Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best Photo-journalism School?

alskouba
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Photo-journalism School?

I am presently studying Photography in Marsan College in Montreal and will be finishing school in Mai of this year. I shoot mostly events, sports and music shows and I love to shoot people that have a story to share.
The school that I am going to right know is more about fashion and studio work wich is not my style at all...
I am not shure if it is the right place to ask...The pro's must know something!
I am looking for the Best photo-journalism school nothing less. It could be anywhere in the world!

Here is a couple of my image to make the thread more interesting

Thanks
Alexis

Edited on Feb 20, 2013 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:55 PM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Photo-journalism School?

here is some moore

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:12 PM
rextilleon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Photo-journalism School?

Dude,

Based on what you posted, you don't need to go to school for photo-journalism. It would be a huge waste of money, because you already have the talent. The sad thing is, many people are graduating top notch journalism schools and the additional credential is really not doing them much good.

I recommend that you strike out on your own and try to sell your work to any publication. Get yourself a police scanner for your mobile device and jump on any exciting stuff that is happening.

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:20 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Photo-journalism School?

"Photojournalism" in terms of just being a pure picture-taker is not a viable career anymore. Going forward, you need to be an all-around journalist able to do it all: Identifying and conceiving the story, shooting it (both in still and in video, including sound), writing it, and many times even producing it, being able to present a finished package.

My daughter is in journalism right now, and she has had to learn to do it all--including radio. She may or may not wind up in a job actually doing it all, but it's pretty rare for a one-trick-pony to walk into a job these days of staff cutting.

That is why you need to go to a journalism school, even if you're already an accomplished photographer.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Photo-journalism School?

In addition to what RD says, and he's completely right on here, a good school not only provides instruction in all those aspects, but also the most important aspect - the connections with people and places that are most likely to hire. A good school will have working professionals as a large part of the faculty, who have active contacts in the industry and are more than willing to recommend top students when that time comes. And as good as the images posted are, what we (or a prospective employer) doesn't know at this point, is how often you can go out in the field and deliver on moment's notice under less than ideal conditions.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:42 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Photo-journalism School?

A good school will have working professionals as a large part of the faculty, who have active contacts in the industry and are more than willing to recommend top students when that time comes.

That's also true. My daughter has made those connections, in addition to being tutored and mentored by people with such connections.

Interestingly, right now she has a part-time job working at a local news radio station (gained for her by school connections). Her particular "beat" are city council activities for two municipalities...and she has to take stills and video for the radio station. Even radio stations have to put imagery on their websites.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:34 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Photo-journalism School?

There's no such thing as "the best." And there are no rules about breaking into the industry. There aren't many openings. Luck plays a part. Being able to shoot-- and nail the job-- and being able to wriggle oneself into the field are required skills.

You can be a rogue freelancer, taking risky assignments. Or you can work your way up at local, regional, and international publications.

You can get a fine art degree in studio and documentary work, take that knowledge, and then work your ass off. OR you can get a journalism degree (photo or otherwise), work your ass off. Or you can just luck into the job.

Figure out what YOU think is your best avenue. What skills/things you need: connections, the ability to shoot documentary work, knowledge about the business. And then work yourself down to the bone acquiring these things at reasonable costs (subjective, personal measure), and then using them to your advantage.

I got a master's degree in journalism (non-photo) from what is usually ranked the top J school in the country. It was a fantastic program re honing my craft. I was challenged by intellectuals in multiple fields. The connections were... eh... on the nothing-to-moderate scale. I'm pretty successful, both writing and shooting for top publications. But most of my breaks were a combination of grit, persistence, luck, and being able to deliver given even the tiniest break from an editor. Having a degree from a named school has allowed me to teach undergrad classes once or twice a year, and opens another set of doors should I decide to slow down my freelancing at some point and do more teaching as I get older-- taking on fewer, but more personally interesting, assignments.

My advice is always this: Collect as many different tales of people who have succeeded in the field you want to succeed in. Learn how they did it. Then using what you find out, chart a potential route (that can be changed and updated as you go) that you think may work for you.

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:19 AM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Photo-journalism School?

@justruss
Thank you for your awnser. This is what I needed to know. I decided that once I finish my current degree,I will take a year off from school and try to get a ''stage'' in a local newspaper. I am a really autodidact person and I feel that this is the right way for me. I will start doing more personal documentary work to develop my skills.

@RDKirk and Peter Figen.
I am aware that things have change and that you need more versatility. But What I am passionate about is photography. I tough about a class in journalism but I write like and idiot...So I dont think I will be successful in that area. My way to communicate information Is definitely photography.

Thank you all for your comments.

Alexis

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Wes Bailey
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Photo-journalism School?

I agree with most of the above. But if you're looking for a recommendation for a photojournalism degree, I recommend the University of Missouri photojournalism program:
http://photojournalism.missouri.edu/

Wes Bailey

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:05 PM
GoGo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Photo-journalism School?

Intern at a newspaper, any daily newspaper will be the best PJ learning experience you can get. Go straight to the photo editor at the publication.

I spent 3 years at a daily, best learning experience of my life! The writers, the editors, the shooters, you learn from all of them.

Good luck.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:35 AM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Photo-journalism School?

GoGo wrote:
Intern at a newspaper, any daily newspaper will be the best PJ learning experience you can get. Go straight to the photo editor at the publication.

I spent 3 years at a daily, best learning experience of my life! The writers, the editors, the shooters, you learn from all of them.

Good luck.

I was thinking about it but what should I bring to him. A CV or a printed Protfolio or a motivation letter? What to ask also?
Thanks
Alexis

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:40 AM
GoGo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Photo-journalism School?

Alexis,

It took me 3 months of badgering my Photo editor for me to get my foot in the door.

He finally gave me a job after showing him my work, leaving a CV on his desk, and basically showing up once a week to remind him that I was ready willing and able.

I made sure to shoot some new (self assigned) work every week to show him as well.

It was the best time of my life, I met a lot of people, I shot a lot of film, a lot of different formats and used a lot of lighting gear. Overall a good way to learn what it means to be a pro, and a good way to learn how to visualize a picture under pressure.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Tony B
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Photo-journalism School?

These days on many an occasion who you know is almost as important as knowledge itself.
Many employers are looking for more than a degree.
Networking is paramount.
Become involved with professional organisations.
Work for the best you can-for free if necessary
Never think you know everything. You will almost always find someone who knows more.
Never speak down to or openly criticize your peers. You may even end up applying to work for them.
No doubt there are others points that could be added that are needed to supplement a degree.

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.