Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

Sodonn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

Got asked to do head shots for a family owned business / Entertainment Management Co.
I was happy with the way they turned out, client was really happy, but curious to hear what others here at FM think.

Lighting set up was 3 speedlights ( all on manual, 2 shooting in 42" softbox umbrellas and one key with a beer coozie snoot )

1) http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/Portraits/IAN-Head-Shots/i-xwmxCwL/0/L/_MG_8664_HR_Edit-L.jpg

2) http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/Portraits/IAN-Head-Shots/i-VjwRrDm/0/L/_MG_8518-L.jpg

3) http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/Portraits/IAN-Head-Shots/i-3P66mcb/0/L/_MG_8525-L.jpg

4) http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/Portraits/IAN-Head-Shots/i-7vxW2pm/0/L/_MG_8573-L.jpg

5) http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/Portraits/IAN-Head-Shots/i-2JT9N7K/0/L/_MG_8578-L.jpg

6) http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/Portraits/IAN-Head-Shots/i-mknqc5v/0/L/_MG_8601-L.jpg

7) http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/Portraits/IAN-Head-Shots/i-b6frc2S/0/L/_MG_8612-L.jpg

8) http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/Portraits/IAN-Head-Shots/i-Mf4q27k/0/L/_MG_8632-L.jpg

Feb 19, 2013 at 09:15 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

Since it is a family business, it is a bit friendlier, but generally corporate head shots are serious and basic. Little room for creativity, if any. But you did a good job, there is a great mood to the photos, friendlier.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

I would get rid of the first one.
Number 3 is the best for me out of the individual ones and the last works as well.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

A nice set of pics.

Some minor comments -

#1. Some won't like the bold socks in this, but you only have to please the customer, so let that be your guide.

#2 I think I would have left less space above his head and 'aimed' the camera a bit more to the right, showing more of his left shoulder.

#3 Again, I'd leave less space above her head. I would NOT show more of the shoulder in this case.

#5. The only tiny thing I would change is the slice of arm at the bottom. You needed to crop that low to show the knot of the tie, but not having the arm there would be an improvement.

#6 The bright white tie is getting a lot of attention. I'm not sure if toning it down bit would help.

#7 I like the frivolity of this one, but we should see the two parts of the tie connected.

#8 Nice. There seems to be room to crop inward to give them more impact.

Again, these are tiny nits/discussion points, not faults.

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:01 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

I do not like #1 for a corporate picture..that being said, I like #1. For 2, 3, 4, and 6, I would get the right shoulder in the frame. I like the lighting very well done pictures.

HTH
Greg

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:43 AM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

Thanks everyone for the critique....very helpful points made. As for #1....I should have mentioned that it was done as a fun shot to feature his socks at the clients request (as he has a thing for matching socks) after we got all the normal typical head shots. #7 was also a "just for fun" shot after the typical head shots were done since he is the youngest of the company.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:26 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

1: The floor and background need to be fixed. Smooth them out. Don't care for the dark eyes and center with bright sides of the head. Interesting concept.
2: I would crop much tighter. Way too much head room. I would do less body angle for this kind of photo. Turn down the hair light a little to avoid the glow on the ear.
3:Again to much angle and never shoot with that much arm skin showing for a headshot. Makes the arms look heavy and takes away from the face.Lots of hair to clean up.
4: Sorry I just don't get the side angle.Does not look professional or modern, just off.

If you wanted a modern look for the family business I would have gone with the style of #7. The flying tie could have made a funny theme for the guys but without it the look is strong. I would move the shot down a couple inches and crop into the hairline. This bring the eyes up and provides a lot mor impact. The top of the head does nothing for impact. Bring focus to the eyes.
8: See how having her arms covered focus the attention to the faces. Nice look for black on black style. Just removing the space helps bring her up into the frame even without lowering the crop.I would move the frame down to bring more of her into it and less wasted space over the heads. Of course the guys hands might be a issue if cut so removing wasted head space might be the best option.

Just my opinion. Bottom line is always what the client wants and pays for.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

Do a Google search on Peter Hurley and check out his headshots. His basic principle is to get the eyes above the center-line, and crop through the top of the head. Most of his clients are actors, so his style may or may not be suitable for corporate shots.

#4 would look better if both shoulders were showing. It makes men look wider across the shoulders, and very few men want to look wimpy.

#8 would have benefitted by having a little fill light coming from camera left, and also a hair light. As it is, the lighting is uneven (darker on left and brighter on right), and the dark suits & dark hair blend into the background.

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

FWIW here's what I think.

The solid black BG and the lighting style gives it a dated feel, and will make reproduction more difficult than if they were on a light BG. The subjects may have benefited from a larger softer light source and with either less fill or from a slightly different angle. They look overlit to me. especially with the black background.

I like the first shot the best, Iit shows his personality ans some creativity from you.
The posing of last shot with the kids and the mom is awkward. Mom looks 3 feet tall...

Don't get too hung up on the "corporate" moniker. They aren't GE so you don't need to shoot them like they are.

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:48 PM
hokoman

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

Fix the knot in the white tie and make sure it is centered/straight. The red and black shirt give it a Regis/90s feel to it and the bottom button on a suit should never be buttoned... Unless it is a one button jacket.

Feb 23, 2013 at 02:02 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First time doing corporate type head shots.

hokoman wrote:
Fix the knot in the white tie and make sure it is centered/straight. The red and black shirt give it a Regis/90s feel to it and the bottom button on a suit should never be buttoned... Unless it is a one button jacket.

Black white and red are the colors of their company logo....despite the Regis/90's feel, I cant do anything about their colors.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:20 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.