Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · VSCO Film 3

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · VSCO Film 3

amonline wrote:
Yup. It took me forever. The only thing I have to adjust is WB and exposure. (It's set a little on the underexposed side.) Rarely, I'll use another skin "orange" fix and or ISO noise reduction preset, but that's about it now days.

Awesome.

brad

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:26 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · VSCO Film 3

Joel, I simply found a preset that worked the best on most of "my" images from a "general color and exposure" standpoint, and cannibalized it. In my case, it was a Porta 400 preset. I utilized the calibration profile of that preset and completely changed everything else to work with my way of shooting. I customized my basic panel settings and curve; and honestly, it's those two things that really make the major difference. Add your own sharpening settings and you're pretty much done. It's the basic and curve that takes a while to really perfect. The color calibration profile/preset you use will be a personal thing.

Now, I'm not saying my "single" preset works on 100% of my images for all things I shoot, but it does cover 99% of my wedding/engagement shooting. That said, I do use it for about 90% of my personal shooting as well. My son's even using it on his photography course work. (lol)

Hell, I'm not saying my processing is great... it's just "me", I don't think it's outstanding at all. It's just how I view the experience. I came up with a pseudo-film look I liked that I thought was fairly realistic. It works for my location and the general styles of weddings I do in this town. My most recent wedding blog post as of today is this one single preset. (minus the few B&W) I think this is the official first post I've been able to finally use a single preset. If you look at other posts, you'll see that I've been tweaking it for months. It's built off of a Porta preset. I literally only have to adjust WB and exposure/fill. I usually only have to touch the fill on my second's images because she uses different cams. Regardless, I'm finally at a point that I have a one-click starting point that really gets me 95% finished.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:47 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #3 · VSCO Film 3

That's awesome...I need to spend some dedicated time tweaking it. The Portra 400 is the color vsco that I use mostly as well (probably 80% of the time when going the vsco route)...the rest of the time it is Portra 160. Portra 400 is my color film of choice anyway, so it was most natural for me to gravitate to that preset. I have done tweaking, but I need more. If your setting works on 99% of your images, that is incredible (heck...even 80% would be stunning to me). I definitely have some work to do. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #4 · VSCO Film 3

TTLKurtis wrote:
Call me nuts but my clients don't need to know what I'm doing to get the results I'm getting... Nuts and bolts... not something they should know or care about.

I guess blogging about some popular software plugin fits some people's brands and differentiates them.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:59 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.3 #5 · VSCO Film 3

amonline wrote:
I have to agree; and I have to laugh at those that are too proud to understand that VSCO has offered specific calibration conversions for accurate film tones that we'd have to pay huge bucks on our own to achieve. Personally, I use the calibration profiles and tool kit to produce my own results. Even for those that use the default presets, it is childish to put them down for doing so. If they like the results, who friggin' cares? It still took me months to dial in one single preset that works on everything. That personal preset has saved
...Show more
It's not putting down VSCO team.I have a lot of respect for them. I am admiring their marketing ability to charge and make money off clueless photographers who can do it all themselves,but are unwilling to take 1 day off their "busy" schedule to learn Lightroom.
And I am not putting down photographers either, I am just stating the fact.
You can make your own film plugins in LR, if you just dedicate a day to learn how to use the program. It will benefit you in a long run, wouldn't you agree!
And when in a year or two these presets will not be "IN" anymore(and trust me, they will be out of style in a year or two), you can create new ones by yourself and not wait for them to come out again with new "VSCO v2014"
If you think about what I was trying to say, there's a lot of common sense.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.3 #6 · VSCO Film 3

Mark_L wrote:
I guess blogging about some popular software plugin fits some people's brands and differentiates them.

If you have to rely on blogging about plugins,software or your collection of cameras to differentiate yourself, you aren't moving in the right direction.
"Back in the days" we used to differentiate our work with our pictures and products...

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #7 · VSCO Film 3

DmitriM wrote:
It's not putting down VSCO team.I have a lot of respect for them. I am admiring their marketing ability to charge and make money off clueless photographers who can do it all themselves,but are unwilling to take 1 day off their "busy" schedule to learn Lightroom.
You can make your own film plugins in LR, if you just dedicate a day to learn how to use the program. It will benefit you in a long run, wouldn't you agree!

So, for the sake of comparison, let's look at what it would take to create such presets. Let's say I want a fp-100c type preset for my digital workflow since I love that instant stock.

First thing I would need would to have some comparable shots between the sooc camera raw file and the fp-100c print so that I could adjust the raw file to match the look of print. I shoot my fp-100c through a Polaroid 250, which does not have fully manual controls. Plus, the quality of the lens is inferior. So, really...I would need a fully manual bigger format body with a polaroid back that I could make more accurate comparisons with the same shutter/lens settings (more or less...it is obviously going to be different going from a medium format to the 135 format of our standard digital slrs. Thus, I would either need to rent or borrow that (from the huge amount of people that have those to lend out these days). Thankfully, I do know someone locally from whom I can borrow, so let's assume it costs me nothing.

Let's say I shoot a full pack of fp-100c so I have 10 sample images in different settings. That will cost me c. $10 for the film pack. It would likely take me about an hour or so to do the same tests.

Once I get the prints scanned in, I can begin the work. God knows how long it would take me...I imagine that it would take me more than a day. I know LR pretty darn well, and I have made presets before, but I have a feeling this would take me quite a while to get it to the point where it works across all of the images. Depending on how much you think you should be making in a day money wise, take that into account.

Oh, that is just for one...that is not even mentioning the many other stocks and the multiple versions of the same stock where there are different development temps and pull times and such. The costs especially would only be more expensive with the other stocks (fp-100c is the cheapest)

People talk a lot about do what you do well, and pay others to do what you do not do well...that our time is valuable. If I want this preset, I can either spend the money and the time to do it, or I could pay someone else who took the time to do it. For me, I would rather pay a little bit for someone else to do the work. Getting all of these presets cost me a whopping $60.

For me, comparing the time involved...there is no question about which was the better route.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · VSCO Film 3

DmitriM wrote:

You've just shown us you have no clue what they go through to create these profiles. That data is NOT something that just anyone can "learn" and input into LR. You might want to educate yourself on the process they went through to create these profiles and presets.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM
roland hale
• •
p.3 #9 · VSCO Film 3

DmitriM wrote:
quote]
If you have to rely on blogging about plugins,software or your collection of cameras to differentiate yourself, you aren't moving in the right direction.
"Back in the days" we used to differentiate our work with our pictures and products...

How did this thread evolve into demeaning the merits of the photographers who advertise VSCO? Please check out Sara's work, and Sean Flanigan's, and let me know if you honestly think they're successful in business solely because of their promotion of VSCO.

I see countless lens reviews here, yet not objections to those. In essence they're the same thing. Countless photographers, ranging from super successful to amateur, post gear reviews to their wedding blogs. Are these photographers relying on blogging Nikon's latest f/1.4 to differentiate themselves? I don't know - ask Ryan Brenizer.

But gear reviews don't receive the same attacks, as seen here. "Back in the days..." Is it maybe because you don't fully understand VSCO, or that it's tailored to a genre of photographers who are looking to work to pursue something apart from the former "norm" of wedding photography?

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.3 #10 · VSCO Film 3

joelconner wrote:
So, for the sake of comparison, let's look at what it would take to create such presets. Let's say I want a fp-100c type preset for my digital workflow since I love that instant stock.

First thing I would need would to have some comparable shots between the sooc camera raw file and the fp-100c print so that I could adjust the raw file to match the look of print. I shoot my fp-100c through a Polaroid 250, which does not have fully manual controls. Plus, the quality of the lens is inferior. So, really...I would need a fully manual bigger
...Show more

Joel, no offense,but if you knew LR, you'd be able to create all of those presets very fast and there are many other ways to find to get an idea of the look of specific film...

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · VSCO Film 3

Dmitri - the color profiles, however, are pretty handy.

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:47 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · VSCO Film 3

Dude, if you actually read how they created these, you'd realize how dumb you sound. This isn't something you can just "create" from scratch because you "know" LR. There are things being utilized here that you don't have without purchasing the presets. Do some research.

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:50 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.3 #13 · VSCO Film 3

amonline wrote:
You've just shown us you have no clue what they go through to create these profiles. That data is NOT something that just anyone can "learn" and input into LR. You might want to educate yourself on the process they went through to create these profiles and presets.

Before you get angry,aggravated and tell me I know nothing and should shut up, why not just for the sake of the argument spend a day with Lightroom and learn it well. Learn about the colors and how to mix them. If after that, you still think I am full of BS, I'll admit it. What's the worst that could happen,you'll learn something new?

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:56 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.3 #14 · VSCO Film 3

amonline wrote:
Dude, if you actually read how they created these, you'd realize how dumb you sound. This isn't something you can just "create" from scratch because you "know" LR. There are things being utilized here that you don't have without purchasing the presets. Do some research.

Not sure why you feel you have to get down to name calling and can't hold an adult conversation.You aren't 10, so why act like one.
You bought them, you like them, you don't feel like learning anything new -that's FINE. there's no reason to tell anyone they are dumb because they can recreate every preset in a matter of seconds and want you TO TRY TO LEARN how to do.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:05 AM
Littleguy
• •
p.3 #15 · VSCO Film 3

If there are any LR experts that can whip up the same camera profiles in 5 seconds, please feel free to do so and share with us poor uneducated folks.

I am sure there would even be people willing to throw a couple of bucks your way - afterall you would be saving us big bucks from the "overpriced" VSCO products.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:40 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #16 · VSCO Film 3

For the record, you started the name calli g by referring to us as "clueless."

Do you honestly think most of us don't know LR well? I can make film-like presets all day long. What I cannot make are color profiles and setup a that match those of very specific film stocks. Maybe I do suck at LR, but if my inability to produce vsco quality is the evidence of my incompetence, then at least I am not alone.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:41 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · VSCO Film 3

DmitriM wrote:
Before you get angry,aggravated and tell me I know nothing and should shut up, why not just for the sake of the argument spend a day with Lightroom and learn it well. Learn about the colors and how to mix them. If after that, you still think I am full of BS, I'll admit it. What's the worst that could happen,you'll learn something new?

First, I'd challenge you to show me where I "got angry" or told you to "shut up".

This isn't about "mixing colors". I could tell you what else is involved, but you want us to believe you already know. It's not shown by what you've written.

DmitriM wrote:
Not sure why you feel you have to get down to name calling and can't hold an adult conversation.You aren't 10, so why act like one.
You bought them, you like them, you don't feel like learning anything new -that's FINE. there's no reason to tell anyone they are dumb because they can recreate every preset in a matter of seconds and want you TO TRY TO LEARN how to do.

Again, I'd challenge you to show me where I did any "name calling".

If someone here is incapable of conversing like an adult; I assure you, it is not me.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:16 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.3 #18 · VSCO Film 3

Dmitri is just fishing for attention. Ignore his comments, because although he is a very talented photographer, he can be one to stir the pot for the hell of it. Don't feed the troll.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:42 AM
honorerdieu
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · VSCO Film 3

I use VSCO a lot, but those who view my work don't know this fact (unless they are photographer friends who know about these presets). I want to spend more time shooting and creating images than spend hours carefully post process each file. And I know how to tweak in LR4 to get the best out of my work.

A viewer will not care about the effort you put into the creating an image.... what matters is the final results.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:08 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.3 #20 · VSCO Film 3

honorerdieu wrote:
I use VSCO a lot, but those who view my work don't know this fact (unless they are photographer friends who know about these presets). I want to spend more time shooting and creating images than spend hours carefully post process each file. And I know how to tweak in LR4 to get the best out of my work.

A viewer will not care about the effort you put into the creating an image.... what matters is the final results.

+1 well said!

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:14 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password