Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

aoijay

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

I'm so torn on this decision, please help me!

Canon 6D or Nikon D600!?

Purpose: I recently got employed to shoot stills on movie sets. I'll be most likely working 10+ hour days. What camera would you pick and why? (also doesn't have to be the cameras I listed) I'm leaning towards these 2 because of their weight and image quality.

I will also be using this camera for wedding/engagement and short films.

Thank you in advanced!

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:04 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #2 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

D600 - better autofocus, built in flash (if that matters), dual card slots, a little bigger (which could be good or bad depending on your hands)

6D - Built-in wifi, built in GPS, some sort of silent mode (though the D600 has quiet mode, which may be the same, I'm not sure)

If those features don't matter, then I think it really comes down to personal preference. I think they're both great in low-light, have pretty much the same target audience, etc.

We're all going to biased on brands. Some here will scream, "Go Canon because...." while the same will be said from the Nikon folks. I'm a Nikon shooter, but I also shoot Canon. Personally, I don't think it matters squat between those two cameras. They'll both be fine on set or at a wedding and they're both good wedding cameras.

If you need pro-glass, (f/2.8 zooms), then Canon's offerings are typically less expensive than Nikon's. However I like Nikon's glass better. Personal preference. Both companies have pluses and negatives. Nikon's user support has been rather marginal lately, and I think Canon has the lead there.

I'd buy a D600 because I already have lenses for it. I really like the fast Nikon primes, but Canon's are good too.

Do you have any idea what your lens needs will be?

Sorry, I know I didn't tell you which camera to buy. Others here probably will. In the end, it's really not going to matter much since you're not married to either system and they're both great. If one sucked, then we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

Cheers,

Randy

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Dpedraza
• •
p.1 #3 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

I'd say 5dmii or D800. 5dmiii has great ISO performance and is pretty quick. D800 because stellar image quality and high cropping ability. I had a D600 and I didn't like it although it's nice an quiet. I know very little about the 6d don't really care too much about it either

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM
vivisha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

Not to be a jerk, but how did you get a job like that and not know what equipment to use? I see in your profile you have leica gear and contax gear, so I'm thinking you have the means to buy what is necessary to get the job done. Between the cameras you're trying to decide, I would pick based on the lenses you want to use it with, and that would also be based on the budget you have for the system you will end up buying. I have more canon lenses than I do nikon, so I would pick canon, but I would not use the 6d. I used the 5Dlll for a while and the silent shutter was truly silent, I don't have experience shooting on movie sets, but I've heard a lot of people that do, use Blimps to shoot and not make any noise on the sets.

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:23 AM
aoijay

p.1 #5 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

thank you for all the replies thus far.

Vivisha, I currently work in post production as an assistant editor and the producer of the show saw some of my personal photos and asked if I would consider being a set photog. I am mainly a film shooter, and I've actually shot a fair share of productions for friend's indie shoots which I've only used film cameras for. I plan to make a career change and be a professional set photog and of course I can't shoot film for those, maybe a little

My lens choice would be a fast zoom I'm thinking the 24-70 f2.8 L and a fast 50mm prime. I usually prefer primes but the camera would be in a blimp and switching out would be a hassle. The reason why I hesitate to buy a Mark iii or a D800 is because of the size/weight, at the end of the day I know I would be much happier with a smaller camera, and the full frame 6D and D600 fits that bill. Unfortunately I can't decide between each camera's inherent quirks.

I'm not too keen with lenses for DSLR's, my world is rangefinders & medium formats. If anyone has any lens suggestions (canon or nikon) for what you think might work well for my situation I would greatly appreciate it. Mainly I'm looking for versatility, and quality.

you are all the best,

Jay

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vivisha
• •
p.1 #6 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

I see, well in that case, I would say get the 6D. The wi-fi function will work with the camera in the blimp and you can shoot it from your phone and see the pictures and composition without any problems.

The new canon zoom 24-70ll 2.8L is reported to be the best mid-range zoom out there right now, I have the first version and is not as good as the same nikon zoom that I also have. For 50mm primes, there are a lot out there. A lot of people like the sigma 1.4 over the canon version, the 50L 1.2 is said to have focusing issues, but it has the widest aperture and that is where people have the focusing problems.

I would say buy an SD card and go to the Samy's camera store and check both cameras and see how you like the files and the handling of the cameras. I use both Canon and Nikon and the ergonomics of the two systems are very different, having the camera in your hands will help you see which system is closest to your style of shooting.

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

I switched to the D600 (from earlier full frame Nikons) for shooting live music specifically because of how quiet it is. I don't think any other full frame camera comes close.

I'd also have something quieter, or a really good blimp. I use an NEX-7 as my second camera, but on a film set I'd probably choose a Fuji X100, which has a leaf shutter that is quieter still -- far quieter than any Leica.

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:50 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

if this is a "real" movie set. silent mode will not be enough for the film crew. you will need to blimp it. you also need to take in account the noise of your AF lens (that is if you are using one)

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #9 · 6d or D600 for still photographer movie set

Yeah, you really need a silent camera. My D700 is way too noisy without a blimp

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:27 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password