Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9       10       end

Archive 2013 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

thw2 wrote:
Indeed. We should all join your crusade against Canon.

Really. I shoot Canon and have no inclination of changing brands in the near future. The crusade I have is against blind brand loyalty that is as close to one's heart as their favorite sports teams. We are talking about chunks of metal and glass here, right?

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:36 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

thw2 wrote:
For someone who spends a lot of time slamming Canon products, you clearly endorse any review that does the same.

I have not endorsed any reviews. I take them all in and use my own mind to determine what is right for me. I know how much the mighty dollar has an affect on people's judgement and read every single review with that in mind. I don't get excited or disappointed with a review...unlike other people here.

Would this conversation be totally different if the 6D got a gold medal? Would that rating actually change anything to do with the camera. Think about it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:40 AM
thw2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

chez wrote:
Would this conversation be totally different if the 6D got a gold medal? Would that rating actually change anything to do with the camera. Think about it.

I agree the rating won't change anything. I use both my OM-D and 6D with equal pleasure.

Having said that, I have to agree the reviews in DPReview can get pretty biased, depending on the reviewer. I remember how vignetting in 5D images were slammed pretty hard by Phil Askey. Then when Simon came on board, vignetting in the D3 was deemed artistic. And that is just one example.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Shield
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

chez wrote:
You know what...for someone who does not care what DPR says about DSLR's you spent one hell of a lot of time on that site reviewing what they say about DSLR's.

Because I read each camera's video review pages? *shakes head*

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:15 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Any review is biased. It has to be because it is written by a person (or a group) that is influenced by various factors: Personal experience, knowledge, behaviour, expectation and interest. I would wonder if not half of any review I read the last two decades in any so called "professional" print publications where driven mainly by the fact of selling an advertising page to the manufacturer.

So the best thing we can do is reading a couple of reviews, trying to generate our own opinion, go out and find a way to test out our "favorite" gear and if and how it fits our expectations. If I buy everything that has got a great review somewhere I just have to buy everything.

Reviews and (much more important) the experience of few people I trust (e. g. Roger Cicala, Bryan Carnathan, Keith Cooper, Stefan Rode, Timo Bierbaum and a couple of Members here) AND my own experience told me (FF):

- if I look for the best AF system there is 5D II and 1D X
- if I wish highest resolution there is D800
- if I want the leading available light performance there is 6D
- for best out of camera JPEGs I have to go Canon
- for highest DR I have to choose Nikon
- if I want to have the most excellent service ... etc

After I decided about my needs and my financial capabilities, I go to a shop and hold all those cameras in my hands and check what "feels" best. And after some sleepless nights at least I find a decission.

I would never decide any purchase based on a single review I read anywhere.

Feb 16, 2013 at 09:12 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

DPR reviews are excellent for body specifications, the gold standard.

Feb 17, 2013 at 03:02 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Have to admit, the 6Ds high ISO performance is making me a bit jealous. I love my 5D2 up to and including ISO 3200, but the 6D does look like it would be more solid at high ISO. Pity I am broke at present so am out of the upgrade loop!

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
roberto1979
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Enough said.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:12 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

@roberto1979: the EXIF says Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:34 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

ciprian.trofin wrote:
@roberto1979: the EXIF says Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

I think that's the point.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Yes a single web sized photo with no exif or other information conclusively proves a point..:/

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:23 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

There's a guy here that does fantastic landscapey photos with a 7d. In my eyes, his images blew many of the so-called landscape cameras with a gazillion DR and what not.

I forgot his name unfortunately. He did some misty forest photos with people on it. Come to think of it I see alot more astounding images with the 7d than other cameras. Imagemaster's 7d bird photos are awesome.

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:28 PM
macrobild
• •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Ralph Conway wrote:
Any review is biased. It has to be because it is written by a person (or a group) that is influenced by various factors: Personal experience, knowledge, behaviour, expectation and interest. I would wonder if not half of any review I read the last two decades in any so called "professional" print publications where driven mainly by the fact of selling an advertising page to the manufacturer.

So the best thing we can do is reading a couple of reviews, trying to generate our own opinion, go out and find a way to test out our "favorite" gear and
...Show more

best JPG out from the camera? There are so many parameters when we let Japanese engineers decide what is best for us. In which way are Canons JPG better? Have you gone through all the parameters in terms of color space, profiles ,contrast curves , saturation, hue etc etc. Purely measurable Canon has poorer color reproduction due to their color filters.
Try then the new d600 and let us know what you think about JPG out from the camera and return.

Edited on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

macrobild wrote:
...best JPG out from the camera? There are so many parameters when we let Japanese engineers decide what is best for us. In which way are Canons JPG better?...

Curious to know what you mean by this statement. What does being Japanese have to do with designing software/hardware to produce a JPG?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
macrobild
• •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Nothing, Now the cameras are japanese made and the probability is high that these parameters are written by Japanese software people. There is no negative valuation in this from my side, it could be a Danish or Swedish , What I meant is that I rather myself take care of different motives by choosing my own parameters in RAW and not fixed ones.

And tell other people that Canon ( or Nikon) are best to produce JPG out from the camera and without providing all parameters is not so good idea.
The same with AF, tell me one person who has evaluated the 1dx AF against for example D4 AF ? including all parameters. and shooting situations?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

macrobild wrote:
best JPG out from the camera? There are so many parameters when we let Japanese engineers decide what is best for us. In which way are Canons JPG better? Have you gone through all the parameters in terms of color space, profiles ,contrast curves , saturation, hue etc etc. Purely measurable Canon has poorer color reproduction due to their color filters.
Try then the new d600 and let us know what you think about JPG out from the camera and return.

Sorry I forgot it (this time). Again (and again and again): IN MY OPINION! Of course I decide which way of "japanese engineers JPPEG generating software" works best for ME!

Ralph

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:22 AM
macrobild
• •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

so what do you mean then ? that Canons programmer gives you better JPG out of camera than Nikons ?
And that you have tried the many different settings/parameters in both cameras and compared them ??
I do not follow you

Likewise about AF, tell me one person who have tested the AF against each others where all parameters are included and from different situations.
Its easy to generalize, but some are measurable and can be repeated by others

Edited on Feb 20, 2013 at 07:07 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:53 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

macrobild wrote:
so what do you mean then ? that Canons programmer gives you better JPG out of camera than Nikons ?
And that you have tried the many different settings/parameters in both cameras and compared them ??
I do not follow you

Likewise about AF, tell me one person who have tested the AF against each others with all parameters are included

These are all subjective determinations. There is no one 'best' of anything for all situations or all people. I also like Canon JPG compared to Nikon, though I've certainly never tested every possible combination of settings.

FYI...there are better ways to say you prefer RAW to JPG than making vague references to Japanese engineers not knowing what you like.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:06 PM
macrobild
• •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

" These are all subjective determinations" nice, then we agree

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:08 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

FYI, Roger C. chose the 6D: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-finally

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:23 PM
       9       10       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

9       10       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password