Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

Steven King
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

Well this one went to the last 4.5 seconds, the the good guys in RED won!

1 - The game winner trickled through the pads of Jonathan Quick and never found the back of the net, but just did cross the line

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 -

7 -

8 -

9 -

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:54 AM
cmpdesignz2010
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

White balance is jumping around like crazy. Is that the usual in that arena?

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

I was thinking the same thing Chris...
Seems a little underexposed in a few as well...

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

Number 4 really stands out for me as a great shot, but I agree with above, it seems you are chasing WB.

Paul

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

Yeah and that's what happens regularly in the old barn known as "The Joe". I was getting different readings from all three locations, tried different custom WB settings but as you know when you do this "off the ice" at the beginning of the period it can be a bit off due to the fresh reflective surface. Arrgghh!

The first four are through the glass in the zamboni end behind the opponent's goal in the Third period. The next three, 5, 6, 7, as you can tell are much brighter shot through the hole at the face off circle. The last two, 8, 9, are from the concourse and is a bit trickier there due to dealing with 3-4 different readings based upon where you shoot on the entire length of the rink. I didn't shoot in RAW, (uploading on deadline makes that too tough/stressful), so I tried to pull them in with a few color balance adjustments, like with the first four I added more cyan (-20 to -30) since the RED was overpowering. You can tell since the whites are white and the ice is close.

I'm open to ideas since I'll never get to strobe this rink.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
NKerleyPhoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

I'm seeing a neutral grey (or something close) in most of these photos. What are you using to post process.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

andypep
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

Steve - I have the same issues with WB when shooting youth hockey at JLA - so I get it. The only way to correct it is to shoot RAW - and even then it takes a lot to correct some of them.

Nice set as always.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:38 AM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

Thanks Andy,
The lights are what they are, cycling, multiple colors in at least 4 zones, but decent enough total light so I don't gripe too much.

@NKerley, I'm just doing PP in PSCS5, I've used Photoshop so long I'm very comfortable with it, yet itching to move to Lightroom for a bit more speed. I've gotten good tips in the past to recognize a color shift and know where to make adjustments (at least somewhat), to help the cycling lights issue. I ingest/download and caption using Photo Mechanic, PM5 is pretty quick for this step.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Jay Kopinski
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

I agree on the WB, but I can empathize. Looks like some nice clean glass at the Joe. I really like the framing on #2 with Howard in the background. Good shots Steve, cheers.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:12 PM
steve126a

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

Geez, looks like Jimmy is getting roughed up in that last shot. That was a great game (I watched on television).

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NHL: Red Wings v Kings

@Jay, Thanks. The glass is fairly clean in the zamboni end right behind the goal, but not so much in many other places. I should show you the mark on the glass right ON THE hole where I was sitting in the 2nd period. Franzen checked a guy right into my spot. If I'd have stayed put his stick would have hit me in the forehead since the end of the stick came through the hole in the glass and put a 3" mark around the hole. Luckily I was shooting with both eyes open and ducked back.

@steve126a, yeah, a few of us were saying that we wanted Tootoo on the ice more since a few of the Kings were taking big liberties with Howard that game.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password