Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · How would you print this picture?

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How would you print this picture?

I posted this image on landscapes forum, it received a warm welcome. I tried to print it and found out, it is really difficult to make it pop in print.
So If you print this picture yourself, how would you process it to make it pop---bringing out the dramas of the clouds....---- in print as on monitor?

NIKON D800E    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0 lens    52mm    f/13.0    1/25s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · How would you print this picture?

What lighting conditions are you viewing the print in? Are you "lighting" the print, or just viewing it in ambient?

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:28 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · How would you print this picture?

RustyBug wrote:
What lighting conditions are you viewing the print in? Are you "lighting" the print, or just viewing it in ambient?

I have a picture lamp.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:33 PM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · How would you print this picture?

I find the mat and framing very distracting, could you post just the image?

Have you thought of a canvas wrap or some other means of mounting it so that it stands by itself? Certainly without the gold trim and with a less white mat. A bright white mat will dull anything inside it.

Brian A

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:33 PM
flieshmanbiker

p.1 #5 · How would you print this picture?

Try a metallic based paper.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:49 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · How would you print this picture?

hugowolf wrote:
I find the mat and framing very distracting, could you post just the image?

Have you thought of a canvas wrap or some other means of mounting it so that it stands by itself? Certainly without the gold trim and with a less white mat. A bright white mat will dull anything inside it.

Brian A

Here no frame

NIKON D800E    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0 lens    52mm    f/13.0    1/25s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:33 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · How would you print this picture?

flieshmanbiker wrote:
Try a metallic based paper.

I am planning to print the final one on metallic paper, but the proofs have been on glossy ones.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · How would you print this picture?

Hi Robert,

for print:
Definitly increase the contrast, bump up the blacks & whites a little.

Are you use the correct paper profiles? Additionally, sharpen it

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:38 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #9 · How would you print this picture?

On screen it already doesn't have much contrast (on mine anyway) and you will loose even more printing it. Have you proofed it for printing or are you just firing it off as edited for screen to print?

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:50 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · How would you print this picture?

Sunny Sra wrote:
Hi Robert,

for print:
Definitly increase the contrast, bump up the blacks & whites a little.

Are you use the correct paper profiles? Additionally, sharpen it

you are right. I love the process of printing. I print all myself for many years.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · How would you print this picture?

time2clmb wrote:
On screen it already doesn't have much contrast (on mine anyway) and you will loose even more printing it. Have you proofed it for printing or are you just firing it off as edited for screen to print?

I proof printed 3 times 6x10" No way I would print 16x24" if it looks like that

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Sam tran
• • •
p.1 #12 · How would you print this picture?

I would print it in BW after increasing the contrast.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:17 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · How would you print this picture?

Sam tran wrote:
I would print it in BW after increasing the contrast.

.That is an idea, let's see how it would look

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · How would you print this picture?

I think you need to go a LOT further with your color and tonal correction before you even consider making a test print. The image you've posted has a lot of potential, but it's really flat and lifeless at this point. Also, you've posted an Adobe RGB image, which will look even flatter to anyone viewing with Chrome. Better to stick with sRGB for web viewing in general.

I would also ask how you've handled your monitor calibration. It might be partially to blame if your screen is uber bright and you're going strictly by how the image looks and not setting precise pixel values.

Here's a quick stab I took at it. It's coming to life a lot more, primarily through a series of curves adjustment layers and some hi radius low amount USM.

The black and white version you posted is less inviting than the color. Again, it could work that way with enough massaging.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · How would you print this picture?

+1 @ Peter

A little challenging to get smooth transitions from such small of an image, but you get the gist ... i.e. it will require selective massaging.

As always, S&P to taste.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:29 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · How would you print this picture?

Peter and Rusty
Great work. You guys managed to bring out the wonderful colors, dramatizing the whole scene by increasing the contrast.
That said, comparing with the original, one see the lost of the mystics that the fog inspires. The entire layer of fog was lost in the process of enhancing the colors and the contrast.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · How would you print this picture?

nugeny wrote:
how would you process it to make it pop---bringing out the dramas of the clouds

Thanks ... well, that is what you asked for.

Kinda tough to have mystic fog (diffuse/low contrast) and dramatic (high contrast) clouds simultaneously in the same portion of an image. I'm sure with your vast experience (and the benefit of the original file to work from) you can do it to get it just the way you want it. With sufficient massaging, it just takes a bit of time depending on how much effort you want to put toward it.

These were mostly to illustrate the realm of possibilities ... not that we'd ever be able to exact your vision.

As always, S&P to taste.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · How would you print this picture?

Foggy, overcast images are not exactly meant to pop. I would just bring up the exposure a bit and lighten the shadows a tad. As pointed out, it should definitely have a dark mat.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #19 · How would you print this picture?

"So If you print this picture yourself, how would you process it to make it pop---bringing out the dramas of the clouds..."

At least according to the original post in this thread, the photographer WAS looking for ways to make this image pop. It's all subjective, but if you want it to pop, it has to pop, and then you might give up on some of the low hanging fog, if it was ever really there in the first place.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:52 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · How would you print this picture?

For a while, I lke most others pick the mate to match the picture in colors. But I left this way of framing years ago. Vanilla mate is till the best.

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password