Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Radio Popper with AB's

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Radio Popper with AB's

90% sure I'm going with RP's to trigger my AB/WL. Does anyone have any input regarding the "ease of use" @ PX (menu driven) vs. JRX (knobs) to adjust the AB/WL using the JRX Studio Receivers.

The PX has the added benefit of being able to retain TTL for my 550EX's ... just wondering if others have gotten "frustrated" with the menu adjustment functionality, or is it well conceived.. The TTL functionality isn't uber-critical, so if the menu adjustment for AB/WL is too much of a PITA ... the knobs of JRX could fit the bill to trigger/adjust AB/WL.

Thoughts

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:23 AM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Radio Popper with AB's

I use the RP jrx studio units with my WL-x1600(3), (and 580ex2 via rp cubes). my gripes are that the adjustments have no detents or markings, so returning to a setting has no real positive feedback. the knobs are a bit easy to turn as well, so bumping them is a drag due to the lack of 'positions'.
you'll want a set of back up 123 type batteries that each unit requires.

aside from that, I find them totally reliable. I've never tested the range beyond 20 feet or so.

one day I might add some orings behind the knobs to add some resistance in turning them, but I haven't bothered yet.

the jrx transmitter has no hot shoe lock, if that's important to you.

another note about the transmitter is that the knob adjustment is live (you can see the adjustments in real time via the model lamp) and the transmitter need not be on the hot shoe to make adjustments. so you can use the transmitter to make adjustments without needing it to trigger the flash units in case you need to mix trigger brands for whatever reason. simply set the wl/ab units to trigger via the slave function. keep in mind the cubes don't have any slave function if your mixing in the 550ex as well, you'll need the jrx transmitter mounted in this case.

RPs are the only adjustable units I've ever tried with my WL flash units, so I can't compare them to any others.

hth

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Radio Popper with AB's

Thanks for the insight @ the JRX ... I was wondering about "repeatability" for settings.

I've got a pair of 550EX's, so could I put one 550EX in the shoe and use Canon's IR to trigger the other 550EX (line of sight limitations) and adjust/trigger the AB/WL using the JRX via the PC sync.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:39 AM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Radio Popper with AB's

I don't think the 550ex wireless trigger is actually IR (I could be wrong), and the pre-flash may trigger the ab/wl prematurely.

just a thought.

also- the jrx connection to the ab/wl is not via pc sync, but rather a very short telephone cable (rj11, wall to phone style)

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Radio Popper with AB's

+1 @ not IR (i.e. optical pulse) ... my bad.
+1 @ JRX Studio Receiver-to-AB via RJ11
+1 @ pre-flash would require disabling slave (i.e. insert dummy plug @ jack)

I was referring to camera-to-JRX Transmitter @ PC sync (instead of hot shoe).

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:06 AM
kenyee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Radio Popper with AB's

Rusty: that's actually how quite a few wedding photographers run w/ the JrX. TTL flash on hotshoe or on bracket. JrX transmitter on pc sync port controlling cross lighting and rim lights. Works pretty well from what I've seen. And they don't care about repeatability that much.
For studio use, repeatability is done via your light meter. Twiddle the knobs until your meter reads what you want.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Radio Popper with AB's

kenyee wrote:
Rusty: that's actually how quite a few wedding photographers run w/ the JrX. TTL flash on hotshoe or on bracket. JrX transmitter on pc sync port controlling cross lighting and rim lights. Works pretty well from what I've seen. And they don't care about repeatability that much.

Sounds good ... thanks guys.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:44 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Radio Popper with AB's

RustyBug wrote:
...could I put one 550EX in the shoe and use Canon's IR to trigger the other 550EX...

gpop wrote:
I don't think the 550ex wireless trigger is actually IR..

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ not IR (i.e. optical pulse) ... my bad.

You were right the first time, RustyBug.

Yes, it's the pulse from the flash head that tiggers other lights, but that pulse contains visible, UV, and IR radiation; it's the IR portion that triggers the remote Speedlites. The slave receiver on Speedlites has an IR-passing filter over the sensor to help reject spurious signals, so very little visible light gets through but IR does; that's how the ST-E2 is able to control them, since it emits mostly IR with just a hint of visible deep red.

(If you were to remove the IR filter from an ST-E2 you'd see that it is just a low-power, fixed-head Speedlite in essence.)

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Radio Popper with AB's

Okay, so I was both "right" & "wrong" ... works for me, just as long as it works.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM
bobh665

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Radio Popper with AB's

I have both the JrX Studio and PX systems. I use all JrX in the studio and a combination of PX transmitter and JrX receivers for weddings with my AB's. For weddings I control the power with the AB's sliders. The PX transmitter is very repeatable but to adjust power with them is a real hassle. First you have to hit 2 buttons just right and then you can increase the power by hitting a button through a 32 step range. The problem is if you want to lower the power you have to cycle past the highest setting 32 and then work your way up to where you want. Other than that they have been totally reliable. They work with Canon or Nikon. They just work.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Radio Popper with AB's

Thanks for the perspective at repeatability vs. pita/hassle via the PX. That helps with my decision to start off with the JrX for the AB/WL.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:14 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password