Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How do I shoot Large Format with SLR ?

satybhat

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do I shoot Large Format with SLR ?

Hi all,
The images here are truly inspirational.
Am moving slowly into the landscape mood. I have the 1Dx and primarily use it for birds and wildlife.
Tried a nice photo-stitch the other day and got hooked into non-extravagant high DR compositing.
This must have been debated before in various threads. Any links to how this can be done without tilt-shift lenses ?
The ARCA swiss SLR2 looks promising. Any pointers to any information about gathering the image and then photo-stitching ? Any pointers on the mount and reviews or the softwares used would be helpful.
Meanwhile, enjoy the link below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/8884829/Why-is-Andreas-Gurskys-Rhine-II-the-most-expensive-photograph.html

Thanks,
Saty

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do I shoot Large Format with SLR ?

Not sure what you're asking----are you talking about using your current 1Dx DSLR? Maybe the Cambo X2 is what you're looking for? I'd try renting it before buying...

https://captureintegration.com/cambo/cambo-x-2-pro/

A technical camera is easier imho, such as from Alpa, Cambo, Arca. I use a Cambo WRS.

Maybe panoramic stitching is what you're after? A stable tripod, leveling base, and a nodal slide rail from RRS are a good start here. CS6 does an excellent job with stitching, as does PTgui and Autopanopro.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do I shoot Large Format with SLR ?

For stitching one important factor I have found is the tripod head. You must align the lens in the corect postion. Too forward or backward will move the axis and give lower quality results. If you get it lined up correct even free programs like microsoft ICE work great.

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:34 PM
satybhat

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do I shoot Large Format with SLR ?

thanks guys. exactly the info I was after. kd: will try and see if anyone local uses the cambo. options are limited in Melbourne, but maybe a high street large shop will have it in stock. lets see. thanks again.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do I shoot Large Format with SLR ?

The best way to get large format... is to shoot large format.

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do I shoot Large Format with SLR ?

Buy A Large Format Camera.

Mar 02, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do I shoot Large Format with SLR ?

Try a 4x5 or larger reflex camera. These have been used for some time for sports and portrait work, even Wildlife work. (see Eliot Porter bird photos in 4x5)

Focal plane shutter, mirror reflex viewing from the top. Takes some getting used to and most of them do not have swing/tilt movements. If you need those movements a good monorail or field camera will give it to you - with a 4x5 or larger rangefinder focusing camera such as a Linhof Technica a good option.

If you want Large Format, you have to shoot a Large Format camera.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.