Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure how much I would actually edit on such a device. How color-accurate is the screen, etc? Even with the iPad's IPS screen, I still much prefer editing on my iMac to get a better sense of how the photo actually looks.

Still, best of luck

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:05 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

cputeq wrote:
Sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure how much I would actually edit on such a device. How color-accurate is the screen, etc? Even with the iPad's IPS screen, I still much prefer editing on my iMac to get a better sense of how the photo actually looks.

Still, best of luck

You understand that the Surface Pro also has a IPS screen and that it can be calibrated so is likely to be as good or better than the Ipad screen. You still may prefer the Imac but other than size the screen is supposed to be very good.

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:31 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

timbop wrote:
not sure how something like the surface pro is more practical than a laptop when doing quick edits in the field. In order to get a big enough screen, and enough horsepower to make worthwhile edits you might as well have a laptop

And, can't wait for the forum police (you know who I mean) jumps in to say this doesn't belong in the canon forum.

You mean other than the built in Wacom screen?

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:33 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #4 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

I wanted one just for first pass sort on the couch and some edits. Planned to calibrate with my spyder 3. Once I narrow down my edits, I would finish things up on my 30" display. My problem is I have such a backlog of photos that I can't seem to ever look at at all. I need a kick in the rear to get editing.

The tethered shooting seems like it will be great with DPP and LR4 too! I would love to have this option for low angle shooting in the field. I also want to shoot with the camera really high up on a monopod for some of the stuff I am working on. Finally getting an eyefi card for my 5DIII and sending small .jpgs to the surface for instant preview would be great! I tried the new iPad and none of this stuff was possible without some kind of wanky work around.

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

WAYCOOL wrote:
You understand that the Surface Pro also has a IPS screen and that it can be calibrated so is likely to be as good or better than the Ipad screen. You still may prefer the Imac but other than size the screen is supposed to be very good.

The same can be said for laptop screens --- they can be calibrated, but even with proper calibration, I find they are not very accurate.

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:44 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

WAYCOOL wrote:
You mean other than the built in Wacom screen?

Yes, the 10" screen seems small for doing edits to me. It could just be that my eyes aren't very good

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

With touch you can easily zoom in and out tho I guess.

being able to see what your painting with a touch pen etc sounds like a good idea also.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #8 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Well, I got a surface pro today and got LR4.3 installed. A couple of problems right away. The USB 3.0 port is not powerful enough to run my external Lacie 2.5" bus powered drives. I will have to get a USB 3 hub. I can not get right click to work inside LR 4.3.. not sure if the app is just not optimized for this. This may be a dealbreaker. Need to look into this more. Sad because this machine is really beautiful and fast. Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:15 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #9 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

OK, got a drive to work with a powered enclosure, still no right click in LR, but have been able to work a little so far.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #10 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Imagemaster wrote:
Any idea why is says "WiFi only" yet the specs show "CONNECTIVITY Micro USB"?

Does that mean the micro USB can only be used for charging?

The micro USB can be used for transferring files and connecting up other electronic devices.

The Nexus has Wi-Fi for connectivity, but there is no Ethernet jack (RJ-45) so you can't plug a LAN cable into it directly.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
The micro USB can be used for transferring files and connecting up other electronic devices.

The Nexus has Wi-Fi for connectivity, but there is no Ethernet jack (RJ-45) so you can't plug a LAN cable into it directly.

Micro USB on Nexus tablets are a two way street. You can pull images off it as well as copy files to it. Most tablets let you do this, an example is mp3 music files, pdf/mobi book/magazine files, etc. jpegs/image files are no different. But these devices don't usually have easily accessible/sophisticated file systems.

The Surface...

The biggest issue with tablets is their limited storage and the Surface Pro has the same problem, only worse as the native Windows 8 it uses is the real full version of Windows. Windows is a huge O/S and on the largest Surface Pro with 128gb of storage, the O/S takes about 1/3rd of this memory; leaving the user with a bit less than 84gb,. That's not much storage space for additional software or files, and the O/Ss temp memory needs..

I see some pretty big down sides to thinking of the Surface Pro as anything but an enhanced tablet. But as we move away from device based installations of software, use the cloud to it's real potential, this machine looks quite useful. In tech's current state, with devices storing most software locally, this tablet won't be a DO-IT-ALL like an Ultrabook, Laptop type device, but it will serve very targeted situations quite well; as long as you have a power source near by.

This tablet is expensive, but it is a glimpse of the future, one already seen to a degree in the Google Chromebook. We still have a huge gap in the software area. There are two camps, Apps that run on mobile devices; phones/tablets, and software that runs on traditional computers; laptops/desktops.

I've been seriously looking at the Surface Pro as an alternative to a 'traditional' tablet. I still haven't decided if I'll jump as I've been looking at UltraBooks; including MacAir's as well. I'm still struggling with the need/want of a 'Touch' interface on my laptop/desktop device.

The Surface muddies things up a bit, has the limits of tablets, but runs a fully proven O/S and most all the software we use everyday. I like this idea, I think...with Win8 and USB 3.0, power external storage is available anf I've got 4 1.5TB drives that would work just fine for storing images/files

At two pounds it's a heavy beast, would sit on my lap just fine but I wouldn't be hand holding it in bed while reading. Where it shines tho is in it's software base, not doubt I'd have LR, Photoshop and MS office, even a few development tools on it and be quite productive. But I'd also be packing a power converter, maybe two, one for the wall socket and one for the car. With less than four hours of battery life you're going to be charging this puppy all the time, and it doesn't have a removable/rechargeable battery.

Is battery life the deal breaker, I'm not sure, might just be a big inconvenience

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Goobman

p.2 #12 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

My wife has a Surface RT and loves it. I'm thinking about getting a Surface Pro and will also want to use LR and DPP. Thank you for the thread...hopefully you can share more of your Surface Pro /LR/DPP experiences.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:54 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

StillFingerz wrote:
The Surface...

The biggest issue with tablets is their limited storage and the Surface Pro has the same problem, only worse as the native Windows 8 it uses is the real full version of Windows. Windows is a huge O/S and on the largest Surface Pro with 128gb of storage, the O/S takes about 1/3rd of this memory; leaving the user with a bit less than 84gb,. That's not much storage space for additional software or files, and the O/Ss temp memory needs..

Actually, you get an additional 10GB over what you listed. This has been all over the news in the past few days.

One example: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-officially-and-confusingly-discloses-surface-pro-storage-figures-7000011078/

I have Win8 on a laptop and it takes up about 30GB (approx), which is not insignificant, but it is what it is right now. Additionally, the 128GB mac air gives you the same thing when you subtract the OS space. In effect, it's a wash and if mac people don't complain about their products, there's no reason for windows people to do so either.

Lot's of people seem to think they need to complain, but this is where things are going, and if reports are accurate, the desire to have a surface-like tablet far outstrips the iDevices.

This tablet is expensive, but it is a glimpse of the future, one already seen to a degree in the Google Chromebook. We still have a huge gap in the software area. There are two camps, Apps that run on mobile devices; phones/tablets, and software that runs on traditional computers; laptops/desktops.

That's not exactly correct as things are changing rapidly. WindowsAndroid and Bluestack (beta) are bringing Android to the windows platform. I'm not really interested in running my 100's of Android apps on one of my PCs, but it does open new possibilities. Those that pronounce the PC as "dead" are either listening to a company in Cupertino or not thinking things through (not sure there's a difference though).

Additionally, the Ubuntu phone is porting straight linux (with some mods of course) to an ARM device. Could muddy the waters more. As for Chromebooks, I wouldn't waste more than 1 second rejecting the idea; they will die and deservedly so IMO. Stranger things have happened though, so they may live on for another year or two.

I've been seriously looking at the Surface Pro as an alternative to a 'traditional' tablet. I still haven't decided if I'll jump as I've been looking at UltraBooks; including MacAir's as well. I'm still struggling with the need/want of a 'Touch' interface on my laptop/desktop device.

The Surface muddies things up a bit, has the limits of tablets, but runs a fully proven O/S and most all the software we use everyday. I like this idea, I think...with Win8 and USB 3.0, power external storage is available anf I've got 4 1.5TB drives that would work just fine for storing images/files
...Show more

Any rev. 1.0 device may not be optimal, but the SP is coming pretty close in many ways.

I agree that you probably don't want to use it in bed, unless you prop it up with a little pillow or something. We have 6 Android tablets, and I even prop up the little 7" one, which can be held but there's no reason to do so.

The 10" Note II is beautiful for reading (must be seen to be appreciated), though even that is heavier than I would like (600g). At 50% more (900g), I wouldn't treat the SP as a casual entertainment device, but I'd happily use it as a work device in the right situations.

A review for reference: http://www.anandtech.com/print/6695

PS - you can always use wireless drives to connect to the SP.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

We'll get to a point when Apps/software follow the same basic framework and infrastructure; O/Ss, but were not there yet. All you list above are introductions to this mobile mess, just are new tools the let developers bridge the 'Software vs App' gap.

I've been a software and systems developer since the mid 70s, a Windows coder since it's v1.0 release when we had one of the best ever C compilers; Windows didn't overlap then it was only tiled.

And with regards to space in the Surface Pro, correct me if I'm wrong, the O/S requires 30gb written to the SSD, it like all previous windows implementations must have temp space to operate in as it switches out DLLs an parts of the .NET framework. As a long time developer I usually maintain a minimum of 20GB free, even though 10gb has pretty much been the recommended reserve drive space for windows to operate in...it just runs faster/smoother with a bit more room to breath in.

On a machine with only 4gb of RAM, running PhotoShop should be real 'fun' as layers will eventually be swapped to disk...a ton. LR is a different story, it's not a memory hog like PS, even MS Office should run fine.

I'll be waiting a bit, let the quirks be worked out by the early 'brave' adopters for this particular tablet; I've been under the covers with Win8 for awhile, the betas were interesting. I've enough arrows in me back to not jump just yet

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

With the surface pro you can get the OS/apps down to about 20gig if you require ( remove the 9gb recovery partition and 2-3gb office trialware).

Remember swapping to disk in an SSD isnt as slow as a physical spindle drive, and that windows 8 has a smaller lighter memory/performance footprint than windows 7 etc

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:29 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #16 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

I got right click to work, but the jury is still out on the LR4 performance until I get a USB 3 hub. Nice machine overall.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:08 AM
Red 90
• •
p.2 #17 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Personally I was looking at the surface pro with a lot of excitement as it would seem to have some amazing possibilities. The main draw for me is that there is a wacom tablet built in. This essentially makes this a cintiq. The smaller 12wx cintiq cost just as much as a surface pro already. Yes, I do know it's not a fair comparison, but if you do take a look at what the surface pro is trying to package together is it still rather impressive.

The only problem is the system as it is configured falls short of still being good at anything. As a tablet, it's too heavy and short on battery life. As a laptop, it's clunky and not as ergonomically productive. It can't be used like a cintiq with photoshop as it's not powerful enough and ram cannot be upgraded. The tablet/monitor cannot be hooked up to a more powerful computer to be used just as an external display and tablet.

I still do think that the direction that microsoft went is good, but it still needs a few iterations before it's something that can be useful.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

timbop wrote:
Yes, the 10" screen seems small for doing edits to me. It could just be that my eyes aren't very good

I agree and that's why I'd prefer a 13" ultrabook.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:43 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

trumpet_guy wrote:
I just played with one at the Microsoft store tonight. It's a beautiful tablet in many ways, and
the screen has 1920x1080 resolution.

I am sorry to report, however, that the web browsing experience for photos (at least in
Internet Explorer, which is all that was loaded) is POOR. Photos do not look sharp.
It looks like they are doing some expanding/re-sizing of the web images to fit the screen.
I could find no way to defeat this.

Frankly, the Retina iPad running Safari did the same thing...

Tim

Tim, this is just a function of the "retina" display resolution of the device. Both the traditional desktop and browser magnifications are set to 150%, so images must be scaled by default. (The real issue is that all Web sites are designed for 96 ppi displays, whereas 200-300 ppi resolution is becoming common on mobile devices.) However, in Windows and IE you can change this to be whatever you want (though at 100%, things are pretty tiny on the 10.6" display).

To change the desktop display magnification, right-click (or tap and hold) on the desktop and choose Screen resolution..., then Make text or other items larger or smaller

You can also set display magnification independently in both IE and Office 2013. Desktop IE and modern IE resolution settings are independent of each other as well. (In modern IE, swipe from the right for Charms, tap Settings, tap Internet Options, adjust Zoom.)

Finally, Surface Pro supports DisplayPort video output to very large external displays that you may run at 100% for greater image fidelity.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:56 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

RobDickinson wrote:
With the surface pro you can get the OS/apps down to about 20gig if you require ( remove the 9gb recovery partition and 2-3gb office trialware).

Remember swapping to disk in an SSD isnt as slow as a physical spindle drive, and that windows 8 has a smaller lighter memory/performance footprint than windows 7 etc

Hi Rob, understood about what could be removed and I'd be adding the the office disk area as Pro with Acrobat are our normal install. Might even install Visual Studio and the developer's SQL server just for grins

I'm hoping the use of the SSD is indeed be faster, much like my desktop is, doubt the Surface will match 32gb w/256 of SSD tho. But if it's even close then it's kind of a toss up between thhe Surface and an Ultrabook running Win8; battery life and no ethernet connection is a minus...

There are times when an Ultrabook gets in the way, not often, but aside from photography related activities, I can see myself with this smallish beastie doing some writing 'in-the-park' or some other inspiring place, maybe even coding or debugging at a late night hour...way too geekish I know.

Dells new ultrabooks look pretty tasty...decisions

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password