New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pricing of photos used for promotional purpose

HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pricing of photos used for promotional purpose

I took some photos last summer of a competitive bike ride and have been asked to photograph the event again this year. I've been approached by the promoters about using a few of the photos for promotional purposes. I am kind of at a loss as to how much to ask per photo. This is a small community and the ride drew about 60 to 80 riders. I don't want to sell myself short nor do I want to insult the promoters by asking too much. I'm looking for some input as to what some of you might consider reasonable.

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:49 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pricing of photos used for promotional purpose

There are many factors involved in pricing photography. For instance, you could charge a reasonable assignment fee to cover everything you shot that day plus editing. OTOH, if you play the stock photo game and price them individually it's going to be harder to sell because you could be competing against generic, royalty-free stock of bike riders. From your description it seems the job is small time, but regular once a year. You never know if that job might lead to something more profitable in the future. I would just charge a standard assignment fee and let them sort through the pictures with maybe an understanding that they are for one-time use.

http://www.pixiq.com/article/photography-pricing

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pricing of photos used for promotional purpose

Borderlight, thanks for your input and the link. I'm just going to talk to the people and be real up front with them, see if we can't come to some mutually beneficial agreement. I agree with what you said about seeing if it doesn't lead to something in the future.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.