Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do...

plnelson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

Often when I print on my Epson R3000 it wastes time and ink "Changing Black Ink" but I can't figure out why.

I only print on matte paper - I have several kinds of different weights and sizes and qualities, but only matte. Just matte.

Nothing but matte.

I have never, ever specified a glossy paper or glossy print or photo-black ink in the Preferences with my R3000. I don't own any glossy paper.

But sometimes - maybe 25% or 30% of the time when I go to print I hear it going through the whole "changing ink" routine and under Preferences I see that the paper is set to glossy and it's trying to change to photo black ink. Why does it do this? Sometimes it does this RIGHT AFTER I did a (matte, of course) print and I'm merely doing a second print so I didn't think I had to set the preferences again.

How do I tell the printer that I will never, ever, EVER make a glossy print so it should forget all about "photo black" ink and under no circumstances default to a glossy paper or photo black ink? If I forget to set the paper or ink it should always, 100% of the time, no exceptions, default to matte. Is there a configuration file or (Windows 7) registry setting I can set to delete any concept or default of glossy or photo black ink?

The manual says "To conserve ink, you can select the type of ink that is available by default. First decide which type of media you usually print on. Check the type of ink that works with that media. Then, if necessary, switch to that ink type." But I don't see where to set it as a default. (To me "default"=the setting it will assume if I don't tell it otherwise. What does Epson mean by default?)

Thanks in advance for clarifying this.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:54 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

Default is usually what is set in Windows, Settings, Printers...

I don't have that printer, but is there a requirement to print from a certain tray for glossy vs. matte? Sometimes available paper will change printer settings.

EBH

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:04 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

It is really annoying that the Epson software does not give you a chance to stop the ink swap, it does on the larger format printers. You get a message asking if you really want to do a black swap.

I don’t know what operating system you are working under, but under Windows, go to Control Panel, then Printers and Devices, and right click on the printer icon and choose Printer Preferences…, then set the paper to any one of the matte papers and click Apply, and then OK out of the dialog. That will set the matte/matt/mat paper as your preference.

There is probably something very similar you can do on the Mac OS.

Brian A

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:11 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

I have the 3880, so this is just a guess...

The random, unwanted ink swap happened to me a couple times before I discovered that printing options are stored inside an image file, IF the image is saved after printing. Actually, I beleive the print profile is saved inside the image file and it's the profile that specifies the ink type and will force an ink swap.

So, if you open a file that was previously printed under some profile that called for photo black ink, the print driver will check and swap inks if necessary. I printed two images OK, loaded a third and immediately went to print without checking and got an surprise ink swap. Turns out that 3rd image had been printed long ago on a different paper.

May not be exactly your problem, but something is telling the printer to swap inks and the driver will do that automatically when the profile tells it to.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

hugowolf wrote:
It is really annoying that the Epson software does not give you a chance to stop the ink swap, it does on the larger format printers. You get a message asking if you really want to do a black swap.

I don’t know what operating system you are working under, but under Windows, go to Control Panel, then Printers and Devices, and right click on the printer icon and choose Printer Preferences…, then set the paper to any one of the matte papers and click Apply, and then OK out of the dialog. That will set the matte/matt/mat paper as your
...Show more

Windows 7. I do set it to matte paper in Preferences but it doesn't STAY set reliably.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

plnelson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

redcrown wrote:
I have the 3880, so this is just a guess...

The random, unwanted ink swap happened to me a couple times before I discovered that printing options are stored inside an image file, IF the image is saved after printing. Actually, I beleive the print profile is saved inside the image file and it's the profile that specifies the ink type and will force an ink swap.

So, if you open a file that was previously printed under some profile that called for photo black ink, the print driver will check and swap inks if necessary. I printed two images OK,
...Show more

This is why I was careful to mention that I never, ever print glossy - I only print my own work so none of these files and profiles have ever seen a setting for glossy paper or PK ink. So it can't be something that got stored from some earlier print.

But getting back to the part of the Epson manual I quoted - does anyone understand what Epson means by "default"?

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

plnelson wrote:
Windows 7. I do set it to matte paper in Preferences but it doesn't STAY set reliably.

It won't stay set, but it becomes the default. That will be the setting when you open the printer's dialog, or if you print directly without openning the dialog. If you change the media setting, intentionally or accidentaly to anything that would require photo black, then that is what you will get.

The use of PK or MK is intrinsically bound to the media type. If you choose a photo paper, then you will get PK.

Brian A

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:28 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

plnelson,

Curious to hear the outcome of final analysis of this thread. Did you ever discover why your printer swaps black inks?

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:09 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

I wonder if it uses the inks in the same way tho? If it does one possible solution would be to chip the ink you want to use as being the Photo Black it often (mistakenly) selects and placing that in the Photo Black slot.

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:21 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Epson 3000 "Changing Black Ink" why, and how do I prevent it?

I have an R2880 and I can create pre-sets if I want.....simply by saving the settings I use for a particular paper. It takes seconds to check or select before doing a print.

Back in the day when I was more into printing, I had presets for paper / subject combinations.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password