Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Suggestion for type of lenses

redbarn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestion for type of lenses

I am planning to go on a trip abroad and will be shooting mostly architecture and some landscape. I'm not too interested in photographing people. I currently have a Tamaron 18 - 270 and Canon 28- 135. I have to be honest I am very disappointed with the Tamaron lens.

If it was up to my first instinct, I would just pack my Lumix5 vs Canon SLR. So I'm wondering if I going to take my SLR, if I should consider buying a wide angle lens and a 50mm instead of the zoom lenses. On the other hand, I not too sure about interchanging lenses throughout the day.

I took it to an African Safari and the images came back awful even though I shot a lot before leaving. In fact, I took my Lumix 5 and it did a better job in RAW and Manual Mode.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:36 AM
FredVf
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestion for type of lenses

I've heard and seen great things about the Sigma 10-20 and it's higher priced Canon brother as well. The wide angle and sharpness great for architectural as well as interior photography. I don't own one but I have been reading reviews and seeing sample photographs of and what I have seen is stunning, and all excellent reviews. That is the next lens on my list.

Good luck,

Fred

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:02 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestion for type of lenses

Fred
Yes, thanks but that's way above my budget

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestion for type of lenses

What SLR body...if full frame (and to some extent a crop body... 28mm - 60mm...), a Canon 17-40 f/4L might be something to look at...check referb. prices...

Jefferson

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:53 PM
jeremytf50d

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestion for type of lenses

The Sigma 10-20 that Fred mentioned is a pretty affordable lens, as lenses go. And it is above your budget. Then so would be the 17-40L. What exactly IS your budget?

Superzooms such as the Tamron 18-270 are naturally a compromise on image quality. You get maximum versatility and give up image quality. The alternative is better image quality and less focal range. You mention not wanting to trade lenses, but that's one main reason to get a DSLR to begin with...

You might consider how to make the trip easier with 2 or more lenses. For example, I carry a belt pouch with a second lens so I have two free hands for photography.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

boingyman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestion for type of lenses

I'm assuming you have a ASP-C body. With that being said what's your actual budget?

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:01 AM
MMauro72
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestion for type of lenses

I have never been on an African Safari but I am interested in going on one. The prices for the Safari are pricey. That being said, how can you afford to go all over the world but not afford a decent pro quality lens to photograph all those experiences?

If you are traveling on your dime I suggest at least considering to rethink your budget for the equipment you use and at least rent the right gear if you don't think spending money on it is worth the Investment. At least you will have excellent photos from your trips. Many of which I would consider trips of a lifetime.

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:55 PM
wayne_eddy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestion for type of lenses

Why not get a second hand Sigma 10-20mm? They are only about $350-$400, that price is likely the lowest you are going to pay for a lens that is going to have many desirable features as the most expensive alternative, bar the superior image quality they produce.

I've recently moved to full frame and shoot with a 17-40mm and prior to that the 10-Sigma 20mm and 17-70mm were my most used combo for travel and wide. The 17-70mm was a great walk around, nice and sharp, low f/ at wider angles and a good size and weight. The 10-20mm WIDE but but produces great results for a lens at market price.

I'm planning on selling these two lenses in the coming weeks either on the forum or on ebay if you are interested.

If the Siggies are too expensive you could look at the antique/vintage lens market and get manual focus lenses. You would have to shop around and do some research but that could be worthwhile.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:39 PM
FredVf
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestion for type of lenses

Also look into the Pro Optic 14mm f/2.8 ED ASPH. Around $270. It is a manual focus lens so that helps with the price. I haven't researched this lens but it I saw a few good reviews.

Fred

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:31 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password