Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

darryn patch
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

I haven't touched a camera for close to 5 years, sold it all to buy a business, but now I am looking at getting some gear again, mainly to shoot golf course design and on course action shots.

I've generally only ever owned 1 series bodies, and was looking at a 1DsIII for my first buy and was expecting to shell out 4K+ for one.

Why are they low 2K ish, whats out there now that has forced the DsIII price down to what I would call a ridiculously low price for a current production body, I recall this camera retailing for over 8K when it released.

To coin a phrase,

whats doing?

The weight/bulk does not bother me, I just want the best IQ availible and 100% accurate focus.

Now me being lazy and not prepared to search through reviews and specs on a multitude of bodies, whats on par with the 1DsIII that might sway away from it.

Sorry for my laziness and ignorance.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:34 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

The 1D-X and the 5D Mark III have been released with equivalent sized sensors and better AF. The 6D is out there with an approximately equal amount of pixels, better IQ, and a much lower price. There are many 5D Mark II on the used market and even some still new in the box in stores. All of that has made for a lot of downward pressure on prices of older technology.

These days, what does a 1Ds3 give you over and above a 5D3? A heavier bulkier body, more shots to cull out and delete (fps), more ISO noise, and not much else. (That of course is over-drawn and partisans will leap to the defense of the 1Ds3 with some valid good points.)

darryn patch wrote:
Now me being lazy and not prepared to search through reviews and specs on a multitude of bodies, whats on par with the 1DsIII that might sway away from it.

It seems the 6D has the best image quality for most users, the 5D3 has the best AF for the money (and better IQ than 1Ds3), and the 1D-X is the do-all / be-all / all-singing all-dancing camera in the Canon lineup. You'll get such a multitude of opinions here that you'll probably end up doing some searching for reviews anyway.

For golf, look into the "silent mode" feature of the (I think) 5D3 and 1D-X.

For your stated goals, personally, I think the 5D3 would be ideal: great AF, great high ISO, less weight so you would actually bring it and use it more often. If you want the ultimate fps for golf swings as a sports photographer who much get 'the shot' of a specific golfer teeing off on a specific hole for publication, then get the 1D-X. For mere mortal photographers, the 6D, or 5D2, or 5D3 would do an excellent job for golf course design and golf action shots (if you know and anticipate the timing of the action and don't have to get every stroke on every hole of every golfer).

Look deep within yourself and ask yourself if you need to spend a lot of money on a body or if you can spend some of it on lenses and tripods for better effect. For example, the 17mm TS-E could be the cat's pajamas for your course design panoramas. Spend some of the camera money on a Gitzo CF lightweight but solid tripod with panhead and you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:59 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

Some newer bodies have better performance in extreme low light, have better video capabilities, a higher resolution rear LCD , more options in live-view, and are smaller and lighter.

However, to those of us that find none of these features to be very important, the 1Ds3 is a screaming bargain at today's prices. IMHO, you won't find anything else that offers as good a combination of handling, AF, and IQ (at less that ISO1600) at anywhere near the price of a good used 1Ds3.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:18 AM
darryn patch
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

Lens wise I'll need to go back to a 600/4 especially with a FF body for swing and action shots also for long shots to distant greens and bunkers. I have always wanted a 17 T&S lens and that would be high on the agenda for the landscape aspect along with a few others.

I guess I am going to have to go do some leg work and get a handle on whats out there.

I don't really use the rear LCD, live veiw and video is of no consequence to me.

I think I'll look at the 5D3 or 1DsIII, I love the feel of a brick in my hand, so in all honesty a DsIII is slightly in front, but we haven't hit the home turn yet so anything can happen.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:03 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

Get the 5D III and add the bottom battery attachment and you are there. Nothing wrong at all with the 1DsIII, very good body but getting a bit long in the tooth (age). The 5D has improved specs in a number of areas. If you are starting from scratch why start from a behind postion?

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:54 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

coming from a 24 TSE to a 17 TSE Ill tell you if your looking at getting a 17 for landscapes, its pretty overkill. Its so wide you lose the sense of perspective. Much better for interior architect shots and buildings.
for nature stuffs, i woulda gotten a 24 over the 17 and picked up a lot of sharpness

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:26 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

You need a 600 to shoot golfers? Dont you have permission to be on the course? I'd rather be closer and use a 200/2 ? (havnt shot a lot of golf)...

17tse is very wide, 24tse isnt as wide but can be 14mm if you shift stitch.

As for bodies, the 1dsIII has indeed been superseded but its still a fine camera.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

For golf, I've used a 24-70mm (at tee and hole), 70-200mm (lots of places), and 500mm (looking down the fairway at the tee).

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

Tho there are colors, some value them, some dont. But otherwise yep, I guess few ppl actually sold 1DsMK3 for 5DMK3. Cant blame them..

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

I sold a 1DsIII to help pay for a 1DX. I'm good with that. I'd like to sell my 1DIV to help pay for a second 1DX, but at current prices, it'll only cover a few extra batteries...

P.S. I kept a 5DII for my back pocket, just in case.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:27 PM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

Definitely try to get your hands on both and test them. It sounds like you are leaning towards the Ds3. I use both the 1D4 and a 5D2, and have to agree that the "feel" of the "brick" is nice, but attached to a long lens it will get very HEAVY very QUICKLY!

Good luck with whichever you choose; both are fine tools.

Ron

darryn patch wrote:
Lens wise I'll need to go back to a 600/4 especially with a FF body for swing and action shots also for long shots to distant greens and bunkers. I have always wanted a 17 T&S lens and that would be high on the agenda for the landscape aspect along with a few others.

I guess I am going to have to go do some leg work and get a handle on whats out there.

I don't really use the rear LCD, live veiw and video is of no consequence to me.

I think I'll look at the 5D3 or 1DsIII, I
...Show more

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:30 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

It's been mentioned in passing but one of the first replies was about the 1Diii and the 1dx. Don't forget there was a 1DIV in between the 2 which seems to be selling used for the prices you were expecting to shell out.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

time2clmb wrote:
... Don't forget there was a 1DIV in between the 2 which seems to be selling used for the prices you were expecting to shell out.

Good point. Ten fps makes it a lot easier to get the right part(s) of a swing.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:57 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

darryn patch wrote:
...was looking at a 1DsIII for my first buy and was expecting to shell out 4K+ for one. Why are they low 2K ish, whats out there now that has forced the DsIII price down to what I would call a ridiculously low price for a current production body...

"Current production body"? It was replaced by the 1D Mark IV, which was in turn replaced by the 1D X. The 1D X (MSRP US$6,799.00) is the only "current" 1D-series body in production, so prices on 1D Mark IIIs will be based on their being used or "new old stock."

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

There seems to be some confusion as people are referring to the 1D4 versus 1D3. The 1D3 (1D Mark III) is not the 1Ds3 (1Ds Mark III) mentioned by the OP.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:11 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ignorance is not bliss, dumb questions coming.

Monito wrote:
There seems to be some confusion as people are referring to the 1D4 versus 1D3. The 1D3 (1D Mark III) is not the 1Ds3 (1Ds Mark III) mentioned by the OP.

Doh! I shoulda put on my reading glasses.

Still...the 1D X is the only current 1D-series camera. Both the Canon USA and Canon Australia Web sites only show the one.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.