Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I am starting to think that lens calibration is just a bi...

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I am starting to think that lens calibration is just a bit of lunacy.

I get wrapped up into obsessives like many into gear.

The more I play with things, the more I tend to confuse the situation.

There are times when I feel I also do more harm than good.

I am by no means perfect, and sure adding more experience would help.

But at the moment I think I need to just leave things go and shoot.

Yeah some lenses have some quirks, but is it not partly what makes an image interesting is to have some of these quirks?

I am tired of worrying about ca, distortion, etc. I feel like a good quality shot is not about the quirks but about the subject and sometimes the imperfections add to the personality.

I guess, time to just shoot and quit tweaking.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I am starting to think that lens calibration is just a bit of lunacy.

With the snow storm overnight in PA, now might be a good time to print off some test targets and MA everything. No wait, you probably have some gorgeous snow scenes that need capturing. Go shoot.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I am starting to think that lens calibration is just a bit of lunacy.

"But at the moment I think I need to just leave things go and shoot.

Yeah some lenses have some quirks, but is it not partly what makes an image interesting is to have some of these quirks?

I am tired of worrying about ca, distortion, etc. I feel like a good quality shot is not about the quirks but about the subject and sometimes the imperfections add to the personality.

I guess, time to just shoot and quit tweaking. "

You have it figured out my friend, I honestly believe that the manufacturers include the micro adjustment thing to get the "front focus-back focus" people that constantly return perfectly good lenses off their backs. Put a lens on your camera, take it out and shoot with it. If you're happy with the results, leave it alone. You're far more likely to to screw it up than improve on it by messing with it.
If you're not happy, before you pack it up and send it back to Nikon or Canon, stop and think what you might be doing wrong before you assume that your gear is defective. 9 times out 10 it's us and not the lens.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I am starting to think that lens calibration is just a bit of lunacy.

popinvasion wrote:

But at the moment I think I need to just leave things go and shoot.

I am tired of worrying about ca, distortion, etc. I feel like a
...Show more

If your equipment is not easy to calibrate then most likely there is a real problem that requires service. Of course some cameras and lenses are poorly designed and there is only so much that can be done.

EBH

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password