Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom: print or export for online printing of specific aspect ratios

jchin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom: print or export for online printing of specific aspect ratios

Which is better?

Use the Develop module to crop an image to a specific ratio and then export it to a JPEG

or

use the Print Module and print them to a JPG with a specific page size (aspect ratio)?

To me, the Print Module seems easier because I don't have to make temporary virtual copies, however I am wondering if this has any downside.

The goal is to upload the images to an online print service to get prints made.

TIA

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:37 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom: print or export for online printing of specific aspect ratios

you dont need to make temporary virtual copies.
In the Develop module create your crop and export as jpeg. Remember, LR is non-destructive. The original image is unchanged and you can go back to the Develop module, change the crop, re-export, etc . If you prefer the idea of virtual copies existing at multiple different aspect ratios you can do that, but it is unnecessary.
Is there a downside in using the Print Module? I havent used it for crops, but I think you might have less ability to move the crop, rotate the image, etc.

Scott

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:43 PM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom: print or export for online printing of specific aspect ratios

Scott, I feel that it takes too long to do the export of images one at a time, that is why I make the virtual copies and then export all of the same aspect ratios at the same time (usually tagging them with a color label so I can quickly filter them from the "regular 4x6" prints). Also, I would like to preserve the original size images in my catalog. However, I do appreciate your insight. Thank you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:17 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom: print or export for online printing of specific aspect ratios

The only reason I could see for doing this in the Print Module would be to add final output sharpening and up the resolution to 300, 360, or 400 ppi for a specific printer.

Brian A

Feb 19, 2013 at 09:56 PM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom: print or export for online printing of specific aspect ratios

I just found out that when you use the Print Module to create the JPG, the only thing in the EXIF data is the copyright. So that bit of info might be useful for some.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.