Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       end

Archive 2013 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding ...

Gary Harfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

1. No mater what the client says they want, all should always received good results.

2. No matter how much money they pay, even if its free all deserve good results.

3. No matter the type of contract or what's written in the contract, it does not and will not remove your liability of giving the clients good results.

Just cause you suck, and they are ok with you sucking, once they get the pictures, they can still sue you, they may not win, but hey, good luck with that.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:14 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Ballistics

I went through something similar for a young couple, my wife and I know, although I knew I was happy to shoot the wedding, but was looking for tips to do it well. As an amateur, I stuck to the Canon Hardware forum and received excellent advice. Shot the wedding Saturday, edited the photos Sunday, and am happy with the results and believe the couple will be too. You may glean some good points from that thread (below).
Thanks
Steve

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183795/0#11286875

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

I have seen many getting ready for first weddings threads that did not go in flame. With that title and OP's attitude, it is bound to happen. I dont think Kurtis' or my first response were bad. OP just took it the wrong way and everything went downhill after that.

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:23 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

morby wrote:
\
I just started with FM and I must admit that I'm really put off by this thread. I thought it would be more of a community of people trying to help and support one another.

You made me go back and read the OP. In it, he said he was asked to reconsider his decision to decline and listed the things he felt he needed to consider. He was asking for a check to make sure he didn't miss anything. His list showed some thought.

A little further down, he was greeted with some posts that made erroneous assumptions and read into the post some things that weren't said. He corrected the incorrect assumptions. Some folks bowed up. He bowed up and things went downhill.

I don't regard this thread as typical of the wedding forum. I think everyone could have handled it better.

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:59 PM
morby
• • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

dmacmillan wrote:
You made me go back and read the OP. In it, he said he was asked to reconsider his decision to decline and listed the things he felt he needed to consider. He was asking for a check to make sure he didn't miss anything. His list showed some thought.

A little further down, he was greeted with some posts that made erroneous assumptions and read into the post some things that weren't said. He corrected the incorrect assumptions. Some folks bowed up. He bowed up and things went downhill.

I don't regard this thread as typical of the wedding forum.
...Show more

Everything else I've found in this forum has been extremely helpful. I'm glad to hear this isn't the norm. I can see how it would get annoying seeing this topic come up over and over.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Since we are on page 10 .....

Noobs/newbies/lurkers need to understand that doing a fly-bye or a crash-n-dash without much homework or any intentions to dive into this world of employment (full time / part time) will garner you some back lash.
Shall we say a 'crash' for you aviation nuts out there.

Part of society can not take criticism or critique, particularly when harsh.

Yes, harsh criticism is apart of this forum. Lately it has been a little soft. (Such is the ebb and flow of an on-line forum.)
What most noobs/newbies don't know ....this actually helps you deal with clients who can get irate and disrespectful.
It will help you gain the thick skin in dealing with clients.
Clients that may even sue you because you missed Great Aunt Bettie at the wedding and she passed away.

Don't like it .... move on.

To this point there has been no name calling or out and out slander.
Hence the Mod(s) has not locked down or appear to have visited.
The wedding section is pretty good at moderating itself - for the most part.
When needed ... the Mod will step in.

Like any community, you need to make your way. Be it either ugly or smooth.
Unlike other forums, we tend to call members out on B.S., trolling, and/or a quick-trick-pony (It is not Vegas/Macau).

If you stick around, share your thoughts, actually engage in discussions you will get nuggets of information. Even golden nuggets from time to time.

Happy - Hump Day!
-Mark

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:54 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

VERY nice Mark! Well said indeed.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:00 PM
morby
• • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Ziffl3 wrote:

Noobs/newbies/lurkers need to understand that doing a fly-bye or a crash-n-dash without much homework or any intentions to dive into this world of employment (full time / part time) will garner you some back lash.

Yes, harsh criticism is apart of this forum. Lately it has been a little soft. (Such is the ebb and flow of an on-line forum.)
What most noobs/newbies don't know ....this actually helps you deal with clients who can get
...Show more

Very true and well said! The turning point for my business was when I was called out (in very harsh language) by another photographer. He ripped me a new one and it made me start taking wedding photography seriously. I emailed him recently to thank him for his honesty and how it helped me to be where I am today. Criticism is essential for growth. I guess I was just put off by some of the comments that weren't constructive, but rather purposefully slanderous. This seems like a great forum with so many talented photographers. It's already helped me in so many ways as I evaluate how my business is run.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Ziffl3 wrote:

What most noobs/newbies don't know ....this actually helps you deal with clients who can get
...Show more

The thing is, Mark, is that those who give harsh criticisms, can't receive those criticisms back. Especially when their criticisms are based on nothing but preconceived and erroneous assumptions.

To take it a step further, justifying the reactions in this thread as preparation for clients is a cop out to me.
Irrational and disrespectful people are not unique to photography. And like I said before, professionalism and customer service are not alien to me.

This post is a bit patronizing.

It's almost like you're saying "Oh the people in here are mean to you, because it's for your own good" lol.

It's not about thick skin, it's not about being defensive. It's about me replying to replies. That's all it ever is. Nothing said here ever got me upset. A little concerned about the amount of people that are so hell bent over something so insignificant, but that's about it. All I did was stand my ground.

Yes, I am well aware that there is probably over 500 years of solid experience in this thread alone, and the members
here are great at wedding photography which is why I posted here. But even with that experience and the knowledge, no one should treat another person with inferiority from the gate; Not to mention the condescension was being passed off as "good advice".

Unlike other forums, we tend to call members out on B.S., trolling, and/or a quick-trick-pony

I can't think of a single forum I've been a part of that doesn't do this.

Here's the deal. For everyone that thinks that I have a poor attitude and that I came here just to start a fight and I like the negative attention and you have all of this animosity towards me etc, I'm not going to change your mind. I'm not going to say that I didn't try. But you aren't going to change mine either. So from here on out, all of these words of wisdom posts that address me like I'm an 8 year old, all of these posts summing up my character as a human being, etc - I'm going to refer you to this post. That's it.

I repeat myself because I get that some people don't want to read the entire thread, but I think this will be it for those kinds of posts.

As for those that whole heartedly feel that I shouldn't do this, because you have a genuine concern that I may do something that could hurt me. I thank you for your concern, and I sincerely mean that. However, If I have an ounce doubt after receiving the prominent info about this wedding, that it may be much tougher than originally anticipated, I give you my word that I will bow out graciously.

I'm a pretty good guy, I like discussions and I enjoy debating. It's healthy and everyone involved can learn from it. But I can only say the same thing so many times lol.

Everyone that I've disagreed with, I hold nothing against any of you. Some people get very passionate and aggressive online. It's almost like the internet has become the new highway, and flaming is the new road rage. Some of the nicest people become some of the harshest on the internet, just like they do when they get in a car lol.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

honorerdieu
• • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Ballistics wrote:

The thing is, Mark, is that those who give harsh criticisms, can't receive those criticisms back. Especially when their criticisms are based on nothing but preconceived and erroneous assumptions.

To take it a step further, justifying the reactions in this thread as preparation for clients is a cop out to me.
Irrational and disrespectful people are not unique to photography. And like I said before, professionalism and customer service are not alien to me.

This post is a bit patronizing.

It's almost like you're saying "Oh the people in here are mean to you, because it's for your own good" lol.

It's
...Show more

Now I REALLY like this guy. Good on you, Ballistics.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Here's the deal.... you show up and post telling us you are new .... yet act/converse with no humility ... you want answer like you have put in the years of a seasoned pro.

It is this lingering entitlement with no justification other than hey i posted - now give me my answers.
This rubs me the wrong way.

If it was me ... than i am in the wrong. But there were about half the posters that responded to you with answers you did not want to hear.

For me, I represent myself here like I do in person. Anybody here who has met me can attest to this.
Call it like i see it.
I do not hide my business name. see "www".

Maybe since you are a young buck you lack the social skills in a professional environment. You just have not had that experience. I don't know......

Best of luck.

Later.... Mark

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Sjjindra wrote:
Ballistics

I went through something similar for a young couple, my wife and I know, although I knew I was happy to shoot the wedding, but was looking for tips to do it well. As an amateur, I stuck to the Canon Hardware forum and received excellent advice. Shot the wedding Saturday, edited the photos Sunday, and am happy with the results and believe the couple will be too. You may glean some good points from that thread (below).
Thanks
Steve

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183795/0#11286875

Awesome thread. Thank you

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Ziffl3 wrote:
Best of luck.

Later.... Mark

Thanks for the support Mark

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:15 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Sorry Ziffl3 but I have read the OP for the 3rd time just to make sure I'm not missing something, but no I'm not, it clearly does state in his OP that he's not a professional and that he's a student at best. He points out his own limitations quite clearly and categorically and goes on to state that he understands there's a lot of work ahead of him if he takes on the gig.

I've read through this thread now, tried to understand the flaming, tried to understand the mentality of the negative posts, but I still struggle to get it. Maybe I'm stupid or maybe I'm missing something, I just don't know. But the guy posted what looks like a very innocent, honest and considered post and I just cannot find reason for the flaming. I think its a case of people just feeling like they have to stand their ground rather than just backing down, taking what the OP says in the honest innocent way it was intended and accepting that there was no need for the negative posts. I understand the forum mentality is to stick by your guns at all costs and that no one will ever say 'sorry', but I think 80% of this thread is unnecessary and through no fault of the OP whatsoever.

Just my 2 cents.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

honorerdieu wrote:
Now I REALLY like this guy. Good on you, Ballistics.

And I really like you!

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:27 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

Good luck. Let us know how it went if you went and did it.

Ron

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Being asked to shoot a wedding when you aren't a wedding photographer

My goodness this thread has gotten silly. This industry seriously needs to chill out. Here's my thing...pardon the analogy, is that if someone says to me " what's the best way to hack my arm off?" I'm going to say " don't hack your arm off"! If they answer that with " no, it's all good. I'm not asking you IF I should hack my arm off, just the best way". I'm still going to say " Don't hack your arm off"! Haha! And I really was concerned about the wife/ work and that some brides communicate expectation that wildly change afterwards. But I'm pretty sure you have all that under control. Welcome to wedding photography! Run for your life haha!

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password