Archive 2013 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Siddhu wrote:
@PM01,

Have you tried the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon?

I'm able to get a 90% in focus rate with this lens using my 5D2 and the matt screen, but I'm looking for options for an eventual body upgrade so if the 1DX can give me the same in focus rate using the precision matt screen, I'm tempted to go with it even though I'm not too happy about the size and form factor.

Focusscreen.com has S-type screen for 5d3.

May 05, 2013 at 10:05 AM
PM01

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Haven't tried the 35 1.4 Distagon. I've found that too many of the zeiss lenses have purple halos around them when shooting point sources wide open, aka, astrophotography. Very challenging for any lens.

With the ec-s screen and the 35 1.4, pretty sure your keeper rate with regards to focus will go up. The Leica 50 1.4 E60 R that I'm using is fairly tough to focus with the stock screen. ec-s makes it much easier.

May 05, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

PM01 wrote:
The 1Dx gives you two options. I tried the other one and it proved to be too aggressive. Just leave it at the stock setting and dial in -1/3 compensation.

I don't belive the screen you use is made for the 1DX. The 1DX have a custom setting in the menu for the EC-A,B,D,H,I,L screens

May 05, 2013 at 01:45 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

I use the ZE 35/1.4, and it is one of the easiest of my manual lenses to focus. I use the EG-S screen in my 6D and previously in my 5D2 though. On the 5D3 with AF confirm I had way too many misses, I would have to take three times as many photos to have the same amount of keepers as I do with the matte focus screen.

May 05, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

AhamB wrote:
Do you have the custom function for the focusing screen set to the Ec-S? That will probably remove the need for exposure compensation.

There is no Ec-S or custom function for that screen with the 1DX

May 05, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Siddhu wrote:
@PM01,

Have you tried the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon?

I'm able to get a 90% in focus rate with this lens using my 5D2 and the matt screen, but I'm looking for options for an eventual body upgrade so if the 1DX can give me the same in focus rate using the precision matt screen, I'm tempted to go with it even though I'm not too happy about the size and form factor.

I have used my Zeiss ZE 35/1,4 lens on my 1DX. It works rather good with the standard screen. I would say at least as good or probably a bit better than my 1D4 or 1Ds3 with S-screens

May 05, 2013 at 01:51 PM
PM01

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Correct, which is why I left the setting on the stock and have the camera compensate at -1/3 ev.

May 05, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

PM01 wrote:
Correct, which is why I left the setting on the stock and have the camera compensate at -1/3 ev.

Do You use the Ec-S screen that is made for the other 1 series bodies? I also have that one but I have not tried it in my 1DX

May 05, 2013 at 02:28 PM
PM01

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

I only shoot with the 1 series bodies. If the tab orientation is the same, I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 5D series body.

May 05, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

I also only use the 1 series bodies. But I don't belive it will fit a 5D3. They have never used the same focus screens as the 1 series.

May 06, 2013 at 01:07 AM
PM01

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Wonder if the screen would work in the 5d series if the little tab were clipped off. Should be the same frame size.

May 07, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

PM01 wrote:
Wonder if the screen would work in the 5d series if the little tab were clipped off. Should be the same frame size.

It would probably be better and more easy to use the screens for the 5D2 body (if it's possible to use any).

May 07, 2013 at 09:24 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Great thread Lars!

I don't have the 1DX, but I've always used AF confirm on my TS-E and ZE lenses (I don't use chipped on Alt adapters) when not using LV. I have close to perfect success using the center AF point with 5D2, 1D3, and 1Ds3, MFA as needed with moderate apertures. I shoot a lot of stuff with TS-E hand held, and sometimes at night, where focus confirm is best/fastest way to go.

I use all normal screens and focus confirm off the 1/2 shutter button.

I'm sure you are touting using multiple AF points, but just wanted to support using AF confirm with appropriate manual lenses. Some manual focus users seem averse to using focus confirm -- I've never understood that. I would have loved that feature in old film camera.

To other poster: RF? Seriously? Ha-ha! How many camera systems do you carry around all day? As others have said, RF is completely inappropriate for TS-E and macro applications, two of my favorite types of lenses.

May 07, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

This thread might tempt me back into a Zeiss lens, now I have the 1D X, but which one. 35mm would have been my preference, but Sigma would be my choice now.

May 07, 2013 at 10:40 PM
PM01

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

I went with the Sigma 35 1.4 since the lens is very well corrected. Getting any type of CA / loCA is pretty tough, even wide open. Haven't tried the Zeiss 35 but from the feedback I've been getting from other astrophotographers, you really have to stop the lens down to prevent the purple halo effect, especially on Vega or Sirius. That's the tough test and many lenses that claim "APO" will often fail when I see the purple halo.

May 08, 2013 at 01:22 AM
isaacimage
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Quick question :
Have anyone tried Ec-A, Ec-B or Ec-s focusing screens on 1dx ?
which one you prefer and why ?
Tanx

Feb 08, 2014 at 07:56 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Anyone ?

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

vaflower wrote:
1dx +manual focus ? seriously ? If I want manual focus, I would rather shoot rangefinder.

I assume this is meant as a joke?

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

Ok I have a 1D X and a 5D Mark III and use three lenses that require manual focus. The Zeiss 21mm f/2.8, the Zeiss 100mm f/2 macro and my TS-E 24mm f/3.5L. On the 5D III its more than a simple green light to mark and beep that confirms focus. The focus point itself actually lights up on the intended target. The 1D X uses the green viewfinder light and beep. I also use MF for both my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS and EF 180mm f/3.5L macros all the time. On the macros I do use Live view quite a bit as well.

Also I know there is the Ec-S focus screen but I thought for MF the Ec-B was the recommended one on the 1D X and the Ec-S works but is not properly compensated for, by that I mean things appear brighter they say.

Finally I use back button focus so I just hold it down until I hear the beep for focus confirmation.

Feb 16, 2014 at 05:35 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses

swldstn wrote:
Ok I have a 1D X and a 5D Mark III and use three lenses that require manual focus. The Zeiss 21mm f/2.8, the Zeiss 100mm f/2 macro and my TS-E 24mm f/3.5L. On the 5D III its more than a simple green light to mark and beep that confirms focus. The focus point itself actually lights up on the intended target. The 1D X uses the green viewfinder light and beep. I also use MF for both my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS and EF 180mm f/3.5L macros all the time. On the macros I do use Live view quite
...Show more

Yeah, I know this to, but thank you anyway for the info.

Feb 16, 2014 at 06:24 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.