New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Two versions of PP

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Two versions of PP

Here is an image I took yesterday with two versios of PP. Please feel free critique/suggest.

This is version of more "traditional" PP

This one was created with more radical make-over

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Two versions of PP

It's hard to evaluate the technical quality at the sizes posted but there appear to be masking artifacts in both images. They are particularly noticeable in the second image around the mountain/cloud boundaries and the tree branches on the right and the cloud/mountain boundary to the left of the center tree.

Once those things are taken care of I think it comes down to what mood you want to project. First image is a little sunnier and I think it gives more of an impression of a valley in shadows with a bright but cloudy day. The second has a darker, more ominous feel that gives me a more over-all cloudy/overcast impression.

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:33 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Two versions of PP

Eyeball wrote:
It's hard to evaluate the technical quality at the sizes posted but there appear to be masking artifacts in both images. They are particularly noticeable in the second image around the mountain/cloud boundaries and the tree branches on the right and the cloud/mountain boundary to the left of the center tree.

Once those things are taken care of I think it comes down to what mood you want to project. First image is a little sunnier and I think it gives more of an impression of a valley in shadows with a bright but cloudy day. The second has a darker,
...Show more

Thanks for yourthoughtful critics. Very much appreciatated. PP of nr 2 included a many layers of masks. I tried to bring out the rocks: El Cap and the 2 t sisters. hard to make it clean. But nr 1 had a straight PP: Level, some saturation and sharpening.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Two versions of PP

Jealous ... haven't been there yet (bucket list).

+1 @ Dennis.

Curious to see the sooc/raw to work from. I think you've got plenty to work with here. If you could post up something a bit larger (here or in PC Forum), it might be easier to see some things to recommended for possible approach.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Two versions of PP

Not that it's particularly visible at the size shown above, but you could reduce noise in the darker areas if you could lower the ISO. You ought to get away with it as the shutter speed is presently 4 / focal length. Dropping to 3 or 2 ought to be ok. At the higher ISOs what you gain in capture sharpness with the D800E is lost in noise and noise reduction far more easily than with the 12Mpx cameras like the D3s.

If nothing else you could try bracketing your shots and comparing them.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:32 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Two versions of PP

1 is best, although 2 might work if you control the (very evident) masks. Nice image.

John Caldwell

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Two versions of PP

RustyBug wrote:
Jealous ... haven't been there yet (bucket list).

+1 @ Dennis.

Curious to see the sooc/raw to work from. I think you've got plenty to work with here. If you could post up something a bit larger (here or in PC Forum), it might be easier to see some things to recommended for possible approach.

you are from far awy, it is difficult to catch a good winter day. Snow comes and gone counting in hours.

file size is very restricted here.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Two versions of PP

Alan321 wrote:
Not that it's particularly visible at the size shown above, but you could reduce noise in the darker areas if you could lower the ISO. You ought to get away with it as the shutter speed is presently 4 / focal length. Dropping to 3 or 2 ought to be ok. At the higher ISOs what you gain in capture sharpness with the D800E is lost in noise and noise reduction far more easily than with the 12Mpx cameras like the D3s.

If nothing else you could try bracketing your shots and comparing them.

you are right about iso. I have been shooting D3 and in the last 6 months D4.
With d800e, I have found out that , go slow and steady (tripod, remote control...) are the conditions for good IQ. Here, this one was shot at 200 ISO
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1188694/0#11337714

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Two versions of PP

John Caldwell wrote:
1 is best, although 2 might work if you control the (very evident) masks. Nice image.

John Caldwell

With nr 2 I wanted to bring out more colors, details of the background. i should as you said, take more time to control the masking process.
Next time, yes lucky me, there will be next time in yosemite for me, i will take two shots, one for front and one for back and I wiill blend them

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Two versions of PP

file size is very restricted here.

Just use jpg compression when you save as for posting larger file size ... image size can be plenty large. I typically post around 800 or so pixels tall, but much larger have been posted plenty of times (too big gets hard to view for some screens).

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.