New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 500/4 repairs

lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 500/4 repairs

Well today while cleaning my 500/4 IS, I noticed that the meniscus (or element behind it) has some sort of mold growing on it. The outer rim of the element has what seems like little hairs growing towards the middle. I had to use an LED light to notice it, and did not see it when I examined the lens when purchasing it (used).

I am a CPS member, so has anyone ever had to replace the meniscous glass? Any idea how much it costs? If it's not the meniscous (which I think it's the first UD element behind it), what kind of $ are we talking to fix it? I'm assuming in the thousands for the front main UD element.

Thanks,

Charles

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 500/4 repairs

Bummer. I had the meniscus in my left knee repaired, but it was covered under my medical plan.

I may sell my 500 II later this year, and will guarantee that it will have no little hairs growing anywhere. No mold grows on lenses in this part of the country due to our arid weather.

Seriously, good luck with any repairs.

Tony

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 500/4 repairs

You should simply assume that the lens will be repaired for the CPS Canada fixed-rate cost. That's $299 before tax for the 500/4L IS, according to the CPS Services Rates document. They'll contact you if it'll be more expensive, but I doubt it will. Last year I sent in a lens that a local estimate said needed $700+ in parts, not yet counting labour. CPS Canada repaired it for $305, incl. tax & shipping. A few days after sending it, I was getting worried because I expected them to say they would need more money for the repair, and so I asked if they had looked at it yet. They told me it was finished and would ship out that day. It took four days door to door.

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:59 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 500/4 repairs

Thanks fellas. Tony, I had no idea there was glass in knees :P

Jim, I will ship the lens over tomorrow morning and see what they say I guess! The issue doesn't seem to be affecting IQ, but I want to catch it before it gets any worst. 299, that's nothing!

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:54 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 500/4 repairs

Imagemaster wrote:
I may sell my 500 II later this year,

Wow, you are doing very well this time around. Judging by your past record , I thought the lens would have been on the B&S Forum by now.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:05 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 500/4 repairs

lowa2 wrote:

Jim, I will ship the lens over tomorrow morning and see what they say I guess! The issue doesn't seem to be affecting IQ, but I want to catch it before it gets any worst. 299, that's nothing!

Nothing indeed, if the UD element needs replacing.
However, even if that element is infected, they might be able to clean it if no surface etching has taken place yet.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:08 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 500/4 repairs

With luck, perhaps one of your complemtary CPS Clean and Check coupons will apply.

Db

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 500/4 repairs

Doctorbird wrote:
With luck, perhaps one of your complemtary CPS Clean and Check coupons will apply.

Db

We don't get those in Canada. OTOH, we do get substantial discounts on new L-series lenses and 1D-series cameras.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 500/4 repairs

And on a positive note, the seller has agreed to help out with the repair!

A rare ocasion nowadays!

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 500/4 repairs

lowa2 wrote:

A meniscus tear is a common knee injury. The meniscus is a rubbery, C-shaped disc that cushions your knee. Each knee has two menisci (plural of meniscus)-one at the outer edge of the knee and one at the inner edge. The menisci keep your knee steady by balancing your weight across the knee. A torn meniscus can prevent your knee from working right.

Now if you want to talk about my glass eye, that is another subject.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 500/4 repairs

Glass eye eh? Lol. Thanks for the anatomy lesson

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:57 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 500/4 repairs

jcolwell wrote:
We don't get those in Canada. OTOH, we do get substantial discounts on new L-series lenses and 1D-series cameras.

Jim, I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to refrain from repeatedly remaining us of that. There's not a lot of things I'm jealous about when it comes to Canada, but the CPS discount is almost enough to make me want to take on dual citizenship .

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:04 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 500/4 repairs

Here it is, under the setting sun. Man, I didn't think it was that bad...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/lowa2/Photos%20after%202010-10-09/lensmold_zps38969904.jpg

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:30 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 500/4 repairs

jcolwell wrote:

You are so right, brother Jim. Just a week or so ago CPS Canada saved me a bundle of cash by charging me only $6,240 for a brand new 300 f/2.8 IS MkII.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:33 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 500/4 repairs

I hope they can repair this one! I only got it a few months ago...

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.