Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

ai3x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

So at the moment I blog everything and I try to drive as much traffic as possible to my blog via facebook etc.

One thing I'm realising though is that when I post an image on facebook it gets a lot more social interaction, comments, shares etc then a blog post does. I'm wondering about moving the majority of my post wedding marketing from the blog to facebook.

Has anybody else tried this? Obviously you loose a lot of the SEO benefits but in exchange you get greater client interaction.

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

I believe the opposite is true. For me, I try to get potential clients to my website where I can control the branding and they can see more images etc.. Facebook is a satellite office in my opinion. I rarely book from Facebook, if I do that's cool. Putting more eggs in the Facebook basket is just not the way to go moving forward IMO.

Feb 16, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

I don't think it's wise to move all your marketing to a third party source that is currently trying very hard to leverage all their marketing potential into paid promotion.

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:02 AM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I don't think it's wise to move all your marketing to a third party source that is currently trying very hard to leverage all their marketing potential into paid promotion.

110% agree.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

Brian Virts wrote:
Putting more eggs in the Facebook basket is just not the way to go moving forward IMO.

I agree. I wouldn't commit too much to a platform that you can't control.

If you want to experiment you could try pushing more with facebook, but I wouldn't switch completely.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

Yeah so for my latest blog post I've launched it on the blog and facebook at the same time. The way I see things:

Blog -> new clients who probably aren't connected to me or previous couples. Blog -> website where they make contact and book

Facebook -> friends of clients, a way to maximise the referal potential of a particular wedding. Facebook -> Website where they see more images and book.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

more time experiencing life, less time facebooking. even if business suffers a little.

that is my opinion!

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

Link your blog posts on your wall. Everything thats done via other avenues should always be directing them to your website. Let alone FB photo quality is blah.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

I wonder if greater facebook integration in the future will partly solve this 'problem'. How you look at blog vs facebook above is certainly how I've understood it as well. For me I wonder if better facebook integration for mobile users would be effective, as I think (I could be wrong) that is when/how many people view facebook.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:22 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

big companies, need and want to monetize the internet, one way or another. Whether your selling a product or service or buying either. Those who relied on Big G got burned and those who rely on FB will get burned.

Local is where it's at. Been Liked in Iceland or found on the moon isn't going to bring you a local client.
Lay your own eggs and keep them sweet.

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:07 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

I don't think people are quite getting what I mean. I'm definitely not advocating completely doing away with my blog. I'm mearly wondering which is worth promoting more when new weddings come in. There is no way in this world I'm putting all my eggs in the facebook basket I'm just wondering if it might be worth feeding the chicken who lays the most eggs a little more.

As an experiment I posted my Sri Lankan wedding on both my blog and some photos on FB. In one day the blog got 203 views, 5 comments and 27 likes. The FB photos got 7100 photo views, 205 likes and 25 comments. While I'd rather people saw my work on my own branded site I'll take a facebook view of my photos over no view any day.

Feb 16, 2013 at 07:00 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

jofoto photo wrote:
big companies, need and want to monetize the internet, one way or another. Whether your selling a product or service or buying either. Those who relied on Big G got burned and those who rely on FB will get burned.

Local is where it's at. Been Liked in Iceland or found on the moon isn't going to bring you a local client.
Lay your own eggs and keep them sweet.

Last year I shot in 4 wedding overseas, this year it's looking like it'll be 5. I'll take a wedding in Iceland if you don't want it!

Feb 16, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

As an experiment I posted my Sri Lankan wedding on both my blog and some photos on FB. In one day the blog got 203 views, 5 comments and 27 likes. The FB photos got 7100 photo views, 205 likes and 25 comments.

I suspect this depends at least in part on how much of the wedding you post to FB. If you post a two- or three-image teaser on FB with link to the blog (or perhaps even just the blog link) and tag the bride and groom on that, then everyone's got to go to the blog to see the images.

By contrast, if you post enough of the images to FB that most viewers are satisfied, then you've killed your blog traffic. It's marginally easier for folks to stay in FB than to follow an outbound link. So if you give them enough in FB to satisfy curiosity, they'll stop there.

I don't have a blog, so it's not easy for me to test this, but I hypothesize that you could test a few ways of teasing your blog on FB and, over a couple of months, find the optimal teaser to send traffic to the blog.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

Facebook is like high school. The more you scream and holler the more "amazing" you seem. I see people post extremely subpar photographs and get 200 likes and 50 comments on how amazing they are. I see people post an amazing photo and get 3 likes and zero comments. While facebook is a necessary evil right now, I do believe it's going to fall. They are doing everything to milk users for any money they can. What used to be a good way to reach people started to fall when they partook in social engineering, changing that only posts that were popular (number of likes and comments) would get seen, and then slowly changing which posts get seen all together and then introducing pay to play in which you must pay to get your posts seen.

I also tried doing an ad for my facebook page when I first started using it. Got a lot of likes, and as soon as I voluntarily ended my ad, a bunch of likes disappeared. Facebook sucks big time. It's gone way downhill, it will continue this slide, facebook logs everything you post on there including doing facial scans on your photos and logs of who you're with and sell it to .gov and gets a billion dollar tax break.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

FB = bait, website = hook.

I don't think either can rule the other out - maybe just post more to Facebook if you're seeing good results?

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

ai3x wrote:
Last year I shot in 4 wedding overseas, this year it's looking like it'll be 5. I'll take a wedding in Iceland if you don't want it!

Good for you, you left 4 at home

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:01 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

I appreciate this isn't what you want to do, but I find it interesting that Jeff Ascough actually HAS recently switched entirely to a FB page & removed his blog. It's a shame as there were some good posts on his old blog that are no longer accessible.

Feb 17, 2013 at 04:58 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

ai3x wrote:
I'm wondering about moving the majority of my post wedding marketing from the blog to facebook.

Just curious what portion of your brides seem to have a Facebook account.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM
jared_irl
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

D. Diggler wrote:
Just curious what portion of your brides seem to have a Facebook account.

I'm glad this topic is being discussed here, as i'm experiencing the exact same thing that ai3x is.

Diggler, to answer your question - 100% of my brides have a FB account, and more often than not, we are actually communicating via FB chat instead of email or phone anymore.

My FB posts get an easy 150x more traffic than my blog posts. I do a lot of tagging and sharing, encourage my brides, the guests and their friends to do the same. This has resulted in my posts becoming a sort of water cooler for everyone at the wedding to look at the photos and re-hash the events of the night. I don't feel my blog can ever equal this level of banter between parties at the wedding, and so people just look at the images and move on.

With a business that's built entirely on referrals and recommendations from other brides, how can I get better than that level of interaction from a blog post? I'm up for ideas, as I really hate having my business built around FB allowing me to have that communication, but I'm not finding another way to do it.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:22 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Blog Vs Facebook Page

Just wondering if you pay FB on ads?

I don't. And over the last few months have seen a huge decline on Reach.

Is this the strategy that FB is taking? Pay to play kinda thing?

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.