Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Church League VBall, 1st time since advice

eric chang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Church League VBall, 1st time since advice

Hey Guys,

thanks for the newbie advice last week! I got a chance to shoot my wife's team again, and am much happier with the results!

Fortunately, the court was the best lit of all the one's I've seen to, and was able to stay around 1/1000 ss at ISO 1600 / F2

Please rip these apart and tell me where I can do better!

All shot with D700 / 85 F1.4
ISO1600, F2 or so

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:22 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Church League VBall, 1st time since advice

eric chang wrote:
Please rip these apart and tell me where I can do better!

Exposure and WB look good. Timing is good... ball and eyes. I'm not a fan of non-standard, inconsistent aspect ratios, especially when they still result in loose crops (e.g., in #4, crop under the gray sound panels and to the right of the scorer, or even eliminate the scorer since he's not really adding to the scene and just crop after the antenna).

Check the horizon in #2... use the door jambs as vertical plumb reference.

And try to avoid amputating feet... as a general rule, if the frame is cut off below the knee, then go ahead and crop up to the waist.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:35 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Church League VBall, 1st time since advice

The first one is the only one that I like. The others look more haphazard in terms of comps/crops. If you accidentally chop a limb, you have to be more deliberate in how you choose to crop it. Since the limbs are chopped in the last three, I'd crop them much tighter and focus on the face.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:58 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Church League VBall, 1st time since advice

+1 to Paul's thoughts on crops. It's something I always have to work on too... but shooting long prime lenses tends to lead itself to cropped limbs. My rule of thumb is that you should never crop directly near extremities like feet and hands. Instead aim for torso crops and they still work IF you have an interesting image focused on expressions or intensity. In a couple of these you've just chopped off feet and to me those don't work. You might be able to save one or two though by going much tighter and crop just below the shorts instead. But to me, some of the BG's are killer and that's always going to be a tough challenge. First one is a solid capture.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:10 PM
eric chang
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Church League VBall, 1st time since advice

sweet, all great pointers and good to know where to try improving at.

Thanks guys!

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:38 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password