Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

I hope to pick up a 128GB surface pro tomorrow. Will get the type cover with it and order the fastest biggest micro SD card with sd card adapter and max ram at newegg. Hope to re-vitalize my photo editing and finally get a portfolio together. I have a laptop, I see this as a device for LR4 sorts with USB3 2.5" catalog drives. Final edits to be done on my calibrated desktop. Hate sorting sitting at my PC after a long day at work. Will edit all of my CANON photos on it and install DPP to shoot tethered.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:47 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #2 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Way cool, I have high hopes for this one. Especially with the next generation of Intel cpus that will have an even higher performance/watt ratio. Looking forward to your impressions of it!

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:08 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #3 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Is the surface pro a tablet or a notebook? It seems a bit of both.

I had been waiting to get a Google Nexus 10 for use with my Canon 6D. It has the best display on the market, I think. Every time I checked online it was out of stock in Canada and I just discovered today that the 16GB version is now available for $409.

http://www.google.ca/nexus/10/

The surface pro looks intriguing but it's expensive, double the price of the thin 14" i5 notebook I already own with Windows 7.

I'd be interested in your first impressions of this beast and how well it works for your intended use.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:35 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

I think this is the way of the future. Fusion of tablet and laptop.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:12 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

It's trying to be everything in one package and falls short; way too heavy and too small a battery life for a tablet, and their are better options if you want a laptop/ultrabook. However, I think the second or third generation will be much better. Haswell and it's successor will bring much better battery life and have superior integrated graphics.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:34 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #6 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Running the full LR4 is worth the cost of entry for me. I don't really need battery more than 4 hours. I think I may be a special case, but this looks like a perfect fit.

High quality screen
USB 3.0
Super precise pen with pressure sensitivity
Fast CPU and SSD
Micro SD slot
Runs LR4, PS and DPP
Decent battery life for what I need
Light enough

Not really any options out there with this stuff. The Helix will start at $1500 and has been delayed and I have looked at the other new OEM W8 hardware and was not blown away. Sure Hazwell CPUs will be better, but I can sell this one and get that later. I need something now. I also have a 17 MBP and a desktop. Android and iPad options are not for me because of the no USB and/or no LR4 issue. I tried that workflow. This also makes it more likely that photos get out of LR and onto the web

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:01 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Pixel Perfect wrote:
It's trying to be everything in one package and falls short; way too heavy and too small a battery life for a tablet, and their are better options if you want a laptop/ultrabook. However, I think the second or third generation will be much better. Haswell and it's successor will bring much better battery life and have superior integrated graphics.

This is what I think.

Given price, battery, weight... I'd rather just have an ultra-book type thing. Namely, a macbook air.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I had been waiting to get a Google Nexus 10 for use with my Canon 6D. It has the best display on the market, I think. Every time I checked online it was out of stock in Canada and I just discovered today that the 16GB version is now available for $409.

http://www.google.ca/nexus/10/

Any idea why is says "WiFi only" yet the specs show "CONNECTIVITY Micro USB"?

Does that mean the micro USB can only be used for charging?

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:35 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

justruss wrote:
This is what I think.

Given price, battery, weight... I'd rather just have an ultra-book type thing. Namely, a macbook air.

Exactly my thoughts. The MAC airs are very nice to work with...yet very light. If I want portability for my profile, I take my iPad. If it is extensive post processing, I use a dedicated work station.

Using something that is not good for either seems like a waste. Too heavy to be really portable, yet not as goidbat post processing as a work station.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:51 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

They're hoping to find a niche somewhere between an iPad and notebook. Might be a smart move since it would be difficult to carve out a spot in those two markets. Whether that works for them is the billion dollar question. I'm happy with a iPad for around town/traveling and a work station at home (Mac Pro). Rarely use my MacBook Pro anymore and don't need anything between the extremes.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #11 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

They only got 1 unit in their shipment for the display model Wasted an hour standing around I did get a bacon maple bar on the way home though.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:08 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #12 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

It's trying to be everything in one package and falls short;

+1

+10!

MS has demonstrated once again that they can't design devices that most people want. Both the Surface and the Windows Phone will go the way of the Zune.

John

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:09 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #13 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

They should sell at least a dozen of these in 2013

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:18 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

Judging by the commercials I've seen, it's best use is as a prop in modern dance.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:47 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #15 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

You guys really don't like this device! Have you used one?

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:34 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

I have a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch and the new ThinkPad Helix (which is an i7 slate that snaps into a base to become a regular ultrabook.)

Really enjoying both, but for whatever reason I like the X1 Carbon Touch the best. I have a very light ThinkPad Tablet 2 that runs Win8 Pro if I want a slate (y'all can guess where I work... ), but I just like the X1 - super thin, light and all the power of a real PC...

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:01 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

not sure how something like the surface pro is more practical than a laptop when doing quick edits in the field. In order to get a big enough screen, and enough horsepower to make worthwhile edits you might as well have a laptop

And, can't wait for the forum police (you know who I mean) jumps in to say this doesn't belong in the canon forum.

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:42 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

This does not belong to the canon gear forum

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:14 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

I just played with one at the Microsoft store tonight. It's a beautiful tablet in many ways, and
the screen has 1920x1080 resolution.

I am sorry to report, however, that the web browsing experience for photos (at least in
Internet Explorer, which is all that was loaded) is POOR. Photos do not look sharp.
It looks like they are doing some expanding/re-sizing of the web images to fit the screen.
I could find no way to defeat this.

Frankly, the Retina iPad running Safari did the same thing.

Very disappointing. Images looked lousy but text looked crisp and clean. I suspect this
is just a web browser issue, and I'd love to see how Chrome works on the Surface Pro.
I expect your own images under DPP will look fine, but I don't know.

I am amazed that these companies can put this stuff out there without giving it to
a photographer for 5 minutes first.

In other ways, that Surface Pro looks sweet. If you get one, tell us how it looks running
DPP.

Tim

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:49 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Surface Pro and DPP tethered shooting

I suspect it will be discontinued by the end of the year...

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:31 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password