FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Apache Elk

LandPirate
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Apache Elk

I'm completely new to digital photography so everyday is new learning experience. Just recently bought my first DSLR, a Canon T4i with EF-S 18-55 IS II and a 55-250 IS II. I enjoy the challenge of learning something new and this is no exception. I'm nowhere near as good as you folks but hope to get there sooner than later.

Thanks for looking and any feedback, good, bad or otherwise is appreciated.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:37 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Apache Elk

Welcome Landpirate, your off to a good start. Everyone has to start somewhere.

You are looking for feedback so here is some.

First, don't place your subjects dead center in the frame unless you are trying to do a portrait. The last photo is more interesting because the eye is drawn to the top right corner and nothing is centered. Read about the Rule of Thirds.

Second, when reviewing your photos, look critically at the focus. For example, in the first one, I'm not seeing anything sharp. I don't know if its the shutter speed or what.

In any case, keep shooting. Your doing fine

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:13 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Apache Elk

I've taken a class since these photos were taken. I learned how the auto-focus works on my camera. Consequently I've learned how to get sharper pics at distance. These particular elk were in shadow at day break and I had the camera set to Aperture Priority, thus a slower shutter speed.

Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I'm wanting to hear.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:40 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Apache Elk

Keep shooting, until your finger gets a callus or bleeds. #3 has nice light! Stick around the forum and you'll learn quickly. Don

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:25 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Apache Elk

Congrats for your posting LandPirate!!!!

Oh the days of first outtings...........uugh...I'd hate to show mine!!

You have a good start and we all look forward to seeing your progression.

Some minor pointers to help speed up the progress:

1. The camera will shoot both in landscape (which done here) and portrait mode....sometimes you can add dynamics to the photo by rotating to portrait mode...#4 would be a good one for that.
2. As you continue to learn....always remember to keep shutter speed above total focal length if possible...this will assist in sharp images
3. Don't be afraid to shoot manual...even in the beginning. Watch your exposure meter inside the viewfinder....determine what the minimum shutter speed you can live with...move F stop to get slightly over exposed (+1/3 or so)....better to slightly over expose...than under

Your off to a solid start....key thing to photography is..........

PRACTICE....PRACTICE.....PRACTICE

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Apache Elk

Thanks for all the pointers and encouragement. I'm like a sponge right now, soaking up everything I can. Really enjoying the challenge.

I've been in law enforcement for 24 years so my photo experience comes from crime scene photography. Not exactly artistic in nature. So I'm trying to break away from the cold, concrete documentation style that I've employed for the majority of my life. My last SLR was a Pentax K100 (I think) 35mm film with a 50mm lens. My only digital experience is with rinky dink point and shoots that were issued by the department.

I have to admit being a bit overwhelmed by how advanced these modern DSLR cameras are. With practice that is slowly diminishing.

I plan to retire in the very near future and want to make photography a part of my life. As a hunter, fisherman and outdoorsman, I see many wonderful things that I really want to capture and share with others. Again, thanks to everybody for their input. It is greatly appreciated.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:33 AM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Apache Elk

Welcome aboard Michael, you are off to a nice start. We are a friendly bunch and will get you up to speed in no time.

Rob

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:57 AM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Apache Elk

Thanks for the warm welcome, Rob. I'm really enjoying looking at everyone's work here. I want to take my photography from "snapshots" to the next level for my own enjoyment. Looks like I've stumbled into the right spot to help with that. Lots of talented and accomplished photographers here.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Apache Elk

LandPirate wrote:
... I've been in law enforcement for 24 years so my photo experience comes from crime scene photography. Not exactly artistic in nature. So I'm trying to break away from the cold, concrete documentation style that I've employed for the majority of my life. My last SLR was a Pentax K100 (I think) 35mm film with a 50mm lens. My only digital experience is with rinky dink point and shoots that were issued by the department.

I have to admit being a bit overwhelmed by how advanced these modern DSLR cameras are. With practice that is slowly diminishing. I
...Show more

You have an admirable goal. Don't let new technology overwhelm you. As sickpuppy said, practice is key. Learn the buzzwords and learn how to post process and you will get the hang of it. Photography makes a wonderful hobby and can consume a lot of time

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.