Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

Ian Ivey wrote:
I went with the slower 85 f/1.8 instead of the f/1.4. Does that count?

Haha same here. Also have the 35 f2D.

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:01 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

70-200 f4 (when i don't wanna walk w/f2.8)

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:57 PM
sonofjesse2010
• •
p.2 #3 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I think what he was saying was more who uses variable f-stop lenses....the f4 stuff can makes are still L series lenses. And their great.

I dont 'mind the 24-85mm VR lens its pretty sharp stopped Down F8 on landscapes and fix the distortion in software.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

sonofjesse2010 wrote:
I think what he was saying was more who uses variable f-stop lenses.

That's how I understood the question.

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:52 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

Yeah, that's kinda what i was going for....in a situation where i'm shooting with strobes/speedlights, generally i'm at smaller apertures anyway....and like others said, some cheap lenses are pretty sharp when stopped down....

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

NathanHamler wrote:
i'm shooting with strobes/speedlights, generally i'm at smaller apertures

Some months back, someone here made a post about purposely shooting at only the small apertures. Some sample photos were posted and many folks were impressed.

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

D. Diggler wrote:
Some months back, someone here made a post about purposely shooting at only the small apertures. Some sample photos were posted and many folks were impressed.

I did see that...i was actually impressed too...as i recall the photographer was shooting film, and in many situations his shutter speeds were crazy low as a result, but they used that to their advantage, capturing subject motion, etc...or shooting faster speeds and getting silhouettes...i'm not sure i'd want to do it, but it was interesting, for sure...

It's funny, my dad shot weddings...645, 400 speed MAX, vivitar 283 on a bracket with a battery pack..lol you know the type...even to this day, he LIVES at f/8, no matter what lol...i dont get it, but it's how he was taught...

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:20 AM
curryphoto
• •
p.2 #8 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I agree with the comments on "the focusing issues" with slower glass for Weddings. That being said , I also had the 24 - 85 mm F3.5 - 4.5 and found it to be one nice piece of glass... I often regret selling mine.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:25 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

NathanHamler wrote:
I did see that...i was actually impressed too

As I recall, people liked the increased depth of field as compared to what you see with alot of low-light shots you see posted here. At the time, it seemed that post got folks amped up to try shooting indoors more at the small apertures but I don't think we heard too much more about it after that.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:47 AM
DannyBostwick
• •
p.2 #10 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I use a 24-104 f/4. I like to think of it as my, "what the hell is about to happen"-lens. Sometimes someone says, "Hey Danny, come grab a shot of this." And it's a group shot of 25 people, or 2 drunk groomsmen wrestling in the parking lot. Good to be prepared.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #11 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

TTLKurtis wrote:
Haha same here. Also have the 35 f2D.

Ditto. However, we went with these lenses because they were cheaper than the 1.4 equivalents. It does also help that they're smaller and less conspicuous, though.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password