New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

My 1D4 said to calibrate the battery during the next charge.
My 1D2 and 1D2N charger had a button to push which would discharge the battery and recharge it.

I didn't find anything in the instruction book about this for the 1D4.
When I placed the 1D4 battery in it's charger I pushed the Calibrate / Performance button and held it down
and the charger showed red for a moment but then went into the charge position.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

Kenneth Farver wrote:
My 1D4 said to calibrate the battery during the next charge.
My 1D2 and 1D2N charger had a button to push which would discharge the battery and recharge it.

I didn't find anything in the instruction book about this for the 1D4.
When I placed the 1D4 battery in it's charger I pushed the Calibrate / Performance button and held it down
and the charger showed red for a moment but then went into the charge position.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken.

Here's what the manual says.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

yes, that's what I found in the manual also, thanks.
The "camera" said to calibrate the battery.
I have never had the cal/charge lamp blink in red when inserting a battery.

In the 1D2 charger I could press the button anytime and have it discharge my battery and recharge it completely.
This is why I am confused.

Thanks for your response.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

You're welcome. Stupid cameras.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:49 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

Just use the battery until it is very low and then recharge it.

EBH

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:15 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

thanks!

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:37 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

I have three 1D4 batteries and all they require calibrating every single time I recharge them. I have tried all the suggested techniques to stop them doing this but none have worked. (I said all!). It's darned annoying to say the least.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

Bones74 wrote:
I have three 1D4 batteries and all they require calibrating every single time I recharge them. I have tried all the suggested techniques to stop them doing this but none have worked. (I said all!). It's darned annoying to say the least.

Sometimes you need to calibrate them a few times before they get "normal" again. Maybe they are old or bad and need to be replaced soon.
And you don't have to do the calibration if you don't like. Just charge them as you would do with any battery if you like that.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Sometimes you need to calibrate them a few times before they get "normal" again. Maybe they are old or bad and need to be replaced soon.

Yes, I know this, I've tried it The batteries aren't even old. I bought to two spare batteries and the calibrate message started just a couple of months after I bought them. I checked with the retailer that were genuine and got written confirmation in the affirmative.

So if the red light flashes when the battery is inserted do you just leave it and then it will go green and start charging? Obviously if you press the button then calibration starts. I'm going to try now.

edit: Ok, I'm an idiot... if you just leave the battery sitting on the charger, the light goes green and charging begins. I am going to beat myself in the head for a bit

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

edit: Ok, I'm an idiot... if you just leave the battery sitting on the charger, the light goes green and charging begins. I am going to beat myself in the head for a bit

Perhaps a herbal tea and a quiet lie-down in a darkened room would do much better.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

I'm guessing that you need to have the battery fairly discharged. When you insert the battery and the charge / condition lamp flashes, then hold down the button above it for the discharge to start.
Otherwise just charge the batteries. I think it may take 3 charges for them to become normal.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

Perhaps a herbal tea and a quiet lie-down in a darkened room would do much better.

Yes.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

Li Ion batteries also have a limited lifetime, regardless of # of charges. Check Battery University for details.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:42 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

Same as Bones74...now I just ignore the message...

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

skid00skid00 wrote:
Li Ion batteries also have a limited lifetime, regardless of # of charges. Check Battery University for details.

True. I suspect some batteries that have been sold as new have been sitting for some time before you bought it, so they start to deteriorate sooner than expected.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

skid00skid00 wrote:

But they last a long time. Both in years and numbers of charges/pics. I still use my original batteries for my 1D3 and 1Ds3. They are 5-6 years old. And I have shoot hundred thousends of pics with those two batteries. And they still works like a new batteries

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Calibrate 1D4 battery

My older LP-E4 batteries for the 1Ds III are basically useless now and I did not use them as much as you have. They lose a charge completely in a few weeks on the shelf. The newer ones are at 90% after the same period.

EBH

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.