Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2013 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses
  
 
Lars Johnsson
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


After using my Canon 1DX body with Zeiss lenses seven weeks now. I can say that the MF when only using the focus indicator in the viewfinder is a huge improvement. The focus is a lot more accurate. And I will also get the right focus much faster than before. Just because it's much easier to get the focus spot on. Even when using a difficult lens like my 35/1,4 wide open.
I have only used the original focus screen also. In all my other Canon bodies I have the S focus screen. But the original when using an 1DX is better than those other bodies with the S screen.



Feb 12, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


I can confirm all this, except the S screen part.

With the 5D2 and 7D I had to use live view every time focusing was at all important. Canīt remember when I used LW since I got the 5D3 end May. Possibly end May. Does the 1DX even have LW? Never tried, never needed. Game changers!



Feb 12, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Mike K
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


Lars Johnsson wrote:
After using my Canon 1DX body with Zeiss lenses seven weeks now. I can say that the MF when only using the focus indicator in the viewfinder is a huge improvement. The focus is a lot more accurate.


By "focus indicator" do you mean focus confirm?
Focus confirm is a phase detect focus using the normal AF array, and thus its focus accuracy (as opposed to precision) is highly dependent upon your individual cameras micro adjust set up for each lens. The default MA settings match well for your Zeiss lenses?



Feb 12, 2013 at 07:56 PM
rscheffler
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


It's what others, such as Philippe (philber) stated about the 5DIII. Considering the 5DIII's AF system is a derivative of the 1DX's, it makes sense it too is an improvement. The big difference between the two would seem to be the ability to change the focusing screen in the 1DX, but I would agree with Lars, that I find the standard 1DX screen quite adequate for manual focusing purposes. I haven't yet felt the need to install the Ec-S screen (though I also don't do a lot of manual focus work with the 1DX).


Feb 12, 2013 at 08:46 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


I haven't bothered to AFMA any of my lenses for my 1DX. I did most of them on my 1DsIII and 1DIV. I'm fine with the standard 1DX screen for Zeiss and other Alt manual focus lenses, although, I most often use them with LiveView on a tripod.


Feb 12, 2013 at 09:27 PM
vaflower
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


1dx +manual focus ? seriously ? If I want manual focus, I would rather shoot rangefinder.


Feb 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM
LightShow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


vaflower wrote:
1dx +manual focus ? seriously ? If I want manual focus, I would rather shoot rangefinder.

And not everyone likes a RF, I shot a ton of pictures on my 1DIII with manual lenses, feels great in the hand.



Feb 12, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Lars Johnsson
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


Mike K wrote:
By "focus indicator" do you mean focus confirm?
Focus confirm is a phase detect focus using the normal AF array, and thus its focus accuracy (as opposed to precision) is highly dependent upon your individual cameras micro adjust set up for each lens. The default MA settings match well for your Zeiss lenses?


I mean the beep and light you get in the viewfinder when doing MF. It's more accurate and easy to do with this body when comparing against all the other older Canon bodies. Even comparing against 1Ds3 or 1D4 bodies



Feb 13, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Lars Johnsson
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


rscheffler wrote:
It's what others, such as Philippe (philber) stated about the 5DIII. Considering the 5DIII's AF system is a derivative of the 1DX's, it makes sense it too is an improvement. The big difference between the two would seem to be the ability to change the focusing screen in the 1DX, but I would agree with Lars, that I find the standard 1DX screen quite adequate for manual focusing purposes. I haven't yet felt the need to install the Ec-S screen (though I also don't do a lot of manual focus work with the 1DX).


I have not tried the Ec-S screen yet. I suppose the S screen that I own will fit this body like all the other 1 series bodies. I own it and have used it a lot in all my other cameras



Feb 13, 2013 at 03:21 AM
Lars Johnsson
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


vaflower wrote:
1dx +manual focus ? seriously ? If I want manual focus, I would rather shoot rangefinder.


So you think I should bring a rangefinder every time I like to take a MF shot And will the rangefinder work with my Zeiss ZE lenses Some of my Canon lenses like the TS-E 17 and TS-e 24II only have MF also. What rangefinder do you recommend for those MF lenses?



Feb 13, 2013 at 03:26 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Lars Johnsson
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


jcolwell wrote:
I haven't bothered to AFMA any of my lenses for my 1DX. I did most of them on my 1DsIII and 1DIV. I'm fine with the standard 1DX screen for Zeiss and other Alt manual focus lenses, although, I most often use them with LiveView on a tripod.


I also use tripod and Live View most of the time. But sometimes I also use those lenses for people or street shooting.



Feb 13, 2013 at 03:31 AM
Z250SA
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


vaflower wrote:
1dx +manual focus ? seriously ? If I want manual focus, I would rather shoot rangefinder.


Know what you mean. That thought bugged me for a few days until I realized that the new AF was incredibly accurate letting me focus confirm focus even on BIF successfully. LW on BIF was no success

Furthermore I donīt _want_ manual focus, I want Zeiss IQ. As every lens I use except the 400TAT is MF, the accurate focus confirm is a huge step forward.

I would love RF for the size, but I suspect that the 1DX just might be slightly more durable than the Leica M9.



Feb 13, 2013 at 07:37 AM
twoeye
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


So the focus confirm with the 1DX and 5D MkIII is a lot more accurate than with the 5D MkII.

What about the 6D?
Anyone with any experience and opinions on focus confirm accuracy of the 6D vs. 5D MkII /MkIII?



Feb 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


Lars Johnsson wrote:
I also use tripod and Live View most of the time. But sometimes I also use those lenses for people or street shooting.


Me too, although I prefer using the X100 or X-Pro 1 for street shooting, if I have one with me.



Feb 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
LightShow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


I believe the 6 is based off of the 7 so it should be better than the 5DII but not as good as 1DX & 5DIII.


Feb 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


Oh, I forgot to mention, I don't use focus confirmation chips with any of my Alt lenses; it's visual focus through the finder for handheld, and LiveView on a tripod. The only ZE lens that I currently have is the 18/3.5, and I've never thought to check focus confirmation light in the finder. Just checked. It seems to work fine, of course, but it's a bit weird holding down the AF-ON button for a MF lens.


Feb 13, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Lars Johnsson
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


I use either Live View or Focus Confirmation with all my alt lenses. And you don't have to use the AF-on button. Just use the shutter button


Feb 13, 2013 at 01:32 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


Lars Johnsson wrote:
... Just use the shutter button


Nope. My shutter is for metering only.



Feb 13, 2013 at 03:23 PM
vaflower
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


Z250SA wrote:
Know what you mean. That thought bugged me for a few days until I realized that the new AF was incredibly accurate letting me focus confirm focus even on BIF successfully. LW on BIF was no success

Furthermore I donīt _want_ manual focus, I want Zeiss IQ. As every lens I use except the 400TAT is MF, the accurate focus confirm is a huge step forward.

I would love RF for the size, but I suspect that the 1DX just might be slightly more durable than the Leica M9.


I shoot with 5dmkiii and Leica M6. Whenever I want to shoot manually, I go with rangefinder system because it is made for shooting manually.

I now have some Zeiss ZM glasses 21, 35, 50 and they are as good as ZE glasses I owned before. The Zeiss microcontrast signature is still there at much more manageable size. I had a huge ergonomic issue with shooting manually with Zeiss glasses on a big Canon DSLR before. It is just awkward to shoot on a fly and people are just appalled when you point the thing at them.

The whole thing is just huge and that is with 5dmk ii. I can't imagine how can I go on shooting street with the beastly 1dX and Zeiss 21 Distagon.

Honestly since 1Dx is not exactly a bargain camera here so finance is probably not a constraint to move to a M system. I bet some of you here will eventually realize that and make a move. 1DX is a great camera but it is not born for manual shooting.



Feb 13, 2013 at 03:54 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Canon 1DX and Zeiss lenses


vaflower wrote:
... 1DX is a great camera but it is not born for manual shooting.


Agreed, that's why I also have a 5DII, X100, and X-Pro 1.



Feb 13, 2013 at 04:04 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password