Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5DM3 initial set up

newtophoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5DM3 initial set up

Hello all, I just received my 5DM3, and was wondering if there was a knowledge base of some sort that someone can refer to me in setting this camera up or what basic settings they liked to use for C1 C2 etc. And I know this is very general question as I didn't list what I liked to shoot, but I'm just getting into photography so nothing specific yet, so anything good for general shooting around the house for now. Thank you,

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Matt Howell

p.1 #2 · 5DM3 initial set up

This is what I do and it might give you an idea how to make use of the C 1-3 settings.

C1. portrait & general, Av mode, f/2, silent shutter, oneshot
C2. sports & action, Tv mode, 1/500, high speed, AI servo, Case 1
C3. manual & video, M mode, 1/50th, f/2.8, silent shutter, oneshot, neutral 0, -4, -2, 0, 1080 24p

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:55 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #3 · 5DM3 initial set up

I use one for landscape settings and one for sports settings. It gives you a way to quickly change some settings based on the type of shooting you are doing without giong into all of the menus to change things up for a particular scenario. .
Andy

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:56 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 5DM3 initial set up

I use the following:

C1 landscape, oneshot, ISO100, f8.

C2. action, AIservo, burst mode ISO800 f4.

C3 star scapes. oneshot, ISO1600, manual mode at 30 seconds f2.8

I also set the mymenu as follows for quick access.

Format cards.
Long exposure NR
exposure bracket
Mirror lock up.

It is worth noting that M and AV will remember the last settings so they have some value for quick settings.

I am not doing action so I have not played with the various action oriented AF cases.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 5DM3 initial set up

I'd have to have it in front of me, especially for overall camera settings. I only shoot manual so only iso, shutter speed, aperture, and AI Servo or One Shot, are ever used.

C1 - this I have set or BIF @ f2 or f2.8, 1/1000th, 100iso, AI Servo.

C2 - 1080p 25p PAL - Phillip Bloom's recommended settings - flat.

C3 - 720p Marvel cinestyle.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:02 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #6 · 5DM3 initial set up

it is worth mentioning that there is a custom function for the C-modes that allows you to automatically save the changes made when you're in those modes. in other words, if you setup C1 as landscape, normally if you shut off the camera any changes you've made will revert when you turn it back on again. goes back to your C1 settings. this custom function means you setup C1, then shoot landscape for a while and make the changes that come naturally to you, and it'll overwrite the C1 settings that you change.

this isn't for everybody, but i found that at first i was constantly changing my C setups, then the camera would turn off, back on, and my changes were all gone. this custom function allowed me to keep the changes until i was satisfied i had them right where i wanted them, and then i turned the cFn off.

again, not for everybody, it's one of those things that depends on how you work/your brain works. but i wanted to mention it because i found it really helpful.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:09 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 5DM3 initial set up

Great tip. I think I know what I want but it is still good to know.

I was reading the manual tonight and found the camera was set to shoot without a card. I don't know if this is default, but I changed it fast.

I also found that I had live focus enabled in C1,2,3 but not in AF or TV. Not sure why but I also changed them as well.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 5DM3 initial set up

ben egbert wrote:
I was reading the manual tonight and found the camera was set to shoot without a card. I don't know if this is default, but I changed it fast.

That is the first thing I set when I get any new body, or get one back from Canon service! I don't want any possibility of accidentally shooting without a card and not realizing it!

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password