Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

fotosiamo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

Hi all! I just thought I upload my two images from a beauty shoot that I recently shot, Beauty for All Seasons.

The concept is a study of beauty through hair and make-up across the four seasons. So far, I have finished Spring and Autumn. Would love to hear your opinions. I shot the series with the Panasonic GH2 and the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens along with 1 to 2 Einstein strobes.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM
fotosiamo

p.1 #2 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

So the way I shot this is I had the model lay on the ground above each season's style prop, and I shot her from the 2nd story balcony:

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

What lengths we go to make our shots! Good work, and thanks for illustrating your set-up.
Douglas

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:16 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #4 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

# 2 works better for me in terms of lighting and makeup but, correct me if I am wrong, in both shots the skins seems to be over-processed for my taste. If that's the look you were going for I would still remove the highlight at the nose of #1 (looks wet). Cool setup by the way!

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:40 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

How far does that extension cord go?

It's interesting to me the choices we make. Using the black backdrops and leaves and sticks for fall looks fine, but the green carpet for spring is a little surprising given that you have green grass just 10 feet away. Worked out very nicely though.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #6 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

I think it's a cool concept and the lighting/hair/makeup looks awesome. If it were me (and this may just be me) I would have gone outside somewhere and found some areas in nature to photograph these things. But I'm weird like that. :P

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:18 PM
walt1

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

Beauty Shots!
Interesting and creative setup... although a tad bit much make-up.
Perhaps needed to portray porcelain doll.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:41 PM
fotosiamo

p.1 #8 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

I wanted to shoot the model straight on while she's laying down on the ground, but from the 2nd story. The lens I'm using has a full-frame equivalent of 150mm.

That rules out the grass because I don't want to shoot it in an angle. Also, I actually had to add the "grass" in post, since the original green was the dark table cloth tarp.

As for the make-up, the first one was fine, but the 2nd was a little to over-caked, so I had to retouch it a lot more, which is one of the reasons it looks a bit overdone in post. In reality, it kinda started out looking a little overdone, lol.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:25 PM
shrimp1234
• •
p.1 #9 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

nice pics. interesting concept.... but as noted before, a tad bit extra makeup (or is it pp?)

and from the looks of the lens.... its the yummy 75/1.8. right?

S

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:31 PM
fotosiamo

p.1 #10 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

Here is the before and after of the autumn shot, to show how much make up correction that I had to do =)

And yes, it is the yummy and stunningly sharp! Definitely love this lens and I try to find excuses to use it, haha!

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:38 PM

shrimp1234
• •
p.1 #11 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

i prefer the original, with some extra lighting on the right half.... but, that is me. The client normally makes the decision.

S

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:42 PM
fotosiamo

p.1 #12 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

Well, it's a personal project, so I get to make the creative decisions, haha.

I definitely prefer my take on it over the original, since there were skin and make-up quality issues in the first one.

Plus, I'm aiming more for the beauty market, so I prefer a slightly more smoother skin than a "normal" image.

=)

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM
fotosiamo

p.1 #13 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

Don't forget too that when the image is shrunken down as it is above, the skin will look even more smoother. At 50% zoom and higher in Photoshop, there are plenty of skin texture, as there are in 1280 resolution and up.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM
shrimp1234
• •
p.1 #14 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

fotosiamo wrote:
.....At 50% zoom and higher in Photoshop, there are plenty of skin texture, as there are in 1280 resolution and up......

umm... that would definitely change the perception.

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:04 PM
Cr VI
• •
p.1 #15 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

I think the PS work is great...true, maybe a little more skin texture would be nice...but otherwise, terrific. Was it PS or one of the other tools? You also did some face shaping, right?

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #16 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

Great photos and thanks for sharing.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
fotosiamo

p.1 #17 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

Thanks for the comments so far guys! Yes, I did the work mostly in Photoshop, including some Liquify =)

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:01 AM
Kohala
• •
p.1 #18 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

I prefer the "after" version but would like to see the opacity reduced to bring in more of the original. I think you have a good command of the PS liquify filter. It's not easy to control. Your work is very impressive.

Feb 17, 2013 at 04:33 AM
ozpall
• • •
p.1 #19 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

great work, love the fall image more, not feeling the fake grass on the other one but i still like it.
thanks for the set up images and before and after shot, helps to visualize the whole project.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Beauty for All Seasons beauty photoshoot! Opinions?

First of all work like this amazes me because I wouldn't even know quite where to start So I immediately wish to say that I find this work outstanding!

Not sure if my comments will be in line correctly but I have a few things to say on perfecting #1 in my eyes.......The area along the nose side has a shine like sweat that bothers me and a small spot just in the nostril too. There is also one very small area similar on the right side of the upper lip. I find the texture on the lips a bit too coarse and would love to see them softened as they seem out of place against the skin?

Richness of color, contrast and skin hues are really special as is the lighting, I like these features of this shot in contrast of each other

Image #2 has great tones and balance for me. Would only think to possibly address the somewhat dominant leafs on the right side, either by desaturating or darkening which may also give the appearance of being a little less centered of the subject? They seem to introduce a yellow green which I don't relate to in other areas of the image in tonality.

Thanks for allowing me to comment openly, this is great work and I envy those that can do it!
Karl

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password