Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

boid

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

Will a 80mm Summilux R (non ROM) lens mount a Nikon D800E without any issues? Especially with a Leitax converter. How about the Elmarit 28mm?

Any info on this would be much appreciated. What are Leica lenses like in use on Nikon cameras? I understand that one has to resort to stop down metering for it to work. Is it a complete bother? I saw some results on a D800E and was blown away by the IQ from these R lenses. What's the experience of using these lenses on an SLR camera? Would I need to change the prism? I wear glasses.

I've already checked that the lenses won't foul with the mirror here (http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html) but am more interested in the hearing about the actual day to day experience of shooting with this system.

Any help/comments would be much appreciated.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:48 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

don't have your answer but ya may want to post over on LuLu as they are more into those subjects,,

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0

Derry

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:31 PM
bmwrider75
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

I used a Summicron 50/2 with no issues, Leitax mount, on a D600 and 800. David Llado at Leitax should be able to confirm which lens will work (with his mounts of course).

His mounts are great - highly recommended.

To answer your other questions - yes, stop-down metering, and no, I didn't feel the need to change the focussing screen (not sure you can anyway). The AF confirmation dot with his adapters is very accurate when the conditions are more difficult.

The IQ from my Summicron-R was the best of any lens I've ever used on the Nikon system.

dc

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:42 PM
jbonzo1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

The sharpest lens I have ever used was my Summicron R 35mm F2...Still kicking myself for selling it.
The R lenses on a D800 should be awesome.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

boid

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

derry1 wrote:
don't have your answer but ya may want to post over on LuLu as they are more into those subjects,,

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0

Derry

Thanks I'll do that.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:49 PM
boid

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

bmwrider75 wrote:
I used a Summicron 50/2 with no issues, Leitax mount, on a D600 and 800. David Llado at Leitax should be able to confirm which lens will work (with his mounts of course).

His mounts are great - highly recommended.

To answer your other questions - yes, stop-down metering, and no, I didn't feel the need to change the focussing screen (not sure you can anyway). The AF confirmation dot with his adapters is very accurate when the conditions are more difficult.

The IQ from my Summicron-R was the best of any lens I've ever used on the Nikon system.
...Show more

Oh, didn't realize focus confirmation worked. I wish there was some way I could test the lenses before buying them, but that's not an option. Thanks for your feedback. I think I'll go for them.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

Have you checked out this thread?

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM
boid

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using Leica R glass on the D800E

Lee Saxon wrote:
Have you checked out this thread?