Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

nalax

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

OTOH, moving to NM will lower the 11 to perhaps -5? I'm just thinking of the future photo possibilities

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Re early -- yes I guess I should order the lens to arrive one week early instead of one day early? At least at lensrentals they did advertise it as guaranteed Monday, I needed it Tuesday morning. Granted I have no idea of LR's contract terms with FedEx.

Re delays-- normally I would not care as one cannot control the weather. However their weather claim is completely a lie.

I live in Shreveport LA. The hub is in Bossier City, literally right over a river a few miles away. We have the same weather. The package actually arrived in Bossier on Saturday. No jet delay. On truck all day Monday with only very light rain in both cities (in fact I work in Bossier and was there in the morning. There was NO weather cause for delay). THAT is the cause for 11.

Re NM : yes that will help. I have been trying to get stationed out west for two years and finally got a job somewhere close enough .

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:02 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #3 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

If you get mad when an issue arises with any shipping carrier, you will have none to use eventually.

I once watched a USPS Express mail van drove by, put something in my mailbox and left to find out that a notice was left because no one was home for delivery.

I once, on my way out, asked a FedEx delivery guy in the parking lot if he had any package for my place. He said no. I came back to find out that he left it in front of my door.

I once got $30 extra service charge on UPS account because their "automatic laser measurement" read my 15"x12"x11" package (for a digital camera) as 29"x12"x11". I called to ask and was still told that it's measured with a precision tool. I told that I only shipped a digital camera and got a response saying that it could be big with the cushion and everything. I had to convince them that it's almost as long as my coffee table.

That said, there is no perfect carrier, but one may be probe to problems than the others. Per my experiences, USPS is the one that is the most inconsistent. I still use them, but only for something that I don't really need to rely on that much.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.2 #4 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

I feel your pain cputeq. In this case you do have the Lens Rentals agreement to fall back on and you're in good shape in that regard. Their customer service is excellent.

I've shipped hundreds of packages via USPS and have never been disappointed in the service. The USPS is not great at handling exceptions but they are reliable and simple to use. FedEx is cheap. My business uses FedEx. Personally I use the US Postal Service.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:45 PM
mikeinctown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

FedEx is by far the best carrier I have ever dealt with, and I'm the guy who ships packages at work, and has been for the last 16 years. (one of my many jobs)

The problem is that the OP thinks that the truck is only delivering to his street. the trucks are loaded in such a way that the route the driver takes determines how the truck is loaded and in what order the packages are loaded, so that they can be easily found at each stop. If the truck was going through an area they couldn't deliver to, then their whole system would be FUBAR and the guy would be spending 5x as long to sort through everything. Likewise, the truck is stacked full of packages and you want someone to sift through the truck for your box, most likely destroying the entire sort system they have in the truck in order to get to your package.

FWIW my 5D2 arrived back from CPS yesterday, (didn't even know it was supposed to arrive because I never got a tracking #) a door tag was placed on my door and it was waiting for me at the FedEx call center right after work. Not one corner on the box had the slightest amount of damage. Compare that to UPS and USPS which seemingly are able to half crush a box in shipment most times.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:00 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

@wahoowa yes I realize that which is why I give them the benefit of the doubt most times. I mean nobody is perfect. But when you have a company apparently lie to you it is pretty maddening.

Now one tidbit the nice gal at the local pickup destination said " if my drivers are over their allotted time they won't deliver the package and 'weather' is the system fallback." So just maybe that is the case here. The box was flagged delayed at 732PM, I dunno. I have certainly had them deliver later before And it is not like I live in BFE.

So yeah, first world problems eh?

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:04 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

@mikeintown -- c'mon I am not that naive. I know how the system works. I realize I am not the center of the universe. But if you place a package in a truck in the morning, with signature required and you flag it as will be delivered that day, you deliver the damn package.

Speaking of the logistics. I actually worked with a genius of a Captain that had designed the Air Force's logistics system for Materiel Command. (FYI they ship A. Lot. Of stuff via multiple carriers)
FedEx was actually trying to snipe him from the USAF starting at $400,000 a year. Crazily enough he is finishing out his enlistment first. He showed me the back-end of the database. Mind was blown. USAF made him sign a 1-year NDA after they implemented it.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:10 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.2 #8 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

So what you are trying to say is that the driver who worked from 7am that morning until 8pm that night, and because of the delays he had during the day couldn't get to you, you are screaming mad.

No offense, but if you knew you were moving, you might not have wanted to wait until past the very last minute to rent a lens to shoot your home with. It could be worse.. a lot worse.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:16 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.2 #9 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

mikeinctown wrote:
No offense, but if you knew you were moving, you might not have wanted to wait until past the very last minute to rent a lens to shoot your home with. It could be worse.. a lot worse.

I have to admit that as soon as I read the original post I was thinking that if that was me my wife would be on me for waiting till the last minute to do something.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Sorry for your stress, cputeq! I know I get excited and anticipate the arrival, and make plans for the day around the expected delivery time. It's always a letdown if those plans go awry.

Here's my boring response: I've had overall great results from the three major budget carriers: USPS Priority Mail (my #1 choice), Fed Ex Ground (#2) and UPS Ground (basically tied for #2, but slightly less convenient location). I'm in the radius of a major metropolitan hub for all three, here in Los Angeles, so service is great. I've shipped hundreds of packages with no loss. There has been one that went astray for a couple weeks from USPS (wrong zip entered at post office), and several boxes with severe damage from Fed Ex (but contents were okay). That's about it for over ten years. I love the tracking of all three carriers and find them all very accurate. I'm sure there are exceptions and damages, but my results are essentially 100% for items I've packaged and shipped. (Slightly less for poorly packed items sent to me.)

Looking forward to your 17mm photos!

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike1.6
• • •
p.2 #11 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

mikeinctown wrote:
FedEx is by far the best carrier I have ever dealt with, and I'm the guy who ships packages at work, and has been for the last 16 years. (one of my many jobs)

I ship packages in my business as well Mike. At least a dozen a week. All over the world. We use FedEx because of the cost, not the service. Experiences differ, I grant you that, but I've never had a bad one with the USPS. For example, I had a person ship me a 400mm f/5.6L lens in no other packaging than the original lens box. He had taped the ends and put a fragile sticker on it! The box looked okay except for a a couple of dinged corners. That package was never meant to serve as a shpper. Despite my worst fears, the lens was fine.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:52 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

mikeinctown wrote:
So what you are trying to say is that the driver who worked from 7am that morning until 8pm that night, and because of the delays he had during the day couldn't get to you, you are screaming mad.

I guess we have differing ideas of "last minute" then. I specifically allowed Monday delivery to start for Tuesday shots. That's fine if a delay is within reason. Its the fact the package wasn't delivered even though it sat in town sit Saturday which is the problem, especially when I know both UPS and FedEx have delivered later than that (once at 9 PM!), then I'm treated with some pretty rude customer service about it (except the 2nd lady who was nice).

It was a rant, so I cannot claim all of my angst was grounded in firm logic. However, here I sit awaiting FedEx to complete their "Hold At Location" for the package and it's almost noon of Day 2.

Lesson learned, that's for sure.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:25 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.2 #13 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Count your blessings, not the inconveniences and pitfalls of everyday life. Plan the best you can, but expect your share of problems. You aren't alone.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:29 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

well, in your weather analysis, did you happen to call up Aviation Weather for the departure, route, and arrival station, and look at it in real-time? Did you in your analysis happen to look up the departure, route and arrival Wx for the departure of the A/C from the station from which it came to get to the station from which your lens was to have shipped? If not, your analysis of "Oh, I'm looking outside right now and it's (whatever it is) and I checked with the Weather Channel, now that's a really great source for real-time aviation Wx (NOT), well, your analysis just plain sucks And I haven't even mentioned "ground delays" because of Wx. Sheesh.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:17 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

To clarify. -- there were 0 jets in this equation. The package was placed "on truck for delivery" Saturday then placed on hold till next business day. No big deal.

Monday rolls around, in truck for delivery status for 12 hours from a departure point I am intimately familiar with because I was there that morning. Weather delay cited as reason for non delivery. Rude 1-800 FedEx woman says I will be able to pick it up at 0700 next day. Destination lady says no way that will happen.

Lens now awaiting pickup. Crisis averted. Angst gone. Lesson learned.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:15 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

Clarification helps.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

So the delivery was a day late? Everyone knows that delays occur occasionally in shipping. It's not like they lost the package.

If you need something urgently, then FedEx Custom Critical or similar door-to-door service is the way to go. Otherwise, allow an extra day in such cases. Don't blow a 50-amp fuse. To quote another song...

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

EBH

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:21 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

EB-1 wrote:
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time - I think I've forgotten this before.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:02 AM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2 #19 · Anger just reached 11 (rant)

JL thanks for starting a great thread "do you feel better?"
I too have to side with FedEx for 2 reasons. They are generally always cheaper on ground shipping and they honor insurance claims. The ground and the home can be a pain in the rear. If your selling anything on Ebay and you use FedEX you better find out if it is a business or a home. I sent a ball head to a guy and the FedEx Home truck stopped 3 days in a row in front of the business and never went in the door and never left a notice yet the tracking indicated no one was home. I have a great UPS driver who has had my route for 15yrs (except for his 1yr hiatus for a small indiscretion involving a local business owners wife-husband had him thrown off the route) The FedEx drivers all seem to change.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password