Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Can't Decide + Revisions

teked
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can't Decide + Revisions

Looking for some help on this one. The monthly assignment theme is 'locks'. Thought I would try this concept. I prefer the b/w. My wife thinks color.

I find the color aspects that surround the subject to be somewhat distracting. In my mind, that seems to disappear with the b/w version.

Any thoughts?

Would appreciate hearing your feedback.

Cheers,
Ed

Adding two different takes. Same concept. Went for more DOF. Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Ed

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    300mm    f/20.0    8s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    300mm    f/20.0    8s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    300mm    f/20.0    15s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    300mm    f/20.0    15s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can't Decide + Revisions

I think this is one where you have to help your viewer out a bit more than you might otherwise think.

It took me a bit to figure out what it was. The color version was the one that I managed to figure it out (I won't say how for the sake of others for now).

I'm thinking that your selective focus could use just a little more dof or a bit wider view to help the viewer a bit more than it's current form. Now that I know what it is, the color still works better for me.

Interesting focal length / aperture choice ... ... do tell.

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:58 PM
mjcpa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can't Decide + Revisions

I'm on your side

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:59 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can't Decide + Revisions

RustyBug wrote:
I think this is one where you have to help your viewer out a bit more than you might otherwise think.

It took me a bit to figure out what it was. The color version was the one that I managed to figure it out (I won't say how for the sake of others for now).

I'm thinking that your selective focus could use just a little more dof or a bit wider view to help the viewer a bit more than it's current form. Now that I know what it is, the color still works better for me.

Interesting focal length /
...Show more

I was intentionally opting for a very short dof. I used my 300 F4 + a 500D close-up to get the result. The 500D provides minimal dof. The aperture setting was to add a tad back. Perhaps the idea doesn't work. Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, my title will be 'Vroom'. That may help clear up the mystery.

Ed

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can't Decide + Revisions

I dont feel strongly about color vs BW except when you title it Vroom. Then the red color and greater attention to the key logo works better. I agree with Kent that more DOF would help, maybe shooting to angle the lock further away from the frame, creating more of a from the side/diagonal POV.
I am curious. What car?
Scott

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can't Decide + Revisions

Show me the photo without the WA back story and ask me what it was I'd say, "Ignition SWITCH for a Porsche." It's the color of the logo (and my familarity with it) which lets me indentify the brand car. That's more difficult in the B&W version.

Ask me, "Is the car locked?" and I'd check the door not the ignition switch.

So for me it misses the mark for the assigment.

Now if you had a bagel with a shmear of cream cheese, piled high with smoked salmon, with some chopped red onion and egg on the side? Now that would be 'lox' I can relate to in a mouth watering way

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can't Decide + Revisions

sbeme wrote:
I dont feel strongly about color vs BW except when you title it Vroom. Then the red color and greater attention to the key logo works better. I agree with Kent that more DOF would help, maybe shooting to angle the lock further away from the frame, creating more of a from the side/diagonal POV.
I am curious. What car?
Scott

Hi, Scott.

Thanks for the feedback.I'll play around with it a bit more today trying to get more dof. It's just a little ol' Boxster.

Ed

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:58 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can't Decide + Revisions

cgardner wrote:
Ask me, "Is the car locked?" and I'd check the door not the ignition switch.

So for me it misses the mark for the assigment.

Thanks for the feedback. I am somewhat confused by your remark above. Is the key not used to unlock the ignition? Will my key work in another ignition switch? By the way, unlocking the door will only let one sit in the car. On the other hand, only unlocking the ignition will provide the intended experience.

Cheers,
Ed

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can't Decide + Revisions

I'd be fine with just a little Boxster!
Must be a fun drive.
Scott

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can't Decide + Revisions

sbeme wrote:
Must be a fun drive.
Scott

+1

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:04 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can't Decide + Revisions

teked wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am somewhat confused by your remark above. Is the key not used to unlock the ignition? Will my key work in another ignition switch? By the way, unlocking the door will only let one sit in the car. On the other hand, only unlocking the ignition will provide the intended experience.

Cheers,
Ed

It is more a matter of word association than literal function. You wanted reaction when you posted the photo? Mine is that the photo didn't say "unlock" to me, it said "start the car".

Enter it... see if it wins

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:27 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can't Decide + Revisions

sbeme wrote:
Must be a fun drive.
Scott

Hey, Scott and Kent.

I won't deny it. Definitely a fun drive. Had it for going on 8 years. Only 43K miles. Hope it lasts until I can't shift gears anymore. Come on down. We'll go for a ride.

Cheers,
Ed

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:46 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can't Decide + Revisions

be careful, Ed. I am known to visit nearby in Wake Forest!

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can't Decide + Revisions

I owe mama a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway ... you could meet us there with the Boxster.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can't Decide + Revisions

sbeme wrote:
be careful, Ed. I am known to visit nearby in Wake Forest!

Only 10 minutes away.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password