a friend who works with some local soccer clubs and wondered if I would be interested in using his venues to practice shooting (no fees would be charged for any photos at this point). I would not be infringing on any professional photographers turf as there are none currently at these venues.

The equipment I currently have, and plan to use, is Canon 5D Mark II, Canon zoom 24-105mm and Canon zoom EF 100-400mm. Do you think this equipment will be sufficient enough to get some good quality action shots? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:30 PM
clarence3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · New to sports photography

dhb820 wrote:
Do you think this equipment will be sufficient enough to get some good quality action shots?

The 5D2 is ok for action shots, as long as you've never used a 5D3 or 1D series body. The resolution and ISO performance are good, but the AF acquisition and AI Servo tracking are lacking.

You'll do fine as long as the games are during the daytime.

For best results, use the 100-400 and set your camera to center point focus with AI Servo. Use M, expose for the faces, and keep SS around 1/1000". No need for IS at those shutter speeds.

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:41 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · New to sports photography

To get good quality practice the gear is irrelevant, it's the experience that matters. This isn't the ideal setup but it will be somewhere to start. The 5D II has a bit of a slow shutter and terriblt AF. The AF might be the biggest problem and getting a sharp focus. For soccer I would use the 100-400 and, me personally I would set it to be f/5.6 at all zoom levels for a constant exposure on manual. You want to keep the shutter speed around 1/1000 for soccer. Try and anticipate the play if you can. And don't just get action shots. Crowd shots can be good too. But sports photography is a bit of skill, equipment, luck and practice.

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:46 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · New to sports photography

Den,

What you have is good to get started with and will work fine as long as there is reasonable light. If you find yourself shooting late in the afternoon or on a very heavy overcast day your choice will be to continually bump the ISO in order to keep the SS up. I would also suggest you move the focus control to the back * button.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #5 · New to sports photography

Den, I just PMd you. I am in CT as well I may be of help if needed.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · New to sports photography

To add: Watch you backgrounds, and start low (as in close to the ground)..

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:06 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #7 · New to sports photography

If you have the access don't stay in one position. Move around and get different angles.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:02 PM
brian_f2.8

p.1 #8 · New to sports photography

dhb820 - where are you located and what do you shoot?

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:18 PM
dhb820
• • •
p.1 #9 · New to sports photography

Thank you everyone for your replies and advise. This information will be very helpful for my first practice session.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password