Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I would really like to upgrade from my 20D and 1DMk II, but as usual money isn't in plentiful supply.
I would like the camera to be able to do landscapes, as well as Birds in Flight. I have seriously looked at the Mark III, and it looks to be quite an upgrade from my Mark II.The 7D looks like a great camera too, but I keep hearing about noise issues.
I am just looking at slightly larger files, as I don't need huge 20Mp files, just don't have the need.
I was going to wait for the 7D2, but from what I've heard its probably going to be an over 20Mp model anyways, and thats just too much money and more camera than I really need.
Do you think the 1D Mark III will serve all my needs, or is the 7D also worth considering, even with the noise issue ? There both about the same price.
The Mark II files really impressed me with there lack of noise.
I was also going to consider the 60D, but it doesn't seem to have the fast autofocus that the other two have.
Let me know your opinions please.

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:01 PM
galenapass
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I have/had both. A 7D will likely work the best. The 1DIII is not a landscape camera. Certainly could be used for one, but I wouldn't.

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:13 PM
studioone

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I would say for what you are doing I would go with the 7D or the 5D mark 2. The 5D mark 3 looks amazing but it is not worth the price difference unless you are really making big money with it. There are some amazing deals on the 5d mark 2 that come up every now and then if you watch for them.

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:46 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

studioone wrote:
I would say for what you are doing I would go with the 7D or the 5D mark 2. The 5D mark 3 looks amazing but it is not worth the price difference unless you are really making big money with it. There are some amazing deals on the 5d mark 2 that come up every now and then if you watch for them.

This is poor advice IMO. I also have a 5DII and it does not do well for BIF. The 7D has better AF and tracking.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I think it depends on how close you can get to your subject, specifically BIF or other stationary birds. I had 7D and 1D3 at the same time, as long as I could get close enough so that I didn't have to crop too heavy, I always chose the 1D3. If I knew I was going to have to crop heavy, then the higher pixel density of the 7D, as well as the 1.6 crop factor, frequently made a significant difference. However, the noise of the 7D was something I just never learned to live with, or process around, so I recently did some body consolidations. Sold 7D and 5D2 for a 5D3, and kept my 1D4. The 5D3/1D4 combo will shoot just about anything I can think of.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I will completely concur with Jo having also owned for a few years together (my 1DX is on its way). The 1D III's IQ was definitely better, but the lower resolution was problematic relative to the 7D as well. Now I will probably only use the 7D when I absolutely need the extra reach. The 1DX will also probably cost me more money as I'll need more reach from my lenses

= Ed =

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:51 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

10mp from a 1d3 will be quite limited for BIF work.

7D is a great choice for that. I wouldn't worry much about noise unless you are taking photos of bats in caves.
In a pinch you can video epic bird flights using the 7d's hdslr.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:03 PM
anthhope

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

Hi,
I've had the mkii and mkiii and I'd recommend keeping the mkii for BIF and buy a 5d MKII for landscapes. Live view is perfect for landscapes.

Good luck

Cheers

Anthony

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:14 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I have had both and would choose the mkIII. Compare the specs, other than video the mkIII will give you every thing you need IMO.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I have read through, I'm sure, dozens of 7D vs. 1D Mark III threads in the last couple of years. In every one of them, the split between those whose favor one camera over the other seems to be fairly even. I think that the reason is that they are both excellent cameras with good capabilities, but each of them has capabilities that are better suited to specific shooting than are the capabilities of the other.

I owned both the 7D and the 1D Mark III, and my ownership of those bodies was simultaneous for about 6 months. My assessment is that the 1D Mark III produces beautiful files. It has a very capable AF system, and it is hard to beat the feel of the build quality of a 1-series body. The 7D, with its high pixel density, is a camera that can't be beaten by any camera when shooting is likely to be done in focal length-limited situations. It also has a very capable AF system. In real world shooting of moving wildlife, flying birds, etc., my in-focus rates with the two bodies were so close that I'm not sure which one gave me more success, and I can't recall a single instance where my failure to get a shot was the result of the AF system of either camera failing me.

With regard to noise, there is no question that the 7D files are noisier than those of the 1D Mark III at the pixel level, but the 7D has almost twice as many pixels as does the 1D Mark III, and, at the whole image level, noise is actually very similar. Further, even at the pixel level, if you downscale 7D files to the 10 MP of the 1D Mark III or if you upscale the 1D Mark III files to the 18 MP of the 7D, noise is quite similar. Thus, in focal length-limited situations where cropping is a necessity and where the 1D Mark III files are going to have to be upscaled, any noise advantage that the 1D Mark III may start out with at the pixel level is going to disappear.

For me, the bottom line is that, if was going to be shooting in focal length-limited situations or if I wanted enough pixels to be able to make larger prints, the 7D would be my pick. If I was only very rarely shooting in focal length-limited situations, if I only rarely needed to crop severely, and if I was interested only in making prints at moderate sizes, I'd probably pick the 1D Mark III. Further, while each of these cameras his its advantages, neither is the winner in all situations over the other.

Les

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

The OP wants to shoot BIF AND landscapes. In general landscape photographers gravitate towards cameras with more pixels (e.g. the D800). Besides what Les has noted above regarding BIF, the noise from a 7D sensor will be minimal at lower ISOs used for landscape shooting. A 7D + a Tokina 12-24mm would be good, reasonably priced kit (IMO) for landscapes.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

If you want to have one only camera, I'd get the 1DIII. If you're OK keeping the 1DII, then I'd get a 5DII for landscapes.

The 1DIII has way better batteries than the 1DII. They have more or less equivalent AF performance. The 1DIII user interface is better, and much more representative of 'modern' EOS cameras. The 1DIII has better ISO performance, 1600 is pretty good, and the extra pixels are welcome. I think the 1DIII has better "per-pixel" IQ than the 1DII. I know that the 1DIII has better "per-pixel" IQ than the 7D. IMO, the 10 MPx 1DIII is better for BIF than the 18 MPx 7D.

I've owned 1DII, 1DIII, 1DsIII, 20,30,40D, 5D, and 7D. I currently use 1DX, 1DIV, and 5DII. FWIW.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:44 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I was in the same dilemma about a week ago. I went with the 7d because of the reasons Les states. Plus I really like having the high resolution LCD and video features the 7d offers. 400mm is my longest lens so I really value the high pixel density of the 7d. I shoot birds and landscapes also. The 18mp crop sensor found in the 7d/60d/t2i is marvelous for my purposes (and some of yours).

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:05 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I have both, and have shot them side by side for two years. Each has their niche. If I could only have one, it would be the 1d3 hands down. The 1d3 files to me look better, are easier to work with etc... The 7d's pixel density is greater and I think that has some reason the files on the 1d3 look better. Plus, once youdrink the 1D coolaid you'll never go back.

The only time I use my 7d anymore is when I may need a tad more reach with my 100-400 when shooting baseball... or when, on those rare, very rare times, I want to "shoot lite" and leave the 1d & 400 2.8 at home...

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I'm definately leaning towards the MarkIII.Yes its a bit heavier, but If going by the 1DMarkII files is any indication, there really amazing.
Now I just need to find a used MarkIII that has been lightly used, preferably by the original owner, since I intend to keep it for some time.
I was also considering the new 7D2 or 70D, but the concensus seems to be it will be over 20Mp, which I really don't need.
Thanks to all for the information.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

Let's see you do this with a 1D3.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1191937

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

1D has superb ergonomics (and is superb in general) but you'll have to look for one which has gone through all updates (IIRC there were 2 for the AF system and 1 for the bumper). 7D is a great camera and gives you access to 3 superb EF-S lenses (10-22, 17-55, 60).

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:27 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

I never liked the way the 7D rendered photos. I LOVE the way the 1DIII renders, the incredibly high FPS, the sureness of the shutter button, the ergonomics, and the rapidity with which it does EVERYTHING - it is professional in ways that I never understood a camera could be and I love it. It has turned into an addiction that may unfortunately end with me buying a 1Dx.

If you are serious about getting extra range out of your lenses, a 7D will definitely put more pixels on your subject but know that the 1D3 is a magnificent camera.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:56 AM
aladyforty
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

can someone tell me how much I can crop a 1DIII photo and still get a good A3 print?

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D or 1D Mark III ?

aladyforty wrote:
can someone tell me how much I can crop a 1DIII photo and still get a good A3 print?

Well you can work that out for yourself quite easily. A3 is ~ 12" x 17". If you are willing to use 200dpi you will need to have an image that is 2400 X 3400 or ~8MP, so that's only a 20% crop from 10MP 1D III. I printed A3+ which is ~13" x 19" from my 8MP 1D II and it looked fine, so it must have been around 150dpi or so. If you can live with 150dpi you can get away with 1800 x 2550, which is around 4.6MP or over 50% crop.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password