Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal co...

802walker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Howdy folks. I have done a bit of research for a new tripod to replace my solid as heck but equally heavy old tripod. I shoot primarily in the backcountry so lightness is important to me.

I have finally found what I think is the lightest and best priced solid tripod. The Velbon Maxi M. It weighs 2.02 pounds including the head/mount and costs a cool 175 bucks. All reviews I have read is that it's solid and well built. The mount leaves a little to be desired, but I'm fine with that compromise.

So, my question here......before I pull the trigger, do you know a lighter equally affordable tripod (head/mount included) that is a full height/fully functioning tripod?? Very possible I might have missed something out there.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Many people end up paying about twice as much for their tripod because they continually upgrade and do not go ahead and spring for a decent one to start with.

Consider FEISOL. No, it is not $175, but $500 and weighs 3.5 lbs.

FEISOL Link

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

The Velbon Maxi M is only rated to hold 3.3 pounds. I'd be careful putting anything more than a light DSLR with a prime on that one. And even so it could be tippy.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Do you really belive that you have found the the lightest and best priced solid tripod. it's a 5 leg section tripod. Very very short and made for point and shoot cameras. Load rating is 2 kg...................

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:18 PM
802walker
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Do you really belive that you have found the the lightest and best priced solid tripod. it's a 5 leg section tripod. Very very short and made for point and shoot cameras. Load rating is 2 kg...................

I use an Olympus OM-D and combined with a wide angle lens or any lens for the system for that matter, doesn't come close to 2kg. I consider 4.5 feet adequate for landscape photography, which is what I do.

And no, I do not really believe that, hence coming to the forum to ask. Thanks for you input.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM
802walker
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Wobble wrote:
Many people end up paying about twice as much for their tripod because they continually upgrade and do not go ahead and spring for a decent one to start with.

Consider FEISOL. No, it is not $175, but $500 and weighs 3.5 lbs.

FEISOL Link

Thanks for the link, I'll check this out. A bit heavier but looks more solid.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Can you share what tripod you're looking to replace? It seems you're primary concerns are weight and, to some extent, cost.

Although you're gear isn't that heavy, a 2kg weight rating is a bit light and may not be as stable as your current tripod.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:33 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Once upon a time I owned the Velbon Maxi (no m). It was light but absolutely terrible, a joke for a serious photographer. It came with an integrated pan-and-tilt head which could not support a blueberry muffin. It always sagged, it could not be positioned with a canon d60 +16-35 mm zoom. I concur with the recommendation to get a set of Feisol legs. You will also need/want a ball head with an Arca Swiss clamp. And, listen up, you will want some mounting plate suitable to attach your camera to the tripod. If you don't have a good mounting plate the camera wiggles and you might as well forget the tripod.

Hope this help

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

nma wrote:
Once upon a time I owned the Velbon Maxi (no m). It was light but absolutely terrible, a joke for a serious photographer. It came with an integrated pan-and-tilt head which could not support a blueberry muffin. It always sagged, it could not be positioned with a canon d60 +16-35 mm zoom. I concur with the recommendation to get a set of Feisol legs. You will also need/want a ball head with an Arca Swiss clamp. And, listen up, you will want some mounting plate suitable to attach your camera to the tripod. If you don't have a good mounting
...Show more

+1

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:39 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

nma wrote:
... could not support a blueberry muffin.

Great description!

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Walker

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Here is another vote for Feisol. I have a CT-3442 for light-weight work and it works very well for me.

It is 2.49 pounds (per their web site) and you will need to add a ball head (say, an RRS BH-25 Pro at 6.5 ounces). The total package will be less than 3 pounds.

For a bit more weight, you can use a ball head with more capability for more weight. The RRS BH-40 LR is 16.9 ounces.

The RRS TQC-14 tripod also looks great at 2.7 pounds, but I don't have personal experience with it.

Steve

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:53 PM
802walker
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Thanks for the input on the velbon!! I was hopeful, but it seems it was too good to be true! This is really great to know.

I currently use a Manfrotto 3001BD with a Slik SBH-280DK head. It is sold and an amazing tripod, I've had it for almost 10 years....but honestly, I want to chuck it off the side of a mountain after carrying it for 4 days on my back. I think it weighs about 4.5 pounds total.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:13 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

It's interesting but they still make that same model. Based on the specs it's rated at 11lbs load so the Velbon is well under that rating. It's also 3.83lbs in weight, while the Feisol linked above is 2.53lbs and rated at 22lbs.

It's less than a 1.5lbs in savings, but every bit counts when you're packing. Weight rating shouldn't be your only guide, but it does get you started. As far as weight in this level of support, I think you'll find it hard to get much lighter and still remain stable.

I don't have a Feisol but from comments here by folks I'd respect I don't see this as a bad recommendation. The link is for a combo tripod/head, reasonable price.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

I use the FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441S Rapid + Markins Q3 head when I need something very small and light for travelling. I'm using it at this moment travelling in S.E.Asia.
It's a rather good combo. And small enough to fit inside my photo backpack also

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:42 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

And in the middle of February Feisol will present a new ultra lightweight the FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3332S Rapid.

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:49 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

That CT-3332S Rapid looks nice. I wonder what size head will fit to allow the most compact folded position. I use the CT-3441T rapid right now, but could easily get by with a shorter pod most of the time, especially using a mirrorless camera with a flip up LCD.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

I believe that on all of the FEISOL Traveler series of tripods the legs will fold 180 degrees up around the ball head.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Not sure I'd take advice on a tripod from a guy named "Wobble".

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:27 PM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

Todd Warnke wrote:
Not sure I'd take advice on a tripod from a guy named "Wobble".

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you know a lighter solid tripod at relatively equal cost to this one?

That's funny!!! And yes, a decent tripod helps control the wobble.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password