Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · which camera body would you buy

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · which camera body would you buy

Hello,

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1d series camera for fast moving targets. In my area, I've found two that are comparably priced. The first has ~40k actuations. The second just had it's shutter replaced because it was nearing it's limit.

I've read on here and other places that replacing the shutter is like getting a new camera. If that's the case, am I better off going with the one that just had it's shutter replaced? My instinct tells me that I may be better off with the first one since it has seen much less use over it's lifetime. Although the shutter can be said to be the only moving part of the camera, the other electronics and components I'm sure do also wear.

Thoughts?

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:15 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · which camera body would you buy

Your call - which one seems right to you? Low use is always a good thing.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:20 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · which camera body would you buy

Hard to say without more information. Which model of 1D-series body are you talking about? Do both cameras have about the same exterior appearance? Any signs of dings and dents? Scratches, paint loss, bag wear? Does looking through the finder on the low milage model look any cleaner than the older one? Can you get a close look at the sensors on both cameras? Take test shots?

~40k shutter actuations is nothing for a 1D-series body. OTOH, the shutter could fail at ~41k actuations.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:21 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #4 · which camera body would you buy

Thanks. It's a 1D3. Both cameras exterior look to be the same so my question is more centered around mechanical wear of a camera besides the shutter. I haven't played with them in person yet.

For example, I've played with some well used cameras where the shutter button just doesn't have the spongy feel that a less used camera has.

I'm leaning towards the one w/o shutter replacement.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · which camera body would you buy

bigbluebear wrote:
...I'm leaning towards the one w/o shutter replacement.

As Paul said, low use is a good thing. I just wondered about other factors. All things being equal, I'd lean towards the low snapper, too.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:26 AM
ggreene
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · which camera body would you buy

I would take the one with lower use but as jcolwell said there is no predicting when a shutter will fail. There have been people who say they've gotten 300-400K on a body and others that had it die in under 10K.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · which camera body would you buy

I'd be leaning toward the low-mileage unit. There are other moving parts and areas of wear and abrasion that affect the functioning. Small things matter too -- like the viewfinder rubber eye piece, battery(ies), etc.

If and when the shutter needs replacing, it's not disastrously expensive, and then you'd have an even newer-newer camera than one with a new shutter and 200k (or whatever number) actuations.

Now, if the unit with the new shutter has under 100k total on the body, I'd go with that! That's still a pretty fresh piece.

I bought a 1D2 with 115k actuations, and was on its second shutter, from about 40k on. It had some problem or needed clean/check, and CPS replaced the shutter for me at no charge (thank you, Canon!), and I shot it for about 20k before selling. That was a very nice camera and I'd have no regret buying it again.

You really need to examine them and talk to the owner to make your decision. Either one may still need a trip to Canon due to occasional AF hiccups, so keep that in mind with the 1D3 model -- usually it's free, if a problem is found.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password