Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Jim Bau
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

I recently bought Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2 and am finally getting some time to try out the program. I have done a few images and would like to get some honest critiques of what I've done so far. I appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks for looking!

Edited on Feb 16, 2013 at 04:09 AM · View previous versions

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:57 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Nice James, especially like your machinery photos here.
Douglas

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:18 PM
FredVf
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Lovvvve that first one. Super nice!

Fred

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:13 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

I especially like the machinery images with #2 being my favorite.
#2 would also be my choice of processing the last three images.
Chris

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:47 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

love the machinery, Jim.
almost looks like it is at the Bodie mine. I'd love to see and shoot the place; please tell me where it is, and any hints you can pass along. thanks.
regards, tom

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:30 AM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Really nice work James. I love #2. Keep posting!

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:54 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

First is wonderful. Love the toning, symmetry. A bit for futuristic view from the 1950's feel here, in they style of Flash Gordon.
Second is a strong image as well. I kinda wish I could have a bit more on the right.
I look at the toning of the series and reflect on my own productions. It would be best to present them all with similar toning, but I also like to try to match toning to image and play a bit. On a more individual level, love the toning in the first, the sepia in the third.

Cool place!
Scott

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

A good series Jim. Love the first one, would love to see the others a bit bigger and it looks a great place to shoot.

Cheers Ray

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Thanks Douglas!
douter wrote:
Nice James, especially like your machinery photos here.
Douglas

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Thank you Fred. I think that is my favorite one also. I can't wait to go through my library and re-process some more!
FredVf wrote:
Lovvvve that first one. Super nice!

Fred

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

I appreciate the feedback Chris. I intentionally did all three of them differently just to play with the differnt options in the software. Still playing!
CDaescher wrote:
I especially like the machinery images with #2 being my favorite.
#2 would also be my choice of processing the last three images.
Chris

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Thank you Tom. I should have said that machinery pics were not from Griffith Observatory. All three are from the Wall Street Stamp Mill in Joshua Tree NP. It is about 3/4 mile walk to the mine from the lot, on a very well maintained, flat trail. All were shot on tripod with aperatures in the range of f/13-16 for the depth of field. All of them are either full frame, or just slight crops for composition/straightening. I wish I had more time at this mine, but I was with a group of people and to be fair we each only had a few minutes in each of the interesting parts of the mine.
tomandmarj wrote:
love the machinery, Jim.
almost looks like it is at the Bodie mine. I'd love to see and shoot the place; please tell me where it is, and any hints you can pass along. thanks.
regards, tom

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:58 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

I appreciate the feedback Scott. I was really pleased on how the first one turned out also. After processing the image in Silver Efex Pro, I then ran it through Nik's Dfine noise reduction and then their Sharpener Pro. Each step in the process helped make it "pop" even more!

I intentionally processed and posted the last three with diffent toning as I am still learning/playing with the software and was looking for feedback on if they work or not. Normally, I would agree with you that it would present better to have them all processed similarly.

sbeme wrote:
First is wonderful. Love the toning, symmetry. A bit for futuristic view from the 1950's feel here, in they style of Flash Gordon.
Second is a strong image as well. I kinda wish I could have a bit more on the right.
I look at the toning of the series and reflect on my own productions. It would be best to present them all with similar toning, but I also like to try to match toning to image and play a bit. On a more individual level, love the toning in the first, the sepia in the third.

Cool place!
Scott

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:04 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Thanks Ray! I will swap out the last three with a bit bigger images.
Dougo wrote:
A good series Jim. Love the first one, would love to see the others a bit bigger and it looks a great place to shoot.

Cheers Ray

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:05 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Jim, your Griffith is very nice, I wouldn't change a thing. But I think the close up of the wheel is my favorite of the series.

OK, here is my nit picken. Remember you asked. On the last shot, I keep trying to read the name plate. I think you should dodge it some, if you can.

The other thing is; every shot you have could stand on its own. And, this is a comment on presentation more than your processing, It kinda makes me pucker going from a sepia toned shot, right next to a cold blueish image. Now that's a real little nit, and I understand your post was about processing, and this is not a gallery. But since it's 2:30 in the morning and I got nothing better to do, I thought I would ramble on a bit. Remember you asked for comments.

Feb 16, 2013 at 09:35 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Griffith Observatory & Wall Street Stamp Mill (Edited)

Oh look its 3:00 and nobody else has commented. I'll just carry on by myself then.

Jim I've been thinking about this post, and here is my final answer. Most of the posters seem to favor the first, two images, as do I. But I think it's because they are stonger images, not because of the processing choice. Your Griffith would look good warm, cold, sepia, or whatever. It's just a good shot. Same thing with #2, I picture it in my mind looking good with multiple processing options.

I think it might just boil down to what an individual likes. Some people like chocolate, some don't. Personally I like a neutral tone, very much like your #2. Never really excited about the sepia, brown, antique look.

OK, I'm done now.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password