Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Allan Bruce
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

I am thinking about trading in my 7D and EF-S lenses and going full-frame. My main reason is that I used to be mainly into bird photography where I was focal length limited. Now I find myself shooting birds <10% so the reach of the 7D plus 400mm is not required as much. I now shoot a lot of family shots and tourist shots. I was thinking about the following situations

Trade/Sell the 7D, 17-55 f/2.8IS, Sigma 10-20mm for either

- 5DIII and use full frame primes that I already have (28/50/85 1.8 versions)
- 5DII + Tamron 24-70 VC

If I were to go with the first option then I would have to put up some cash too, but I would be able to (hopefully) use the 5D with my 400/5.6 + 1.4 TC and still get AF since Canon are releasing an update with AF up to f/8. I would be getting the advantage of the new AF which should be good when I do still go birding

If I were to go with the second option, I would not have to put in so much money (if at all if I sell the 10-20?) and I get the advantage of a 'walkaround' lens that would be a similar match to the 7D+17-55IS combo. However I would be missing out in some reach as I wouldn't be able to use the 400+1.4 TC.

What do others think? My preference would be for the first option if it didn't require too much money to start and then I would add a walkaround lens within the year.

My 7D and lenses are in mint condition with very little use so I would likely get pretty good prices for them.

Cheers
Allan

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:12 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #2 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Realistically what is your budget, and what do you suppose you could sell your current gear for? I think the 17-55 will net you about $700, not sure on the others. Usually when someone says they have to throw in some money it means they really don't want to...or the wife says they can't. I'd agree the 5diii would be better for wildlife but that doesn't mean you couldn't get away with the 5dii. Just have to accept some of its af limitations. I own and love the tamron 24-70, but since you have a nice set of primes, maybe the 24-105 would be better, longer reach for travel and the primes you can use indoors/low light. Heck even f4 on ff is more than enough for most situations (especially family pics) you just can't be shy to crank the iso. Any consideration of the 6d? By and large it's a better camera, IMHO, than the 5dii, but the later is such a steal right now it's hard to argue against it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #3 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

At this stage I wouldn't want to put more than an extra 400 into the 5D purchase. I had thought about the 24-105 but the Tammy seems to be a touch cheaper and I like the idea of VC over the extra zoom range. At this moment in time, I am not considering the 6D due to the AF which I believe is a touch below the 5DII

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

^ That's a good suggestion. OP can try out FF with the modestly priced 5dc while keeping the 7d too.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Welcome to the world of thinking about switch to full frame. It appears from your profile that you enjoy Macro and would like to keep your 400mm for birding. For roughly $500, buying used equipment, you should be able to make the switch and get the 5DIII and a 24-70 for walk around and still keep your Macro, 50mm, 85mm, and 400mm. Please do not get upset at the prices listed below, they are just approximates and may not reflect what you can actually buy/sell the equipment.

My thinking...

Canon EOS 7D $850
Canon EOS 400D $400
Keep Canon 400mm f/5.6L
Sell Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG APO IF HSM $650
Keep Sigma 150mm f/2.8 APO Macro DG
Keep Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
Sell Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS $700
Keep Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
Sell Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX $450
Sell Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM $400
------
$3450

Buy 5dIII used $2700
Buy a 24-70 used $1250
------
$3950

Good luck with your switch.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

I like Wobble's plan. I believe you will be much happier with the 5DIII and never look back, it was a significant step up from the 7D for me. I use the 5DIII with the 100-400 lens and am also looking forward to the F8 focusing upgrade, so I can match it with the 1.4X III in better light.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Allan Bruce wrote:
At this stage I wouldn't want to put more than an extra 400 into the 5D purchase. I had thought about the 24-105 but the Tammy seems to be a touch cheaper and I like the idea of VC over the extra zoom range. At this moment in time, I am not considering the 6D due to the AF which I believe is a touch below the 5DII

Allan I'm surprised you say that about the 6D AF . As far as I can tell from all the reviews and forum postings the 6D has a much better AF system than the old 5D/5D2 system . That system may have the extra points but they are only for servo mode. The 6D has a much better low light AF and the outer points seem to be much more reliable .

If it was me (I'm not looking to go ff ) I think the first on my list would be the 5D3 and then the 6D . Looking around I see you can get a 6D for around the 1300 point (digital rev import is 1280 ) . A good 2nd hand 5D2 will be about 1000 so I'd rather pay the extra 300 .

The way I look at it is I'd rather have the 7D/17-55 combo I already have over a 5D2/24-105 combo . And I was quite dissapointed to see the very expensive 24-70/4 L didn't perform that well either . If it was a great performer to justify its price then I think loosing a stop (for the slower lens ) but gaining a over a stop with a 5D3 or 6D could be justifiable . But as it is the extra cost probably isn't

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:45 PM
sleibrand
• • •
p.1 #8 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

For family and travel photos the 7D and 17-55 gives excellent results in a lot of the typical scenarios.

So what are you wanting that the 7D doesn't give you? I think once you have specifics for that it'll help drive where to go next.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:51 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #9 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Allan I'm surprised you say that about the 6D AF . As far as I can tell from all the reviews and forum postings the 6D has a much better AF system than the old 5D/5D2 system . That system may have the extra points but they are only for servo mode. The 6D has a much better low light AF and the outer points seem to be much more reliable .

If it was me (I'm not looking to go ff ) I think the first on my list would be the 5D3 and then the 6D . Looking around
...Show more

I guess I'm just not so convinced with the 5d2/6d option which means I've probably made up my mind on which option is more suited to me. I was disappointed to hear that the 24-70 IS wasn't that hot either, hence the preference for the Tammy. I do love the 17-55 Is and I think the tammy is the closest lens to it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #10 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

sleibrand wrote:
For family and travel photos the 7D and 17-55 gives excellent results in a lot of the typical scenarios.

So what are you wanting that the 7D doesn't give you? I think once you have specifics for that it'll help drive where to go next.

The7d/17-55 combo is great but when I go for more arty shots I find myself reaching for the f/1.8 primes. the 7D just isn't making the most of these so I want to try full frame and hopefully get the most out of the primes.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #11 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Wobble wrote:
Welcome to the world of thinking about switch to full frame. It appears from your profile that you enjoy Macro and would like to keep your 400mm for birding. For roughly $500, buying used equipment, you should be able to make the switch and get the 5DIII and a 24-70 for walk around and still keep your Macro, 50mm, 85mm, and 400mm. Please do not get upset at the prices listed below, they are just approximates and may not reflect what you can actually buy/sell the equipment.

My thinking...

Canon EOS 7D
...Show more

That is quite tempting but there are two pieces of equipment I would like to keep: the 400d as a backup/compact option (it is a nice travel camera teamed up with the light 18-55 IS II). I so want to keep the Sigma 100-3000 as it is an amazing lens. I don't use it often but when I do, I get great shots. I doubt I'd ever get rid of this lens and I'm looking forward to trying it out on FF :-D

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:41 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #12 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Allan Bruce wrote:
That is quite tempting but there are two pieces of equipment I would like to keep: the 400d as a backup/compact option (it is a nice travel camera teamed up with the light 18-55 IS II). I so want to keep the Sigma 100-3000 as it is an amazing lens. I don't use it often but when I do, I get great shots. I doubt I'd ever get rid of this lens and I'm looking forward to trying it out on FF :-D

I would still choose the 5DIII with your primes and others over the 5DII and 24-70. You have enough lenses to take great advantage of the 5DIII. It should provide better autofocus with your F1.8 primes (it provided much improved autofocus on my 35 1.4 and 85 1.2 over the 5DII) and especially the 400 5.6 (we'll have to see about the 560 f8 with the TC in the near future).
Steve

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

I had a 7D, and a 5D II; I have a 5D III now. My opinion is that your basic idea of switching to full-frame is well justified. When I was trying to sell either the 7D or 5D II to a friend, we did some comparisons, shooting the same subject with the same lens at the same aperture on both cameras. After just a cursory glance at the CR2s, she dismissed the 7D, and it was obvious why; there's just no comparison in IQ. They may be in the same ball park, but not in the same league.

I also have the Tamron 24-70, and it's pretty good, but for times when the flexibility of a zoom isn't paramount, good primes seem a bit better.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:41 AM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #14 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Ernie Aubert wrote:
I had a 7D, and a 5D II; I have a 5D III now. My opinion is that your basic idea of switching to full-frame is well justified. When I was trying to sell either the 7D or 5D II to a friend, we did some comparisons, shooting the same subject with the same lens at the same aperture on both cameras. After just a cursory glance at the CR2s, she dismissed the 7D, and it was obvious why; there's just no comparison in IQ. They may be in the same ball park, but not in the same league.

I
...Show more

I am not getting rid of the 7D due to the IQ as I find that it provides sufficient IQ in prints. My main want for FF is the look of the whole image that the larger sensor provides. Of course a bump up in IQ is welcomed particularly in the noise department!

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Weird mix - 5D2 with 24-70 or 5D3 with primes.

Totally different feel.

Do you like working with primes? Image qualities, more demanding, changing lenses now and then.

The 5D2 with a 24-70 is a glorified, albeit highly capable, P&S.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:13 PM
dlodi
• •
p.1 #16 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

I recently switched from the 7D to the 5DIII. While you are not switching for IQ, you will certainly enjoy the improved IQ that the 5DIII delivers. It produces amazing images! Its not that the 7D doesn't deliver wonderful images, but the 5DIII does it much more consistently (IMHO). If you decide that you want a zoom I would consider the 24-105 L. The Canon 17-55 f/2.8 had become my favorite mid-zoom on the 7D. Honestly, I don't think I ever picked up the 24-105 after I got the 17-55. However, the 5DIII put the 24-105 in a whole new light. Very useful range with solid IQ and color. And, you get the build quality of an L for a fairly reasonable price (+/- $750).

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.1 #17 · 7D -> Full Frame exchange

Paul Mo wrote:
Weird mix - 5D2 with 24-70 or 5D3 with primes.

Totally different feel.

Do you like working with primes? Image qualities, more demanding, changing lenses now and then.

The 5D2 with a 24-70 is a glorified, albeit highly capable, P&S.

I aim to get a 24-70 regardless of which 5D I pick up, it's merely a matter of when! If I get the Mk2 then I get it straight away, otherwise I wait a year or so. Anyway, I am happy to shoot primes as I tend to use the 28/50 primes moreso than the 17-55 on the 7D.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password