Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

aztwang1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

Just kind of curious and wanted to check with other Nikon owners that may have had dealings with 42nd Street Photo. 42nd Street Photo has the D800, USA model with USA warranty and all normal accessories included for $2579.00. Am I missing something ?..as the price is by far best on the web by a couple hundred dollars and at that price I am tempted to buy new rather than used.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

I don't have experience with this vendor, they have always great prices for cameras and lenses but what the reviews say they called you the day after your purchase to sell you accessories for your camera like filters, batteries, etc. Even they sell separate the charger, battery and straps that are suppose to be part of the camera package.

Be careful and make sure they are shipping a brand new camera (no refurbished) will all the accessories for that price.

Marcelo

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

Haven't dealt with them but have heard what Marcelo says ( I used to buy my stuff in the US before traveling to the UK), they will try to sell a "bare" camera, no batteries, no strap, no charger, etc, then try to charge you a premium for those..

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:58 PM
aztwang1
• •
p.1 #4 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

I double checked. It is New USA, not refurbished and includes:
Nikon D800 SLR Digital Camera (Body Only)
EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery
MH-25 Quick Charger for EN-EL15 Battery
DK-17 Finder Eyepiece
UC-E14 USB Cable
USB Cable Clip
Camera Strap
BM-12 LCD Monitor Cover
BF-1B Body Cap
BS-1 Hot-Shoe Cover
ViewNX 2 CD-ROM

I'm still leery though...leery

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:16 PM
delic66

p.1 #5 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

I would stay away from them.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/camera-dealer-feedback/opinions-42nd-street-photo-needed-60733.html

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Adam Bavier
• •
p.1 #6 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

Looking around on the web it looks like it'll be a hassle.

The reviews on Yelp are 3 out of 5, though a few of the 5 star reviews are done by people with only 1 review ever. The 5 star reviews are all a little too rosy and informative. I'd hazard a guess they are paid. http://www.yelp.com/biz/42nd-street-photo-new-york-4

The reviews on resellerratings.com look all fake. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/42ND_St_Photo 99% of them are 5 stars with a few 1 star reviews. But all those 5 star reviews are done by people with only 1 review ever. Most likely also paid reviews. The 1 star reviews read like real reviews...

I wouldn't buy from them.

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:48 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #7 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

Years ago I bought a Coolpix 5400 from them without problems. But that was a long time ago.

I would do more research on what recent buyers have to say.

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:56 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

NEW YORK Better Business B rates them an F. With the 2% rebate from B&H it is only $161 more then 42nd's price and your totally safe.

Dave

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:00 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

Lightsearcher wrote:
I don't have experience with this vendor, they have always great prices for cameras and lenses but what the reviews say they called you the day after your purchase to sell you accessories for your camera like filters, batteries, etc. Even they sell separate the charger, battery and straps that are suppose to be part of the camera package.

Be careful and make sure they are shipping a brand new camera (no refurbished) will all the accessories for that price.

Marcelo

Good advice from Marcelo - I had the same experience with Abe's of Maine a few years ago. I stick with B&H, Adorama, and Amazon only.

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:22 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #10 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

Tell them you'll write three five star reviews if they knock off another $250.

Seriously though, I'd say it's worth the peace of mind to pay a little more for a more reputable, friendly business. +1 B&H or Adorama.

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #11 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

aztwang1 wrote:
Just kind of curious and wanted to check with other Nikon owners that may have had dealings with 42nd Street Photo. 42nd Street Photo has the D800, USA model with USA warranty and all normal accessories included for $2579.00. Am I missing something ?..as the price is by far best on the web by a couple hundred dollars and at that price I am tempted to buy new rather than used.

bookmark this site, it tells you what site are good and which ones to stay away from.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/42ND_St_Photo

I for one would stick to B&H Photo, Adaroma or Amazon

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:56 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #12 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

These places (Abe's of Maine and the like) always go for the upsell be it a camera, phone, or tv. They offer the lowest price around to get their foot into the door and then call you the next morning with other offers like expedited shipping, extended warranties, an upgrade to a newer model. I won't lie to you, it's annoying especially if you're located in a different time zone like I am, but that's all they do. They don't lie or cheat or try to trick you. If you have any doubts, use a major credit card like a Visa, Discover, or American Express card that offers an extra layer of buyer protection.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #13 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

Yup, got screwed over by Tri State myself when I bought my D7000. It was $100 cheaper than my regular Adorama and B&H and offered free shipping. Got it and found out they sold gray market without listing it that way. So really the same price as grey market from Adorama or B&H at the time.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM
jbailey930

p.1 #14 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

They have been around a long time. We got my FE2 from the in 1978 but that doesn't mean anything fwiw.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM
sonofjesse2010
• •
p.1 #15 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

I would stick with a very well known company.

B&H
Adorma
Amazon
Roberts

etc.....if its a lot cheaper than these stores...then it usually smells fishy. The prices on new gear for the most part is the price. If money is tight look at buying a refurb or a used one here.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:31 AM
aztwang1
• •
p.1 #16 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

OK..What was I think'in. Thanks for all your input...very helpful. I'll have to look into the B&H rebate.
Thanks again

Don

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:26 PM
svopen
• •
p.1 #17 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

No reason to even look at these iffy retailers when B&H, Adorama and Amazon are around for only a little more. I'm in NY and have to pay sales tax at these stores but to me the piece of mind in worth it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:42 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

My D800 came from Cameta. It was $2399 refurbished. It came with everything a new camera comes with, including a 1 year warranty. The shutter had 28 clicks on it. My first shot was number 29. I figure each click saved me 20 bucks.

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:55 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Nikon D800 from 42nd Street Photo

There's another dimension here - if Nikon has a new pricing policy that disallows publicly advertising below their Minimum Advertised Price, how do you think this one reseller is getting away with ignoring it?

I'm not cavalier about money, but I stick with the big three.

[As an aside, I generally try to frequent my local camera shops, but have had some fairly poor service recently in one, and the other doesn't stock much in the way of bodies and lenses.]

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:24 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password