Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

I've been saving some pennies for one of these cameras and today I managed to have a play with the XE-1 and X100 in the store for the first time. Whilst I realise the X100s has some pretty solid improvements over the X100, namely the AF performance (and sensor of course but I was not comparing IQ today), I have to say I was probably more impressed with the XE-1.

Trying to be rational about this as my heart was always set on the X100s for the fact it has the fixed focal length and the smaller profile meaning I can slip it in my jacket pocket. Plus the equivalent focal length is 35mm against the XE-1's 28mm when using the 18mm f2. However, I think Fuji are soon to release the 23mm f1.4 in the XF mount which will match the 35mm focal length of the X100 but have the advantage of f1.4 over f2.

The handling of the XE-1 just seemed nicer. It felt better in my hands and thinking it through the much nicer EVF and LCD screen made the whole experience better. I felt the AF performance of the 18mm f2 was very good indeed. Much much faster than I was expecting based on the negative feedback on the web so it looks like the firmware update has done the trick. In my mind it is more than fast enough for what I would use it for.
However, my understanding is that the EVF and LCD on the X100s are also improved over the X100 so in this area the X100s will compare to the XE-1.

I'm curious to hear from those of you who have either the X100 or the XE-1 to see what your thoughts are on them. If you're using the X100 have you ever tried the XE-1 or considered swapping, and vice-versa? Do you guys think the X100s improvements make it a no brainer over the XE-1?
I'm not necessarily looking for a camera that I can buy lots of lenses for as I have my DSLR's for when I need flexibility with focal lengths. I guess my choice is between the X100s or the XE-1 with the 18mm or 23mm lens.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:06 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

For me, buying the X100 was based primarily on the OVF option. If I was in your shoes, it would probably be a decision between the X100s and X-Pro1. If I was to consider an EVF only camera, I'd probably look at the Nex-6 or OM-D before the X-E1, myself, but any of them are great cameras.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

I don't know, if it depends on a supply of interesting primes, I think I would place the NEX-6 at the bottom, as I would if I was rating the menu system. However, I would place it at the top for the EVF.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:55 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

I do not have any experience with the X100s. I do like my X-E1 for handling much better than the NEX cameras. The X-E1 feels much more like a camera to me coming from older MF cameras. The newer RAW converting software by Capture One and the new Silkypix Pro5 are much better than previous RAW converters for the camera.

With my new RRS bracket and grip the camera handles much better than naked with all of my MF Leica R lenses. Below is a photo of my camera in full battle gear minus lens with the RRS bracket and grip and shutter soft release.

Rich

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #5 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

From a technical viewpoint, the X100s will have the latest bells & whistles. The XE-1 would be a great camera, but IMO they both serve different purposes. The XE-1 is the best camera to use alt lenses on, if you plan on carrying your camera around everywhere, then the X100s will be a better choice. Oh, and the 18/2 is a great lens, very surprised by some of the negativity surrounding it.
And just because....

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:11 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

I must say, I'm very very tempted by the X-E1. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. It really surprised me and felt just great. The more reviews I red too the more I'm starting to lean towards it over the X100. The reviews of the 35mm f1.4 are astonishing too.

I really wanted a camera that will come with me always as I miss so many great photo opportunities through not wanting to lug the D4 or D800 around all day. I don't believe the X-E1's size and weight with the 35mm attached will stop me from taking it out everywhere, but the X100's will be much more portable.

At this point in time I think I'm 70/30 in favour of the X-E1 with the 35mm f1.4. Bundle price is around 999 at the mo with an SRP on the X100s of 1099. I wonder how quickly the X100s will drop.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:26 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

carstenw wrote:
I don't know, if it depends on a supply of interesting primes, I think I would place the NEX-6 at the bottom, as I would if I was rating the menu system. However, I would place it at the top for the EVF.

The 24/1.8, 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 are all good NEX primes. Either way, the Zeiss primes are coming soon for both X and NEX, which should be interesting.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:47 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Yes, there are a few interesting primes for NEX. However, both Fuji and especially MFT has a larger collection currently. In the future this might change, but roadmaps are subject to change, so we will have to wait and see.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:58 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Fuji only has a 14, 18, 35 and 60 macro, which isn't really much, either. The 18 seems to be along the lines of the Sony 16, where some like it more than others. Sony also has the two excellent Sigma primes. m4/3, on the other hand, does have more options.

It's the sensor where I'd really pick the Nex-6, but that's another topic.

I should add, though, as primarily a 50mm equiv shooter, the Fuji 35/1.4 looks the most interesting, to me.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:07 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

Right, Fuji currently has only one more good prime, but look at the focal lengths: 21/27/53/90 vs. 36/53/75. When the Fuji 23mm comes out soon the traditional focal lengths are very well covered. All that is needed at that point is a portrait lens around 80-85mm, which is also on the way, I believe. The Sony 16 is also in there somewhere, but it is somewhat weaker than the others.

The difference in strategy is stark though. Fuji started with 27/53/90 and later added a zoom. Sony started with a bunch of zooms and much later added a few primes. For enthusiasts, Fuji's strategy is great, Sony's less so. I don't mean to imply that Sony's system isn't worth looking at, but I am much more reassured by Fuji's solid strategy than by Sony's release schedule.

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

carstenw wrote:
Yes, there are a few interesting primes for NEX. However, both Fuji and especially MFT has a larger collection currently. In the future this might change, but roadmaps are subject to change, so we will have to wait and see.

I'd call it a wash between the NEX and Fuji. Both have 3 actually interesting primes (14/2.8, 35/1.4, 60/2.4 for Fuji, 24/1.8, 35/1.8, 50,1.8 for Sony) and 1-2 problematic ones (18/2 for Fuji, 16/2.8 and 30/3.5 for Sony) with more interesting stuff on the way. Counting the total available in the system puts Sony ahead via the Sigma twins.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

carstenw wrote:
Right, Fuji currently has only one more good prime, but look at the focal lengths: 21/27/53/90 vs. 36/53/75. When the Fuji 23mm comes out soon the traditional focal lengths are very well covered. All that is needed at that point is a portrait lens around 80-85mm, which is also on the way, I believe. The Sony 16 is also in there somewhere, but it is somewhat weaker than the others.

The difference in strategy is stark though. Fuji started with 27/53/90 and later added a zoom. Sony started with a bunch of zooms and much later added a few primes. For
...Show more

Umm, Fuji offers 21/27/53/90 vs 24/36/45/53/75 for Sony. Sony has a 30 and 127 equivalent on the way, with the 30 arriving shortly and that's not counting the 29 and 45 equivalents from Sigma. Both are filling standard FL's for enthusiasts. And Sony's 16 is at least as good as Fuji's 18.

And no, Sony didn't start with a bunch of zooms, they started with one prime and two zooms, added a second prime and third zoom fairly quickly and then started filling things out. The only real complaint with zooms is just how many different 18-200's are needed (well, Sony started out with a high-end one which was then replaced with a lower-end consumer stills one and a high-end video one, makes sense when you remember that the NEX system is both the stills system we are discussing and the equally important to Sony NEX-VG camcorder system)

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

I did say "interesting" lenses, not total lenses Fuji's lenses are much stronger on average. How many people here would own NEX cameras if they could not adapt their other system lenses? 0? Recently this has improved, but I am not reassured at all by the apparent lack of strong direction in the release schedule. It seems very hap-hazard.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

carstenw wrote:
I did say "interesting" lenses, not total lenses Fuji's lenses are much stronger on average. How many people here would own NEX cameras if they could not adapt their other system lenses? 0? Recently this has improved, but I am not reassured at all by the apparent lack of strong direction in the release schedule. It seems very hap-hazard.

Umm, really? Of the Fuji lenses only the 35 looks really outstanding, although the 14 may well be, it hasn't been out long enough to really tell (I suspect it will be). The 18 is at least as disappointing as the Sony 16 and for much the same reasons (lousy extreme corner performance), and at least double the cost while the 60 is merely meh, being a mid-speed macro of average performance for a macro. Good lens but not a system seller.

The Fuji system to me looks like an RF system, buy it for the normal, and maybe buy something else to round out your system if needed.

On the Sony side, the 24, 35 and 50 are all excellent lenses. Sure the Fuji 35's arguably better than the Sony 35, but it's not by that much and the Sony 35 and 50 are both stabilized, which more than makes up for the half-stop difference.

Frankly with the release of the 35 and 10-18 and the announcement of the 20 pancake I'd have to say Sony's lens line is currently a fair bit stronger than the limited Fuji lens line. The pending arrival of the 23/1.4 and 56/1.4 from Fuji will even things up but the X lineup is still completely missing any real telephoto options.

Personally I'd have been perfectly happy shooting NEX purely with native lenses, the 24/50 combo worked pretty well for me. I sold my 50 because I liked the rendering from other 50's better, not because the optical performance was lacking (it was in fact superior to either of the lenses I chose over it, not that they were bad)

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

The Sony lineup is larger, yes, but stronger is a judgement call. I just still today don't see enough lenses in the Sony system which I am interested in, whereas the Fuji was nearly done when it was released, and when the 23mm is fully out (shipping has apparently started?), then it is more or less complete for my type of usage. The f/2.8-4 zoom is a stroke of genius, much more interesting than the typical f/3.5-5.6 kit zooms. I don't really use telephoto lenses much, so I feel no lack there, personally.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

xe1 will be replaced with same the xe1s. Will their pdaf AF work who knows?

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

carstenw wrote:

FWIW, when I was shooting Nex, I started with all manual lenses, and, after a while, I ended up switching to all native lenses, because they were good performers. I would say the Sony lineup is as strong as the Fuji lineup, at this point.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

carstenw wrote:
The Sony lineup is larger, yes, but stronger is a judgement call. I just still today don't see enough lenses in the Sony system which I am interested in, whereas the Fuji was nearly done when it was released, and when the 23mm is fully out (shipping has apparently started?), then it is more or less complete for my type of usage. The f/2.8-4 zoom is a stroke of genius, much more interesting than the typical f/3.5-5.6 kit zooms. I don't really use telephoto lenses much, so I feel no lack there, personally.

I guess we will have to agree to
...Show more

The interesting thing is that I see only the 14 as the only really unique aspect of the Fuji system. It was a nice lineup when launched but Fuji has been far slower to improve the lens lineup than even Sony and Sony offers lenses covering every other comparable slot that compete on IQ. Sony basically hit enough primes for me when the 50 arrived (I prefer the 35/(75/85/90) pair to a normal) and I'm an admitted proponent of the 16, which I consider a solid little lens, especially considering the low cost. The far more expensive 18/2 from Fuji is at least as weak and yet doesn't get anywhere near the hate of the Sony 16.

I also think the X 18-55 was a poor design choice, adding negligible speed in return for a larger footprint and a much higher cost. That's a matter of taste though, if I'm stuck with an 18-55 I'd rather have slow, compact, cheap and good to slowish, largish, expensive and good.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:12 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

The Fuji 35mm f/1.4 is not interesting? Amazing.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Fuji X100s vs XE-1

mawz wrote:
The interesting thing is that I see only the 14 as the only really unique aspect of the Fuji system. It was a nice lineup when launched but Fuji has been far slower to improve the lens lineup than even...

The XF 14/2.8 R will be very useful, but the XF 56/1.4 R is what I'm really looking forward to.

I'm good. I can wait...

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:23 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password