Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

Hi guys.
My pc died a couple month ago and have been debating whether to get a mac or pc but decided to build a pc.
I'm not a pro and dont own a studio.
Just need a good pc to last me 4-5 years.
All I do is lightroom and might start photoshop and video editing in the future.
My budget for the computer alone is about $1000 and i also need a good 27 inch monitor.
I was looking the dell 27 ips. Any other ones i should be looking at in the price range that performs better?

My main concern is which cpu, graphic card, and how much ram to get.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Jacob D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

No real input from me on the monitor, I've got a Dell 24 inch and it's very nice.

I built my system, maybe a year ago, so here are a few thoughts...

Use a MB with integrated graphics and see how things go for you before you spend cash on a GPU (just plan for a GPU when you size your power supply). It will probably come down to how often you use PS and what exactly you're doing. I'm using integrated graphics on an Asus P8z68 board; probably the most intensive operations I do in PS are stitching multi image panos together, the largest being about 100 MP, this goes pretty fast. Sharpening operations on those files can take a bit longer, but we're talking about maybe 10 minutes on a relatively large image. edit... just saw you mentioned video editing, when you start doing that you'll definitely need a GPU, but I'd still wait until you have the need... prices only come down with time.

I have an i5 2500k processor and 16 GB ram.

In almost all other situations the one thing that's made the biggest difference is a solid state drive. I'd suggest doing your homework on how to setup and run LR from a SSD. The difference in speed for all the day to day operations is huge.

I took the cheap way and decided to get a smaller SSD and rely on Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (software) to cache commonly accessed files. This is supposed to provide about 80% of the speed boost of a native SSD install/file access. It's awesome... but it's a little buggy. Probably once every few months I have some issue with it where something hangs up, usually crashes my system, and involves me re-formatting the SSD to get things running again. If you can get a larger SSD and get as much of your software and library onto it as possible this would surely be the place to spend money.

This was the first computer I've built and it was actually much easier than I thought it would be, with the help of a few people from this forum and the knowledgebase over at hardforum.com

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:28 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

Thanks for your detailed input. Definitely getting an ssd.
Should i get an i5 or i7.
I tend to open multiple windows in internet explorer and use lightroom at the same time.
I dont know if i5 is good enough.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

You're welcome.

"I tend to open multiple windows in internet explorer and use lightroom at the same time."

... if this is your criteria, then definitely get the i5. If you don't know a reason why you need the i7, then you probably don't. You may want to read about the technical differences between them in more detail.

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RDParker

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

i7 fer sure- my 2 cents- get a fast Nvidia GPU and the power to go with it, you can thank me later. Check out New egg for product reviews and customer feedback- so are you building your own rig or just putting together a system?

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:20 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

If you spend a couple of mins searching this subforum you will get all the answers you need - this topic comes up every 2-4 weeks....

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

More like every 2 days...

Just wondering out loud... But can one get an IPS 27" and build a decent PC for $1k? I thought not. If indeed it's not then I would suggest a 23" or a 24" IPS. 27" is great for watching movies from across the room but for me 27" is too big for editing. 23" and 24" is the sweet spot IMO. I can see the full image without my eyes going all goofy and stressing my neck out.

Anyway, something to consider when/if you become aware that $1k isn't enough for both.

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:24 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help building a pc and 27" monitor recommendation

Oh i meant the $1000 is the budget for the pc only.
I currently have a 24" monitor and i want something bigger..

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:47 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password