Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photo Ops in and Around South Lake Tahoe

CorwinGraves
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Ops in and Around South Lake Tahoe

Hello -

I'll be headed to South Lake Tahoe with the family this coming weekend and I'm looking for recommendations on places to shoot. I've been to South Lake many times, but haven't gone with an intent to shoot photos. Anyhow, looking for suggestions. I don't even mind hiking a bit if necessary. A shot right along the lake with some interesting foreground elements would be nice, as would getting up high to capture the lake from a different vantage point.

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:48 AM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Ops in and Around South Lake Tahoe

The two prime spots I know of are Eagle Falls (Emerald Bay area) and Sand Harbor State Park. Eagle Falls gets you up high (shooting over the falls towards the lake) and Sand Harbor has some really cool granite rock formations along the lake shore.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:11 AM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Ops in and Around South Lake Tahoe

Bryan - thanks for the tips. I searched here and found some images taken at Sand Harbor, so I will definitely be checking that out. I'll also search Eagle Falls, though not sure what access will be like if the weather is poor or if there is lots of snow. Right now it's pretty barren up there, but there is snow in the forecast this week.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Ops in and Around South Lake Tahoe

Are you much of a skiier?

My dad lives down in Gardnerville, NV which is about 20 minutes from there. There's a ski hill call Heavenly Valley, which provides some AMAZING photo op's in many directions, not just the lake. The ski hill actually straddles the NV/CA border. Maybe you could take the lifts up and just do some photos? I don't know.

This is my brother and I with Lake Tahoe in the background -

And looking down towards the valley floor in Nevada -

My dad's back yard in Gardnerville (South Lake Tahoe is up to the left) -

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Ops in and Around South Lake Tahoe

Will - I'm not a skier, but I'm familiar with Heavenly and their Gondola, which can be traveled even by non-skiers. I'll have to check out when it runs to find out if it's operational for sunrise/sunset.

I appreciate the tip.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Ops in and Around South Lake Tahoe

Try going down to the bottom of the mountain range there, like that last photo I posted, there are a couple of old farms, some nice fields, and some old pine forrests that make for some good photo op's too.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:37 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Ops in and Around South Lake Tahoe

Old farms sound great - thanks!

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password