Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Yeah, I did find it slightly annoying but it nots that much of a hassle. You have to press the 'AF' button at the same time as using the 4 way toggle switch which is just pointless. You shouldn't need to press theAF button as well, just not required, but its not that fiddly.

Do you guys think that the resale market for the X-E1 with the 35mm f1.4 will be strong. I think I will go for this combo and give it 3 months to see how I get on. That way the X100s will be out and hopefully the price would have been established. Worst case I could always sell on the X-E1 and get the X100s if I decide the the X-E1 is not working out for me.

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 08:10 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Oh, I'm not switching systems at all...just adding to for a little test run.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:09 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Yeah, yeah, that is the start of every switch

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:15 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Fuji doesn't have nearly the lens lineup to make it even close to worth my while to completely switch. However, if things progress well there, then in a few years, who knows.

Right now, I am not even sure how long I'll keep the X-E1....I'm going to give it a run for times I need really high ISO performance or shallower DOF than I can easily get from m4/3, though those aren't really key areas for me, so it may end up sitting on a shelf for most of the time.

Part of the impetus (besides the above) is to have a body to do further lens reviews and such from....now I can review all the Fuji gear too, without having to rent bodies all the time.

I do think I may grab the X-E1 in situations where I'd only want to grab one lens, especially if I'm shooting in dark situations where I need the shutter speed vs IBIS. The Leica 25/1.4 is the sharper lens in my early testing, so I'm not gaining anything there, though the rendering of the 35/1.4 and the bokeh is quite beautiful, so we'll see.

I think this makes more sense than the X100s for me. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it and move on. EVF is nice, though...

It is a sharp looking camera, though:

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:30 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #5 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Hence they callit the sexy one.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:50 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Yes, the XE-1 is a really neat camera. I could imagine myself switching when the XE-2 comes out one day. Maybe by then I will be ready to ditch my full-frame stuff Yeah right.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Picking up my X-E1 tomorrow... Woop woop

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:58 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Dpreview have posted their review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-e1

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Well, after a week+ of shooting with my X-E1...I am both in love and frustrated, but more in love. The image quality is stellar, and the camera is a joy to shoot with the dedicated dials and the outstanding EVF. Only thing holding it back is weaker autofocus, especially in low light for portraits (seems fine on more contrasty stuff, but will fail from time to time when shooting for the eyes in low light).

Still, I've already added the 18-55, which is really a great zoom. I'm going to hold off on any more purchases for the time being, but if the X-E2 fixes the AF and brings it into OM-D territory, I may just switch to Fuji. I could do fine with the 14/2.8, 35/1.4, the 18-55 and 55-200, plus they need one longer portrait lens (an 85/2 would be perfect for keeping good DOF control balanced with smaller size). I have my Rokinon 85/1.4, which works beautifully on the X-E1 with an adapter, but it's really too large and heavy to carry with me all the time...it dwarfs the camera.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:08 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.3 #10 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

>> X100s - X-Trans CMOS II sensor
Is this different from the current X-E1 sensor?

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Yes...but I think image quality is the same...the II has phase detect sensors on it to help with good light AF acquisition. Unfortunately, from what I hear, low light AF is similar (I read that the phase detect only works in brighter light), which is the only real weak point of the X-E1 (for a stills shooter).

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:25 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password