Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Can't focus with contacts!

thr1961
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can't focus with contacts!

I recently moved from glasses to contacts and opted to have my eyes corrected for distance only. Progressive contacts or the "one eye near; one eye far" solution did not interest me and I used readers for up close when needed.

Simultaneously, I upgraded my camera body to a D600 and find I cannot see "in focus" at all. I can rely on auto-focus and then holding the review screen a bit away, can see my image, but this is hardly ideal. I suppose I could wear readers when shooting, but have to believe I am not unique in this problem. I also assume that there is some Nikon-specific answer here, so thus my post in this forum.

How have others handled this? Is there a way to add reader-type magnification to the viewfinder?

Thanks for the help with my rapidly "maturing" eyes...

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:09 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can't focus with contacts!

Adjust the viewfinder diopter adjustment? Twist until you are happy with it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:09 PM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can't focus with contacts!

Did you adjust the diopter to your eyes + lenses?

Can you see the lines and symbols in the viewfinder sharp? No->check diopter.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:10 PM
OneLightStand

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can't focus with contacts!

I went through the same issue a few years ago...solution #1 is to go back to glasses when shooting, #2 is to try and train yourself to ignore the blurriness while shooting and trust the camera to focus properly, I found that one tough b/c I felt disconnected with the shooting process. I eventually opted for laser eye surgery...now it's all good again.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:11 PM
thr1961
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can't focus with contacts!

I have adjusted the diopter, but the distance correction is too strong to allow for a sharp image. I am thinking of trying with my readers, but am hoping there is another option!

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:30 PM
gwaww
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can't focus with contacts!

I had the same problem many years ago when I shot professionally. Here is the solution that worked for me based on advice I received from an eye doctor. We determined which of my eyes was dominant and I only wore a contact on that eye. I focused and was able to read with the other eye. It took a lot of getting use to, but after I did, it worked for me quite well.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Nijay
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can't focus with contacts!

thr1961 wrote:
but am hoping there is another option!

LASIK

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:45 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can't focus with contacts!

Guess that's one of the differences between the entry level model and the D800 series, replacement diopters. I never thought about it with the D800 as I'd bought a replacement diopter for it just to bring the focus into the mid-point of the adjustment. My D600 seems to be OK however. Since I shoot primarily landscape I use the viewfinder to compose, then use live view to achieve focus. That probably doesn't help you though.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:53 PM
RoyC
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can't focus with contacts!

You can buy from Nikon eye piece adapters DK-20C for the D600 that span from +3.0 to a -5.0 correction. Talk to your eye doctor and get his guess as to which one to buy.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:36 PM
Reagan
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can't focus with contacts!

I have 1 contact for distance and 1 for reading for at least 15 years now
A +4 in the left eye and a 2.25 in the right which is the one I use to shoot with
Never had any problem on d700 and now the d600 and I mainly shoot manual focus lens
You will eventually find a way

Reagan

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can't focus with contacts!

Hey I never noticed that Roy. And they are cheap too. Only $9.95

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:39 PM
thr1961
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can't focus with contacts!

The eye piece adapter sounds like a great plan! I will call my eye doctor and see what he suggests for a correction. And at $10 a pop, I can get a couple of different ones and see what works best.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:46 PM
blumesan

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can't focus with contacts!

thr1961 wrote:
I have adjusted the diopter, but the distance correction is too strong to allow for a sharp image. I am thinking of trying with my readers, but am hoping there is another option!

Using your readers is exactly the wrong solution.

A trip back to your eye doctor is certainly in order. Cameras are designed such that the image should appear sharp when the eye is not making an active accommodation (focusing effort). This is the case when the eye adjusts to see distant objects, as is the case when using lenses which correct for distant vision. One possibility is that you are so accustomed to exert accommodation without your lenses, you have not broken this habit. Try keeping both eyes open while looking thru the viewfinder.

Ask anyone who uses bifocals or progressive lenses with their camera. They always look through the distance (upper) portion of the lens when looking at the viewfinder.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:12 PM
thr1961
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can't focus with contacts!

Interesting. I do have progressives but they are very new and I have not worn them when I shoot. The contacts are also new and so maybe I do need to try the keeping both eyes open. I tried this afternoon with readers and did not have much luck either. Pulling back from the viewfinder a bit seemed to help, slightly.

I have a call into my eye doctor. However, based on what you suggest, a magnified diopter will not solve the problem.

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can't focus with contacts!

For several years, I have gotten my contact lenses very slightly off towards being near sighted. My perfect correction for all of my youth and adulthood was 4.00 in both eyes. To make it easier to see cell phones, computer screens, car dashs, etc. my contact lenses were always 3.75 diopters. As I have aged, my perfect correction became 3.75. So now my contacts are 3.50. And I can see perfectly through my D7000 with that setting. And I can still see my golf balls, as well. Works good for me.

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:45 AM
thr1961
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can't focus with contacts!

Interesting. I tried shooting last night with glasses (progressives) and had no better luck. Then shot with no correction at all (no glasses or contacts) and could see perfectly through the viewfinder. I hate the idea of having to wear glasses on "shooting" days, just so I can remove them to shoot. The both eyes open trick did not work, nor did the readers. I will be interested to hear what my eye doctor has to say.

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:48 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can't focus with contacts!

I have seen glasses somewhere that the lenses flip up on for photographers so that you don't actually have to take them off. Don't remember where though. Maybe someone else here has seen them.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM
blumesan

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can't focus with contacts!

thr1961 wrote:
Interesting. I tried shooting last night with glasses (progressives) and had no better luck. Then shot with no correction at all (no glasses or contacts) and could see perfectly through the viewfinder.

At that time did you perhaps have some correction dialed in on the VF diopter?

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Can't focus with contacts!

I always had very good vision and found it very aggravating when I needed reading glasses. I fought my glasses using my camera, and many other things…….I needed to change focal range too often, I was constantly raising and lowering my head trying to find the correct part of the lens to see what I was doing.

Then I got multifocal contacts and also different strengths for each eye, so I use one eye for distance and one eye for reading and somehow the multifocal part also. I thought it sounded crazy when my doctor told me what he wanted to do; and I can’t stand anything in my eye so I never thought I could tolerate contacts. My wife has been wearing different powered contacts in each eye for years and talked me into trying them.

It was the best thing I could have done……they worked great. My wife was absolutely correct (as usual). Here are the contacts I wear if anyone wants to look into them (pun intended) . Bausch & Lomb soflens multi-focal. I use a 1.75 in my left eye and a .25 in my right eye.

http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Products/Contact-Lenses/Contact-Lenses-for-Presbyopia-Multifocal/Soflens-multifocal-contact-lenses

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password