Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

gw2424

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

Hey FM'ers!

I am a 14 year old photographer that has been shooting for around 10 months. I am hoping to get some honest critique and learning more about this art medium.

Please let me know what you think and don't forget to try to be so harsh that I cry.

I can't post the photos directly to the site so I will give you a link instead.

Please critique whichever photos you think that you can cater to the most. (Area of Knowledge)

Personal Favorites - a set on Flickr

Thanks,
Gabe

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

Gabe,

Welcome to FM

Actually, you can post photos here if you imbed the link into the body of your message. From Flickr, use the Share > BB Code to copy/paste the link. 800px high is a decent size for posting.

For critique purposes, it usually goes best if you've got a single image posted for the PC, but even two or three isn't too bad sometimes.

IMG_1062 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_0042 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM
gw2424

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisephotographic/8463391968/in/set-72157632757553391

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisephotographic/8462231547/in/set-72157632757553391/

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM
gw2424

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

Oh...that didn't work.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:08 PM
gw2424

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

IMG_6629 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

Starbucks 2 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_2468 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

One of My Personal Favorites by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_0042 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_0797 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1062 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1031 B&W by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1044 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_5975 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_5875 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_6048 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_6958 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_6953 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_6949 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_6944 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_7061 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

IMG_7075 by GabeWisePhotography, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

Welcome to FM Gabe,

Great processing,

First, your photographic skills are far more advanced than anyone should ever expect from someone who has been "at it" for 10 months, whether s/he is 14 or 41. Very nice set. Not being anything I've ever attempted, I should say you've got the food-thing down to a fine science. Maybe a wider DOF depending on your purpose? Also, some image clean-up - the hair/thread in the lobster image for example.

I like the portraits - simple and to the point. #1031 - take care with blocked up highlights, maybe some detail can be recovered, #s 1044 and 5875 pull some detail from shadows, 7061 is over-sharpened for my taste, whatever that is worth.

On man & boy (son?), to me the building cupola and roof are distracting. One can argue the fishing poles distract also. The composition is the most complex of the set, and the extreme position of the subjects tends to lead the eye off the image. Also, the man's expression suggests you are intruding - and thus the viewer intrudes also which might prompt a negative feeling - maybe a stretch but a thought.

It would also be very helpful if the Exif can be included ar at least include the exposure data - lens FL, aperture, shutter-speed, and ISO.

Keep 'em coming,

Bob

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

As Bob said, its hard to believe you are 14 and at this less than a year.
The portraits are powerful.
For the most detailed feedback you should limit your post to two or three images related in some way. Eg variations on angle, aperture, processing, lighting or theme. Or a question that ties the presented images together.
Otherwise, too much to view, comment on.
You can start a new thread each day.
I will comment on the last portrait.
The processing is spot on. The tight portrait works well. A sense of this man's mood comes through. I am fine with his looking away from the camera, curious as to what he is reacting too. Others might wonder about a variation with more direct eye contact, but the question is what are you trying to tell us about him.

Scott

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:21 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

You have a good eye. Also, like most 14 year old boys, you seem to be hungry a lot!

I see you like street photography. I offer a word of caution, especially nowadays. Notice the expression on the man in the photo of him and the boy (his son?) on the pier. Did you hear what he's saying in that look? It is not a look of warm greeting, that's for sure. People may misunderstand what you're doing. Learn to read expressions and body language and stop photographing if they appear unhappy.

Too much to single out, but you are using depth of field well, especially to control backgrounds.

Keep up the good work and shoot, shoot, shoot. I was a year older than you when I won my first state photo competition! You can do it too!

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:56 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Best Work **Pictures Now Added**

dmacmillan wrote:
I see you like street photography. I offer a word of caution, especially nowadays. Notice the expression on the man in the photo of him and the boy (his son?) on the pier. Did you hear what he's saying in that look? It is not a look of warm greeting, that's for sure. People may misunderstand what you're doing. Learn to read expressions and body language and stop photographing if they appear unhappy.

It's also the most interesting of the portraits (besides the man in the chair) because it tells us something real about the man. It's not just a smiling man, anyone can get that by being polite and asking. Getting a reaction like that isn't something that many people are comfortable shooting, so it's rarer to see. The look may not even be hostile, it could just be his default expression when he isn't posing.

What you can do is approach the person afterward and talk to him, defuse him a bit. Don't try to BS him, just be honest about what you are doing and why. He still may not like that you took his picture, but he could come around and be okay.

For the close portraits, I'd go to a wider angle lens. You have the perspective distortion of being close up to them, show some environment to go with it, show their environment while they are still the up close and personal center of the show. Something like a fisheye or UWA lens like a Sigma 10-20.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:55 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password