Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

tkchen
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

I went the the same spot this morning and saw the same bird and he is playing with mirror. He seems to think there is another bird in there and want to play with him. And he is looking into the mirror over and over again for 2 hours straight. I found it interesting.

Jason.

Play with me

NIKON D7000    300.0 mm f/4.0 lens    600mm    f/13.0    1/640s    560 ISO    -0.7 EV  

What's up there

Got a fly

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

This is a behavior I have noticed in other birds (Cardinals and Bluebirds).
The images look a bit soft on my monitor and I was trying to figure out the reason.
Looking at your gear and at the image exifs looks like you used a 2XTC with your 300mm, (but I could be wrong) and this does produce some softness.
Also the shutter speed for all of these is 1/640sec while the aperture goes from f/13 to f/8. So may be you were shooting in Tv mode. Probably a bigger SS could have helped.
Finally aiming the focus point to the eyes makes the overall image look sharper.
Having said that I still believe you did a nice job, with the last one being my favorite
Socrate

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM
ashley138
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

nice captures! 2 and 4 are my picks. The behavior in 1 is territotial - he thinks it's another male in his territory. I've seen many brightly colored birds do this. I've also heard of robins attacking orange signal lights on cars.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

Mirror is different and I like that, 2 and the last are my picks.

Morris

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:01 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

Beautiful bird. Curious behavior. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb Houghton
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

I love this bird, it's on my bucket list of little guys along with painted buntings. Socrate had some nice input about SS and the various apertures. My pick is #2.

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Phildan
• •
p.1 #7 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

My pick is # 4. Just follow Socrate advise and you will have wonderful pics to post.

Phil.

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:59 PM
tkchen
• •
p.1 #8 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

Shasoc wrote:
This is a behavior I have noticed in other birds (Cardinals and Bluebirds).
The images look a bit soft on my monitor and I was trying to figure out the reason.
Looking at your gear and at the image exifs looks like you used a 2XTC with your 300mm, (but I could be wrong) and this does produce some softness.
Also the shutter speed for all of these is 1/640sec while the aperture goes from f/13 to f/8. So may be you were shooting in Tv mode. Probably a bigger SS could have helped.
Finally aiming the focus point to the eyes makes
...Show more

Socrate,
Thanks for the advise. I was using tripod with tc20. I learn a lesson, even i am using tripod, there is no guarantee of sharp image. I will try to use a bigger SS in the next shoot.

Jason.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Vermilion Flycatcher part 2 - play with me

lovely flycatcher Jason

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password