Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I was just wondering, who here doesnt mind using slower aperture lenses when the opportunity presents itself....for instance, i have a nikon 28-85 3.5-4.5...it's a sweet lens.. Very little distortion, very sharp, has a good macro function....i dont mind using it at all for e-sessions, especially in good light, and when i'm shooting wide, or even long, when i dont care about DOF...i know some people wouldnt be caught DEAD without L series glass, or nikon nano coated lenses on their camera....i know david zeiser has been known to use variable aperture "non pro" lenses...just wondering if anyone else here does the same??

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:02 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I still love my 17-40L f4. I always find a use for it at weddings. I thought I'd sell it when I got the 24-70, but it definitely has earned its keep.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:41 PM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #3 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

My main camera (5D II) caries the 24-105mm F4 L IS. And I love it. I keep getting tempted by the 24-70mm f2.8 L but I don't want to give up the extra reach.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

speed kills.....

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:24 PM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #5 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I prefer using my 24-105 f4 when the lighting allows me to. Unfortunately with weddings, this doesn't happen too much.

Feb 21, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #6 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I would rather have a wide aperture lens stopped down, but that's just me! What ever works...

Feb 21, 2013 at 07:14 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

Im 95% a prime shooter, so this doesnt apply to me so much. But if I did use zooms, it has to be a constant aperture because I like to shoot wide open a lot. But for the times I shoot with flash or some lighting setup, I am mostly shooting f8 and above. So really any lens will do.

Feb 21, 2013 at 07:32 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

If my camera did high ISO really well then I could perhaps use something slower. But I'd always want the flexibility of a faster lens. My most used lenses are 85/1.4 & 35/1.4 and I need them for lowlight, so can't really go for a slow zoom.

Feb 21, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

Well... my wife does use a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. It focuses slow too.

Feb 21, 2013 at 09:12 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

NathanHamler wrote:
known to use variable aperture "non pro" lenses...just wondering if anyone else here does the same

I occasionally will use an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 zoom. I use it with a crop cam at 18mm. Clients can't tell the difference whether it was L glass or not.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

Surely with the low light capabilities of current cameras f4 can now shoot in low light situations that 2.8 once struggled in

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I went with the slower 85 f/1.8 instead of the f/1.4. Does that count?

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:16 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

Ian Ivey wrote:
I went with the slower 85 f/1.8 instead of the f/1.4. Does that count?

Where is the "like" button lol

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:07 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

I'm not afraid to shoot at f4. The nikon 24-120 is my idea of a perfect wedding lens #nohipstercred

- trr

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:10 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

TRReichman wrote:
#nohipstercred

btw i loved the way you put it in the podcast with Reggie, where you mentioned "disaffected hipster posing"....lol i was like "YES! i hate that crap!" lol....i wanted to post it on FB, but i know too many hipster wedding photogs...

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:14 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

There's something above f/2.8?

I'm just kidding. I know 3.2's for formals.

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:16 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #17 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

Marcus Watts wrote:
Surely with the low light capabilities of current cameras f4 can now shoot in low light situations that 2.8 once struggled in

True, but DOF control still requires speed.

Two of the lenses used in our first wedding were kit lenses. All we've got left are primes, though, between 1.8 and 2.

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:26 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

tobicus wrote:
True, but DOF control still requires speed.

Unless you shot dx for years at 2.8, and got used to the dof, then switched to fx...now f/4 has the same dof than 2.8 did on dx (when you take into account new fov and focal lengths)...

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

For weddings, I'm much more concerned with a lens' focus speed and accuracy.

There are quite a few reasons why I can't go back to using anything outside of the top tier pro quality lenses, but the mediocre to poor focus abilities on almost all of the consumer grade lenses are the difference between high 5-ing yourself and cursing out Lightroom.

If I had to, I could make f/5.6 work. It's not ideal for any means in some churches, but it works when you can just crank the ISO to 12,600 and fix whatever bits of noise appear in post later (the beauty of shooting with a pro body). I don't know of any lower quality lenses off the top of my head that force anything wider than f/5.6 on you...

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:20 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Who uses SLOW lenses??

TRReichman wrote:
I'm not afraid to shoot at f4. The nikon 24-120 is my idea of a perfect wedding lens #nohipstercred

- trr

My wife uses this lens as our family lens at home. I never thought of using it at weddings because I am used to shooting with primes. Also, I like to get the lowest ISO possible while getting a decent shutter and f1.4 and 1.8 lenses allow me to shoot receptions at ISO 800-1600.

But it might be fun to use this lens next wedding just because.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password